Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas decorations in the BSC

Options
  • 10-11-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Well, apart from thinking they go up way too early, does anyone else think the decorations in the shopping center are seriously dated at this stage? They are so dreary. (IMO) Bit of color wouldn't go a miss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The ones by M&S are nice. I love the red things that are hanging from the ceiling. I didn't pay attention to any of the rest of the decorations so I can't comment on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

I love the decorations in the centre!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

You are joking?!

I think the Towncentre decorations look very nice and they could easily get a couple of more years out of them.

I was up there only today and was admiring them.

Edit.
    The singing penguin thingies (last year polar bears??) at the fountain are not to my liking but the kids love them.

Ps. I agree they go up too early but that is epidemic not just the towncentre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

amdublin wrote: »
    The singing penguin thingies (last year polar bears??) at the fountain are not to my liking but the kids love them.

The poor polar bears just had to be retired. The big button to start them was just a mass of insulating tape last year and it was pot luck if they started when a kid pressed them. Our daughter had a fascination with them and bet the crap out of the button to try get it started. When we eventually convinced her they were having a rest and got away from it they'd kick off randomly resulting in a rush back to them.

• Advertisement

There is/was a button for those things to sing:confused:

I thought they just sing/sang randomly all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

well, the kids are probably going to hit that button a bazillion times a day, so doubt it goes anywhere

amdublin wrote: »
    There is/was a button for those things to sing:confused:

I thought they just sing/sang randomly all the time
    folan wrote: »
    well, the kids are probably going to hit that button a bazillion times a day, so doubt it goes anywhere

The new set up is probably the same but when the polar bears were there there was a button just in front of them that started them. On a quiet mid week there would be silence until someone pressed the button. On a busy weekend it would appear that it was constant but stand around there and you'll see the kids pushing away.

Last year as I said the button got wrecked so the whole thing stopped working and I'm sure it equated to blissful silence for staff in the shops around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

Any public Christmas decs should be outlawed until at least 1st Dec.................Bah Humbug!

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

Any public Christmas decs should be outlawed until at least 1st Dec.................Bah Humbug!

I totally second this and I love Christmas. Two and a half months to celebrate a seasonal holiday that lasts a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think the decorations are lovely but its just way way to early to be thinking about Christmas

For your perusal

You see, I told ya there was a button :D And a new improved one too !

I bet you pressed it too to see what it did !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

They all look great. I'm in the 'never too early for decorations' camp. :)

I love the trees near M&S

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You see, I told ya there was a button :D And a new improved one too !

I bet you pressed it too to see what it did !

I did! It was great!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

When I used to work in the centre they used to be up late on Halloween night putting them up. At least they wait a few days now.

I think they're lovely decorations especially at night, but it is far too early. I've been avoiding the centre as much as possible these past two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I'd prefer if all Christmas decorations ad's and music was left till Dec 1st and then everyone could go mental with it, And if everyone (shops/centers/pubs/restaurants/etc) done it for the same day I think it would make it look and feel more special.

Putting them up the day or two after Halloween just seems OTT to me, In regards to question by dicky82 I like the main entrance but from above the pond towards Dunnes and out to the yellow entrance I think looks terrible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Dec 20th is early enough really for decorations IMO. Bah humbug!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

December 28th is either too early or too late.

no pleasing some people ;)

as I see it, a lot of people have already started their christmas shopping (if what i perceived on Sunday to be increased volume was that), so why not throw up the decorations. it gets you into the christmas spirit even though its many peoples least favorite part of christmas.

tldr; the decorations this year are nice, and cheered me up while i was doing the dreadful christmas shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

it's those giant gold/silver balls, they are so tacky/dated (imo) the penguins and the now retired polar bears are/were good. anyone ever remember going into town for the 'lights' at Christmas? and I think 'Switzor's' window with all the moving elves and Santy's? I can't see those gold and silver balls getting the Christmas juices flowing.

Dude I am going to post some photos of some horrendousness I saw going up on the outside of the Stephen's Green SC and you are going to thank your lucky stars you live beside the Towncentre lol!

Check this out - picture is not great

Edit. Sorry this is a really really bad pic. Will see if I can find something online

Okay do you remember the Stephen's Green sc used to look lovely and traditional with red and green garlands looping from window to window.

Not anymore :(
    Today they were putting up vertical lines (about a foot long) made up of luminous blue,green and pink (mainly pink)

From a distance it looks like one big neon pink light :confused:

There are some really bad decorations on George's Street. Soviet inspired, I think

Some more Blanch Town Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I like the Blanch decos, they always look fairly traditional.

Modern 'interpreted' decos in shops should be banned. Christmas is about trees lights and garlands, in green, red, gold and white. Its a red card from me for blue, silver, purple, pink

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I like the Blanch decos, they always look fairly traditional.

Modern 'interpreted' decos in shops should be banned. Christmas is about trees lights and garlands, in green, red, gold and white. Its a red card from me for blue, silver, purple, pink

Steer clear of Stephen's Green SC so!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jackson Pollock

I've a sore neck reading and looking at this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

The decorations look gorgeous. Anyone remember back when they had crackers and presents hanging from the roof? I love the current lot, they're really tasteful.

Advertisement