Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sport Science?

Options
  • 10-11-2013 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Looking at Sports Science for next year and I know/have heard that there is a broad range of careers you can go into with this type of degree, but just wondering what people think about the career opportunities in Ireland? Also, what certain area do you think would be best to go into if I wanted to work in Ireland? Finally, what countries abroad would be best to look at for this type of work? Thanks for any help people :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MMNrunning

Hi Leaving Certificate 2014,

There is a multitude of careers you could go into having completed a Sport Sciences degree. It will really depend on the strand which you find of most interested throughout the course. Over the four years you will cover psychology, biomechanics (how physics acts on the body), physiology and also cover other areas such as anatomy, strength and conditioning, coaching etc. As sport science is becoming more professionally recognised in Ireland I think you will be coming out at a great time. Like any work however it will be up to you to put in the graft throughout the course to get this career. All of the people I have seen to be successful coming out of Sport Science related degrees all worked in college, but also put in numerous hours in their chosen field outside of college. For example those who are now working in strength and conditioning worked with club teams, in gyms, as personal trainers etc so that they had a mass of experience along with their degree after four years. They also built up a CV of related certificates such as UKSCA and FMS to support this experience. Those that were interested in physiology/biomechanics undertook research during their summers or got relevant placement experience during their placement period in third year. There is also now a growing increase in the amount of companies providing sports performance analysis within Ireland and so this opens up another field of opportunity in terms of stats analysis, GPS etc. In terms of Sports Science abroad Australia, the UK, Canada and the United States are the best in my opinion. These countries have a multitude of professional sports and the financial backing to go along with it and so provide more opportunity for Sport Science careers.

Having completed and thoroughly enjoyed a sports science degree I am perhaps biased in my opinion but hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BOD_IS_GOD_13

Is it possible to get a good job with a degree in sports science without going to UCD,DCU or UL? For example say you went to AIT or ITC and did a sport science course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HMBVMc

Hi BOD_IS_GOD_13

It depends on what you consider a good job. Within the Sport Science industry the applied and practical work requires experience and qualifications often external to the Sport Science syllabus, that way going to either a University or an IT doesn't matter. However if you think you would prefer to go down an academic route, i.e. research or lecturing, then going through the University system is probably more favourable. Also I believe that obtaining a degree from a University may again be looked upon more favourably if you want to go abroad with your qualification. So ultimately it depends on what work you want to get out of it in the end. Also don't forget that the UK offers multiple Sport Science degree options if DCU/UL etc. aren't a possibility. Hope that helps.

HMBVMc wrote: »
    Hi BOD_IS_GOD_13

It depends on what you consider a good job. Within the Sport Science industry the applied and practical work requires experience and qualifications often external to the Sport Science syllabus, that way going to either a University or an IT doesn't matter. However if you think you would prefer to go down an academic route, i.e. research or lecturing, then going through the University system is probably more favourable. Also I believe that obtaining a degree from a University may again be looked upon more favourably if you want to go abroad with your qualification. So ultimately it depends on what work you want to get out of it in the end. Also don't forget that the UK offers multiple Sport Science degree options if DCU/UL etc. aren't a possibility. Hope that helps.

I would love a job working with a professional sports team or something along those lines but i was just wondering if you went to say carlow IT would it be possible to get a job in the field of working with professional clubs or athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HMBVMc

Unfortunately I can't predict the future, and no one can say what the job market will be like in 4 years time. However, one thing seems to be consistent and that is regardless of what college or university you go to it will often be what you gain during or after by way of experience that counts. Most people who are working with professional sports teams will have a Masters or a certificate in a specific qualification i.e. UKSCA. A lot of teams will require more than a primary degree. Also these people will have put in a lot of voluntary experience in with local, club, school or university teams. Like most other industries these days, a degree on it's own is not enough.

• Advertisement

HMBVMc wrote: »
    Unfortunately I can't predict the future, and no one can say what the job market will be like in 4 years time. However, one thing seems to be consistent and that is regardless of what college or university you go to it will often be what you gain during or after by way of experience that counts. Most people who are working with professional sports teams will have a Masters or a certificate in a specific qualification i.e. UKSCA. A lot of teams will require more than a primary degree. Also these people will have put in a lot of voluntary experience in with local, club, school or university teams. Like most other industries these days, a degree on it's own is not enough.

Ok thanks! Does anyone know what sort of points will sport science be this year? Is it more likely to go up or down?

Advertisement