Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just arrived in Ireland

• 10-11-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello,

I was starting kitesurfing in my home country (Portugal) and I just arrived in Ireland (Athlone).

Can someone tell me what is the best place, for a newbie, the most near from Athlone?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Hello,

I was starting kitesurfing in my home country (Portugal) and I just arrived in Ireland (Athlone).

Can someone tell me what is the best place, for a newbie, the most near from Athlone?

Thanks

finora 1.5 .hr drive I guess if you want beech. otherwise a lake up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 toguiguibogui

Hello,

Thanks for replying!

You mean Fanore beach?

Is it a normal spot for Kite surfers?
    What I mean is,
    if the weather conditions are good, I will not be alone on the beach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Hello,

Thanks for replying!

You mean Fanore beach?

Is it a normal spot for Kite surfers?
    What I mean is,
    if the weather conditions are good, I will not be alone on the beach?

It's hugely popular. I doubt you'd be alone. another popular is silver strand in galway. around the cliff side. good conditions always about 4 out.

Galway K9 wrote: »
    It's hugely popular. I doubt you'd be alone. another popular is silver strand in galway. around the cliff side. good conditions always about 4 out.

Hello,

thanks for the help. I will try those beaches...

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

check out kitesurfing.ie as well.. great forum,. good place to meet kiters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 squeeba

kitesurfing.ie is closing down, this forum is to replace it...

Check out LSDkiteboarding.com to see if anyone is heading out in the sligo area, we're usually out when its windy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

squeeba wrote: »
    kitesurfing.ie is closing down, this forum is to replace it...

Check out LSDkiteboarding.com to see if anyone is heading out in the sligo area, we're usually out when its windy!

Are ya serious!?? Jesus use to love that forum back in the day,, havent been on it in a good 3 years though!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 squeeba

ya unfortunately truth, this place wont be the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 tonyhumphreys

Hello,

thanks for the help. I will try those beaches...

thanks
    1.5 hours East will get you to Dollymount in Dublin for easterlies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 whitenoise

tacofries wrote: »
    Are ya serious!?? Jesus use to love that forum back in the day,, havent been on it in a good 3 years though!

Could be why it is no more ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 paolo818

Galway K9 wrote: »
    finora 1.5 .hr drive I guess if you want beech. otherwise a lake up there.

Hi Galway K9...which lake do you mean? Thanks

Paolo

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paolo818

Hello,

Thanks

Hi toguiguibogui.. there are few beaches in Dublin.. quieter than Co Clare I think.. However I am a newbie as well.. when you come to dublin.. send me an e-mail and we go together .. it could be helpful for both..

Paolo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭rje66

Hello,

Thanks
    traught beach outside kinvara is about 1hr10mins from athlone. sligo is about 1hr45 -2hrs dor to door . dublin beaches about 2hrs door to door.
    im from athlone(based in dublin)pm me and next time im down, few weekends a month, can meet and tell you all the spots etc.

rje66 wrote: »
    traught beach outside kinvara is about 1hr10mins from athlone. sligo is about 1hr45 -2hrs dor to door . dublin beaches about 2hrs door to door.
    im from athlone(based in dublin)pm me and next time im down, few weekends a month, can meet and tell you all the spots etc.

Thanks, I apreciate.
    By the way, I was this weekend on Traught, and saw no one there... Is there any spot, where propõe go for sure ir there is wind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 whitenoise

Traught only works in West through to North North east, Maybe everyone was somewhere else

whitenoise wrote: »
    Traught only works in West through to North North east, Maybe everyone was somewhere else

Is There any way to know, what is the popular beach according with the Wind?

Thanks a lot

Is There any way to know, what is the popular beach according with the Wind?

Thanks a lot

for galway area
    West - NE traught
    South E-South W silver strand (Restrictions in summer)
    not sure about East
    try here

http://kitegalway.freeforums.org/

Hello,

Thanks

im in athlone this fri and sat. gimme a shout if you can meet up and ill fill you in on the best areas.

Ah great, thanks.

Friday would be perfect for me, cause Saturday I will be out.

Thanks

rje66 wrote: »
    im in athlone this fri and sat. gimme a shout if you can meet up and ill fill you in on the best areas.

Hello Richie,

Thanks a lot for the good tips and the maps, that you gave me.
    The Irish really know how to receive.

Regards

• Advertisement
Advertisement