Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Jesus, C, that is dreadful news in terms of the timing but of course the big picture is what counts. I'm gutted for you about Berlin, considering the work you've been doing, the progress made and also your encouragement of my own modest efforts. Hope you can still make the trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I'll quit moaning about my gimpy hip now, glad it was caught in time & you make a full recovery and are back running soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

That's crap. Best wishes for a speedy recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Ferris,
    In time, you will look back and reflect on how lucky you have been. Missing a target race, despite the great training, pales in significance to your health. The day you went for that check up, was the luckiest day of your life.
    The very best of luck with everything.
    PB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I know you are frustrated about the target but Berlin will still be there year in year out along with every other marathon. Your health and well being is the paramount (and is half the reason we take up this crazy sport)

The main thing is that it was caught early and while I know you don't feel it at the moment it was lucky it was caught when it was.

Best of luck with a speedy recovery for your sake and your families

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Sorry to hear you won't be running Berlin, I was really enjoying watching you progress through your plan here BUT the fact that this thing was discovered and repaired so early is a good thing, running shmunning ( I know, easy for me to say).
    Like you say, this could have turned into something a lot worse than it is but that has been avoided thankfully.

I'm sure you'll be back logging here before too long, best of luck with everything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

So sorry to hear your news. But what a relief that they caught it early. And the fact that you are so fit will no doubt help with the recovery.

I guess we won't be passing each other on the seafront for a while, but you should have lots of Parkrun volunteering opportunities now. :-)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

(Murph's other half)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Tues 9th - Update

It's been mentioned before on this forum but I'll say it again, the Boards running community are great. It's fantastic to get such such kind words of encouragement and sage advice from friends, acquaintances and some complete strangers. A big Thank You to you all.

Currently I physically feel great. My unplanned op went very well and essentially I'm now fixed although it's not quite business as usual as I will have a few restrictions, I just haven't been told what they are yet. Mentally, I was obviously somewhat angry at the enforced cancellation of some long term goals but as the days go by that is easing and I'm just dealing with it as I begin to see the big picture. The ironic thing about it all is that as far as I was concerned, last week I was fitter, faster, healthier and lighter that I have been in the last 4 years that I've been running. I just didn't know there there was a small matter of a little time bomb about to go off inside me. Luckily for me the bomb squad got there in time...

While I'm not running Berlin (do tears damage keyboards?), my plan is to head over there anyway for the weekend as waterboy and supporter to all Boards runners taking part. I'll also now have the advantage of course of getting to see the sights of Berlin properly at strolling pace rather than watching them zip past at 6:50 m/m. It promises to be a great weekend.

As regards this running log, I'm not sure just yet just what direction it's going to take. The renamed title is certainly apt though with all the mad things going on. I've an appointment with Nurse Ratched on Friday and my running future, amongst other things will be discussed. Here's hoping I'll be lacing up the runners again soon.

Talk soon,

Ferris B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Sorry to hear about your health problems Ferris. Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm curious as to why you got a heart health check in the first place?

Highly recommend the Sandeman free walking tour in Berlin, it's one of the best tours I've ever been on. Enjoy the city!

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your health problems Ferris. Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm curious as to why you got a heart health check in the first place?

No problem SeanP.

A small bit of a back story first. I would have had a history of high cholesterol (hereditary) and borderline high blood pressure which is part of the reason I took up running about 4 years ago. I wasn’t necessarily leading an unhealthy life (maybe just slightly overweight, non smoker, reasonable but not perfect diet, golf fit etc) but as I was in my early 40’s the high cholesterol levels was something that needed to be watched. GP advised exercise and diet as way of initially controlling the chol levels. Move forward 3.5 years and 4 marathons (3:42, 3:29, 3:25, 3:12) later, I became much fitter and healthier (& faster!) and having really got the running bug, I decided to ramp up my running to 50k and connemarathon (39m) distances in early 2014. Before undertaking these ultras, I decided (well, I was told to by my wife) to get a treadmill exercise test (Bruce test) carried out to be sure all was in order. This I did, and passed with flying colours although the high BP was noted. The diligent cardiologist also carried out an echocardiogram ( like an ultrasound scan of the heart) and again nothing abnormal was noted and I was given the all clear. While I was given the green light, I was reminded my cholesterol levels were not ideal and that I should have an annual stress test and maybe some medical intervention (cholesterol tabs) may be needed.

I got through the two ultras (feb and april) unscathed and my running continued. During June, I then developed a slight pain/ discomfort in my left chest at the start of every run. This would last for about 6-8mins during a warm up and would then dissipate and I’d forget about it. I was running some reasonably tough sessions at this stage and it was only in the warm up that this 'pain' was evident. While this didn’t happen on every run it occurred on and off for about about 4 weeks. While I wasn't overly concerned, it was niggling at me so I decided then to contact the same cardiologist and get their opinion. In view of my history, it was suggested I get a CT cardiac scan and I was given a referral letter. I didn’t actually do anything about it for a few weeks as the pain had completely ceased and I went on holidays. I even ran a reasonable 1:26 hm in the meantime with no absolutely issues. A quick check back though with the cardiologist and we agreed while the pain had stopped the prudent thing to do would still be to get the CT Scan. This scan showed up something. I think I wasn’t told exactly what so as not to worry me but I was instructed not to run until the more invasive angiogram a few days later where it was confirmed I had a 70-80% blockage in Left Anterior Descending Artery and a stent was inserted to sort out the issue.

I’ve given a bit of extra detail here as perhaps there may be others in a similar position wondering should they get checked out. Bear in mind, it's important to remember, these are my circumstances and everyones situation is different and I wouldn't like to unnecessarily scare the bejaysus out of everyone. All I'll say though if in any doubt about anything, get to your GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭jfh

You made some great progress with marathon, where do you go from here?

Do you have to cut out marathons?
    do you think blockage was always there or did it occur since you started running.
    Excuse all the questions.
    Something that interests a lot who turn to running later on in life

jfh wrote: »
    You made some great progress with marathon, where do you go from here?

Do you have to cut out marathons?
    do you think blockage was always there or did it occur since you started running.
    Excuse all the questions.
    Something that interests a lot who turn to running later on in life

I've no clue yet about future running. To be discussed in the near future.

Impossible to tell timing re 'blockage', other than it would have built up gradually over time. Suggestion is that it's primarily just a result of poor cholesterol genes.

Monday 15th

I had my serious chat with the doc the other day where my 'rehabilitation' was discussed. Basically I've been told no running for 6 months. In a couple of weeks I'll be allowed a bit of easy jogging up to around 5k distance but a low effort levels. While I kind of guessed this was coming, I think being told this news was more of a shock to the system than being told I needed a stent! One of the main reasons for the rest is to allow the stent time to 'bed in' rather than any coronary disease issue. After my 6 month parole, all going well, I should be able to get back to half marathon distance in late 2015 and if I'm really good and well behaved, a marathon(s?) in 2016. The vibes I'm getting though from the medical fraternity is that they're not to keen on marathons in general. That's a discussion for another day...

While I won't be updating my own log in the near future, I do plan still keeping an eye on the boards and its running community. I've learn't a lot from these threads ( my own included) and plan to stay in touch.

I'm off now to the golf forum....'My journey to single figure handicap'

Talk soon

C.

Golf forum? Every cloud has a silver lining, I s'pose. :)

Saturday 7th Feb

Back in the saddle...

Got the all clear from the doc to recommence running. I am allowed up to half marathon distance for the next 12 months and maybe a bit further after that. (Dublin 2016?) All good news.

Summary of my activity for the last 5 months:

40 x 5k's at 9/9:30 pace.

Reintroduced myself to faster running without the leash at this mornings Parkrun in St Annes where I managed a reasonable 20:48. Feel particularly unfit but delighted to be back.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Good to see you back at it, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great news Chief :)

Welcome back, get your lipstick ready for a running date

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Great to see you back on your feet man you deserve all the luck in the world this year considering the patience you have had to exhibit over the last few months

I’m obviously out of the habit of updating my log but without any definite goal or program just yet there’s not too much to report on, just a bit of base building and trying to regain some level of fitness before I find myself a new target to work towards. While there’s some small signs of my previous training paces reappearing I’m still a long way off chasing any PB’s.

Sun 8th Feb 5.3 m 8:14 pace HR 147
    Wed 11th Feb 5.3m 7:58 pace HR 144
    Fri 13th Feb 4.1m 8:06 pace
    Sat 14th Feb 8m 8:20 pace
    Sun 15th Feb 5.3m 7:42 pace Fartlek type run

Took a week long break here for some skiing in Switzerland which was spectacular. (The scenery as opposed to my skiing). The altitude appears to have done my HR good as the ave HR for my regular 5.3 loop dropped a few beats on my return.

Tue 24th Feb 5.3m 7:57 pace HR 138
    Wed 25th Feb 5.3m 7:51 pace
    Fri 27th Feb 5.2m 8:20 pace
    Sat 28th Feb 2m WU + 5k PARK RUN (19:57) + 3m CD – Total 8m

Ran this park run in the company of FBOT who jogged around teasing me with trying to make conversation while I was near to max output. Think he was staying close to me in case I’d keel over. Dipped in just under 20 min so happy enough with my efforts considering the late night cards and vino the night before.

Tue 3rd Mar 6.6m 8:25 pace
    Wed 4th Mar 6.4m 8:05 pace

Ran this one again with FBOT for support. I joined him for the start of a speed session but bailed out when the pace got silly.

Sat 5th Mar 10m 8:28 pace.

This was my longest run this year and it felt great to do it. There was a mad gale blowing which blew me out along the coast to Sutton at 8:10 ish pace and HR at c. 135. On the return with the HR at c 145 the pace dropped to a paltry 9-9:10. It was crazy windy, but I loved it.

Sun 6th Mar 5.3m 7:55 pace

Wasn’t going to head out as had played golf in the am and gone for long walk in the P Park but was inspired by all super times appearing out of Ballycotton, Bohermeen etc so went out for my regular 5m loop.

I need to find myself a race and a plan to give a bit of focus to my running.

You're making me feel bad for complaining about the wind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Nice work Ferris, clocking up those miles again. Any thoughts on what races/ distances (I know you can go up to HM) you might do? Race Series potentially?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Ferris B wrote: »
    I need to find myself a race and a plan to give a bit of focus to my running.
    Great to see u back C. Donadea 100km entry in d post :)

Killerz wrote: »
    Nice work Ferris, clocking up those miles again. Any thoughts on what races/ distances (I know you can go up to HM) you might do? Race Series potentially?

Race series is definitely worth considering. Wouldn't mind a half before summer as well though.

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Donadea 100km entry in d post :)

Some day...just don't tell the doc or the missus

Good luck today, C.

6th April 2015
    Battle of Clontarf 10

Work has me busy for the last few months ( I started real job back in Nov while on medical leave) so haven’t had much time to update this log. Running wise I’ve been getting in about 3-4 runs a week with mileage maxing out at about 30 miles. I’m not following any plan and not varying my runs enough but I throw in the odd stride now and again just to keep me awake and have managed a few parkruns.

I entered this race last year and enjoyed it. As it’s in the neighbourhood I decided to enter if only for the experience of racing again. I’ve only 2 months running under my belt since my lay off so fitness isn’t great and I really didn’t know what to expect timewise.

My thinking before the start was go off at 7:15 ish pace and see how it goes. Once we were off though I noticed first mile was gone in 6:42! Even though I felt comfortable at the time I dialed it back a bit to just over 7:00 as I knew I couldn’t hold that pace. The route was different to last year with loads of turns but there was plenty of marshals about giving direction and encouragement. FBOT was also out and about marshalling the marshals and giving very welcome support. My OH plus both kids were giving plenty of roars of encouragement and making sure I didn’t keel over.

I dozed off in mile 4 (7:22) but refocused when I realised my average pace suggested I was actually in for a chance of sub 70 if I got my act together so kept that then as the goal for the remainder of the race. From about mile 5 I don’t think I was passed by anyone and just worked on picking off runners one by one. I felt quite strong for the last few miles and for the last 2, I upped the pace a bit to finish with a 6:27 last mile. Crossed in 1:09:08 with a 1.5 min neg split so was quite pleased considering the lack of training.

Good to meet some boardsies there too... Meno, Ecoli. Nice running guys. Great organisation by Raheny too, they put on a good show and even brought out the sun.

A good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great to see you back at it C, you're ramping it up nicely.

We'll have to meet for a date and a Teddys ice cream soon.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

Hey Ferris B, really pleased to see you are back running ( and competing). Berlin seems a long time ago now. Keep well.

Well done C, great to see you back on form and as always you make it sound so easy!!

• Advertisement

Great Ireland Run - 11th April

Decided to give this a go as a few others were also running. With less than 2 months unfocused training though I wasn't sure what I time should aim for. My 10k PB of 38:56 was certainly not going to be tested so I picked a more achieveable target of trying to better my previous best for the same race (41:36) set in 2013.

Conditions on the day were windy which made things a bit more difficult. I spent most of the run jumping from one big person to the next in an effort to draft. My splits were reasonably steady until about 7k when I started to flag a bit as the hurt started. A nice shout out from Murph (ok, I actually saw him first) in the last km spurred me on and I pushed it to the finish line and crossed in 40:53, just behind Rob Heffernan who walked!

Very pleased with my efforts though. There's still signs of life in the old dog!

Splits:
    06:31
    06:36
    06:19
    06:32
    06:42
    06:32
    01:41

Advertisement