Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I've been wondering about this too - my new S&C routine is still quite tame but I think I will be trying to move it to an easy day as it gets more challenging - I like my rest days to involve nothing more strenuous than a sauna. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Ferris B wrote: »
    Could run out of days in the week to get two s&c sessions in. Can't do Monday (day before session), can't do tues ( day of session), can't do wed ( day before session ) , can't do thurs ( day of session). That leaves 3 days for 2 s&c sessions and I've a long run on sunday. Hmmmm:confused::confused::confused:

S&c early session. Run session late more recovery sorted :pac:
    bet your glad you started posting regularly again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

RayCun wrote: »
    I think when this came up on the main forum, there was an argument for doing this work on a session day, so that you could keep your easy days easy. Rather than hard running day, hard gym day, hard run day, and so on.

But I just run when I can, and go to the gym when I can, and that will have to do.

This would be my way of thinking.

Although as you rightly point out that's in an ideal world. In real life you get it done when you can.

Wk 5/18 London 2017

Friday 20/01

Plan: 7m easy
    Actual: 7.2m easy (8:47)

Some nice recovery miles on grass in St Annes with Raheny Shamrocks’ latest new signing.

Sat 21/01

Plan: 6 Easy
    Actual: 7.9m (6.1m @7:57 ave and 1.7m @7:36)

Took a 3m mile route to Parkrun and then ran the Parkrun again at fairly easy pace with Murph_D. OK, pace was easy until last mile where it crept up to 7:18. Thankfully this week there was no testosterone fueled sprint to the finish line. Record numbers in St Annes which was good to see. Wonder how long that will last.

Spent too long yapping with boards folk over post run coffees and my 1.7m run home was quicker than planned to prevent being late for lift duty for the youngest. When did kids stop cycling? Grrr.

Sun 22/01

Plan: 12m Moderate pace
    Actual: 12.4m (7.49 min/m; HR 136 ave)

After 9 holes of golf, I grabbed FBOT for company and headed southside for a few miles up and down the Grand Canal. I’d forgotten Hanson’s advice for the long run pace and but knew it was sub 8:00min/m. Despite a bit too much stop-starting at junctions and a bit of swan swerving we comfortably managed an average of 7:49min/m. Re reading the tables again, it suggests , for a marathon time of 3:05-3:10, a LR pace of 7:42 – 7-54 min/m, so I was thereabouts. They call it 'Moderate Aerobic'. It’s actually bit faster than I thought, which I’ll need to pay attention to in the future.

I’m running in the Raheny 5 next Sunday which will mean a slight re jig of the program. I’ll use the race as Thursday’s tempo and do the ‘long run’ ( all 8 miles!) on Thursday. Everything else can stay the same.

Mileage summary: Actual (Plan)
    Week 5 : 56 (47)
    Total program : 227 (205)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

What's the aspirations for Raheny C?

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    What's the aspirations for Raheny C?

A sub 31 would be lovely but in reality I think it might be beyond my current fitness. PB is 31:01 from 2014 when I was in better shape, ironically from doing long miles training for Conn Ultra.

Managed 31:36 last year and would definitely want to beat that.

Are you racing it yourself?

A sub 31 would be lovely but in reality I think it might be beyond my current fitness. PB is 31:01 from 2014 when I was in better shape, ironically from doing long miles training for Conn Ultra.

Managed 31:36 last year and would definitely want to beat that.

Are you racing it yourself?

No reason why you shouldn't go sub 31 on current form, your motoring well. Trim the following week for me is the BIG and only goal race pre Barcelona.

Saw this clip and thought it appropriate for my log considering the title.

For some reason TbL came to mind. Have know idea why. Worth a look. Not sure about the last added in bit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Saw this clip and thought it appropriate for my log considering the title.

For some reason TbL came to mind. Have know idea why. Worth a look. Not sure about the last added in bit though.

Haha lol, I enjoyed that, my vests are off white and have holes :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

my vests
    TbL

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: how old are you?!

• Advertisement

So that's the TbL nursing home special.

London Marathon Week 6/18

Jeez, into week 6 already! Can’t say I’m feeling particularly fast or in anyway marathon fit. I suppose though it’s still early days. Got to have faith in the program and muddle on. Long road and all that. Anyway where was I...

Mon 23/01
    Plan 6m easy
    Actual: 6m (8:35)

Some easy miles mostly on grass through St Annes.

Tues 24/01
    Plan WU, 5x 1200m w/400rec, CD
    Actual: 2.6 m WU, 5x1200m w/400 rec, 2.3m CD. (Total 9m)

Fail. Target time for these was 4:35-4:40 with the hope of being nearer to the lower end and I was quite a way off that. Really wasn’t at the races with this session. Not sure if it was mind issues or just lazy ass. It wasn’t completely pedestrian from an effort viewpoint though as I was reasonably fecked for each 400m recovery. Hanson makes a comment that if you can’t run the recoveries you’ve run the intervals too fast. Well I could run the recoveries, but only just. I know Yaboya struggled with this session too so maybe it’s just a difficult one.

Splits 4:45 4:41 4:46 4:40

Wed 25/01
    Plan: Rest
    Actual: Rest from running

Don’t tell Kenny_G but I had another S&C session ( on my rest day!) in the pain factory again. He’s ramped up the exercises again both in difficulty and a few extra weights thrown in. Felt like Mr T with the weights hanging off me. All positive though and hopefully moving in the right direction. Mentioned a niggle in my calf which he kindly treated. Baseballs were used. Much pain and swearing!

Thurs 26/01
    Plan: wu , 7m tempo (mp), cd
    Actual: 8m moderate aerobic run 7:42

With Raheny 5 on Sunday, I swapped Sunday’s run to Thursday. It’s a step back week with the distance so only had 8 to run. Kept the pace up at the prescribed speed which took a little bit more effort than I would have liked. Bit blustery though which didn’t help.

Your �� with me on rest days, it's the heavy days on fatigued legs I was advised
    not to do S&C, as my weak calves maybe overloaded :)

All the best Sunday C, hope it goes well for you.

No reason why you shouldn't go sub 31 on current form, your motoring well.

Love it when i'm right, great going C, very well done.

Love it when i'm right, great going C, very well done.

Thanks B. I do too.:D

Might get you to read my tea leaves in April.:)

Wk 6/18 London 2017

Friday 27/01
    Plan: 6m easy
    Actual: 6m easy (8:13) with strides

Really had lead legs for this run on my local loop around the outside of St Annes. From previous experience the heavy legs are one sure sign it’s a race week. Added in 4 hill strides cos I think that’s what the cool kids appear to do near race day.

Sat 28/01
    Plan: 10 Easy
    Actual: 5.4m (8:05)

With some parental duties to attend to, I skipped the early run/ Parkrun combination and headed out later in the morning. Legs felt better than yesterday I reduced the prescribed distance in view of Sunday’s race.

I’ve been nursing a left glute niggle for a while now so did some work to try to ease that afterwards

Sun 29/01
    Plan: 8m Moderate pace
    Actual: 2.4m WU , Raheny 5m Race, 2m CD

My PB for this race (31:01) dates back to 2014 when I was fit and doing loads of miles but before my enforced 1.5 year running break. Last year’s time was 31:36 but at the time I felt I had more to give. So although this race is only a stepping stone on the marathon path, I still wanted to at least beat last year and all going well, push for a sub 31. With this mind I headed out with a pace of 6:15 in mind (31:15 run time) while at the same time trying to ignore the fact I couldn’t get anywhere near this pace only 5 days ago over a measly 1200m!

I lined up much further up than previous years as was always getting caught up in the melee that you get at a congested race start. Even so, before the off a rather large number of ‘elites’ joined the start from the front pushing me back further. So be it. The actual start line was unclear as unexpectedly there was no timing mat so I just started my watch at the gantry.

Although it was quite congested, I got away quite cleanly without too much weaving and energy wasting. Met Yaboya1 around the first corner and had a couple of brief words before I let him go. I recall checking the watch and seeing the pace near 6:05 so pulled back a little. Throughout the course of the first mile I was passed by what felt like an awful lot of runners. I hoped that I’d meet some of them again later but wasn’t prepared to up the pace at this stage. From mile 1 into 2, a clubmate, J who runs at a similar pace to me came up beside me and we were to leap frog each other till about mile 3.5m.

Climbing howth road to the left turn at Sybil Hill the pace dropped a bit but I knew I could pick it up again on the down hill. Looking back though I didn’t really make much use of the favourable slope on Sybil Hill or Mount Prospect Ave. I think I got too busy clockwatching to keep ave pace near 6:15 or pacing off J. Gave a shout to Kenny G who was on marshalling duty. He looked soaked and miserable:mad: from fighting the irate drivers. Fair play to the volunteers. Thank you.

While it was far from pedestrian here, in hindsight I could possibly have pushed it a little bit. I was passing though more than being passed which was positive. There was a climb and then a welcome downhill before we entered the very familiar St Annes. No more clockwatching from here . I did get bunched in a bit just after the sharp left turn at the bottom of the avenue as others ahead appear to slow and garmin showed pace slowed to near 6:25. Got a little frustrated and upped the pace to jump the group I was caught in. Having upped the effort I didn’t feel completely uncomfortable to the point I made a decision to maintain the increased effort going up the avenue and make a break for the finish. Definitely more focussed here and not much watching of the other runners coming down the ave on the other side. There was a brief panic though. Did I start my sprint for the line too soon at 1.5 miles out:eek:. I somehow held the effort levels and started passing more. Turned at the top and pushed on again back down the ave. Heard a great shout from Murph_D as we passed in opposite directions. Held it together up the last little drag before we left the park. Passed a few more runners as we exited and turned left.

AQuinn and AGYR were perfectly placed at the side of the park to give me a great roar and boost as the energy levels started to dwindle. I don’t have any finish line sprint to speak of so it was all about at least maintaining the effort. When I could make out the clock I could see 30:4X gun time. Wow, there’s a possible sub 31 on here. Held it together and crossed in 30:43 (chip time) absolutely delighted. Not just a ‘comeback PB’ but a real PB. First one in 2 years I think, at any distance.

Coffees, munchies (particular mention must go to Denis B’s flapjacks Mmmm) chats and a couple of pints followed with lots from this Parish, most of whom seemed very happy. Lots of PB’s. Jogged the 2m home afterwards carrying the monstrous goodie bag and wearing a sizeable smile.

Garmin Splits:
    6:11 6:16 6:18 6:16 5:40!
    (the last split measured .95 but I think I started watch late....I hope that's the reason)

Great confidence booster to the system.

Thanks again to Raheny Shamrocks and all volunteers on what was a wet cold day for them.

Back for more next year.

Week 6 : 44 (47)
    Total program : 271 (252)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Brilliant! super result!! The training plan is suiting you - good timing on the confidence boost too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Well done, nice PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done C. That was a helluva gallop over the last mile in particular. Serious congrats on a well earned pb.

• Advertisement

You ran home carrying that goody bag? That's as impressive as the PB. Great job all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Garmin Splits:
    6:11 6:16 6:18 6:16 5:40!

Great confidence booster to the system.

That's a super set of splits with a good finish. Its always great to see good training get the rewards it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

You were as calm gliding by us.

Delighted for your PB. Well done.

Brilliant! super result!! The training plan is suiting you - good timing on the confidence boost too.

Thanks A. Just need to stick to that plan. Ballycotton is my only other planned interruption. Thanks again well positioned shout out.
    Singer wrote: »
    Well done, nice PB!

Cheers B. Nice going yourself
    denis b wrote: »
    Well done C. That was a helluva gallop over the last mile in particular. Serious congrats on a well earned pb.

Thanks D. Was in a hurry in mile 5 to get in before the flapjacks were gone.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    You ran home carrying that goody bag? That's as impressive as the PB. Great job all round.

Got in the door and the bag was promptly raided by the kids. Followed by a token 'oh yeah how did you get on?'
    That's a super set of splits with a good finish. Its always great to see good training get the rewards it deserves.

Thanks A and great run yourself. I thought for a moment I'd beaten you. :D but it turned out to be your Balbriggan doppelganger. :(

London Marathon - Week 7/18

Mon 30/01
    Plan 6m easy
    Actual: 7m (8:42)

Legs felt surprisingly good after yesterday’s race. Joined FBOT for some recovery miles through St Annes. We kept getting stalked by The Claw out for his own recovery miles. Think he was just checking out the new shamrock in town.;)

40 min S&C session later with my new improved ramped up exercises.

Tues 31/01
    Plan: WU, 400 800 1200 1600 1200 800 400 w/400 rec, CD
    Actual: 1.9 m WU, 400 800 1200 1600 1200 800 400 w/400 rec, 2.7m CD. (Total 10m)

The club sessions are not quite suiting my program workouts so again ran this on by own by the path/cycle track out to Sutton. It looked like a tough session and didn’t disappoint on the toughness front. 1k more of fast running too (total 6.4k), compared to all the other tues speedwork sessions which were 4.8k – 5k. I programmed the watch for distance only, not pace although there was a minor aberration on last split where I had 400 miles:eek: rather than 400m! Had to guess that distance.

Perhaps buoyed by Sunday’s PB, I didn’t have my usual interval lethargy starting out, although by ½ way I was wishing it over. I was a sweaty mess by the end and fairly wrecked but a review of the splits later showed I done good which was pleasing. 2.7 m jog home to cool down.

Splits: Actual (Target)
    1:31 (1:33) 3:02 (3:04) 4:37 (4:35) 6:07(6:10) 4:38(4:35) 3:02(3:04) 1:37*(1:33)
    *c.425m

Looking forward to tomorrows rest.

Great racing C, well done on PB. Another impressive performance.

Wk 7/18 London 2017

Wed 1/02
    Plan : Rest
    Actual: Rest

Thurs 2/02
    Plan: WU, 7m @ pmp , CD
    Actual: 2.6m WU, 7m pmp, 1.8m CD . Total 10.1m

It was character building weather outside for this. Wet and blowing a gale. Wasn’t going to put it off though and plan was to at least run to effort and if that ended up being slow due to the weather , then so be it. Back up to St Annes again ( think I’m starting to recognise the individual squirrels) on my now familiar 2 and bit mile tempo loop. Pace turned out a bit quicker than planned ( 6:48 min/m average) without ever hitting my marathon HR zone ( 156 -161). Has me now wondering is my MP closer to 6:55min/m than 7:00 min/m. Of course the sub 3 fetishists would say it is. Will keep monitoring this.

Mile Splits
    6:54 6:54 6:54 6:50 6:48 6:45 6:49

Fri 3/02
    Plan: 7m easy
    Actual: 6.1m (9:08)

6 soggy marshy miles through St Annes on grass. Wasn’t wet and cold enough from the run :rolleyes: so helped Fbot with some Parkrun jr course measuring where we got properly soaked.

Sat 4/02
    Plan: 8m Easy
    Actual: 9.9m (8.8m @8:09; 1.1m @ 8:26)

Another early run/ Parkrun combination taking in a loop around fairview park before finishing with a Parkrun which I ran slightly faster than planned (22:45). Coffee, token sorting and chats and 1 mile jog home via the paper shop.

45 min S&C session at lunchtime.

Sun 5/02
    Plan: 14m Moderate pace
    Actual: 14m (7:39)

Considered running this pre breakfast but lazed around instead till 10 ish and did an out ‘n back to Sutton with a loop at either end. Bumped into annapr and laura_ac3, both looking sprightly along the seafront. Found the pace easy to achieve on the way out and only to discover it was wind assisted. Bit laboured on the return but nothing overly taxing. Enjoyed this run.

It’s strange to think that my longest run in the program will only be 2 miles longer than this. On previous programs I would be up to 21miles by now! Not getting concerned ( not yet anyway!) with the reduced mileage, just a casual observation.

Something else I have noted is that there are no strides or hill sprints prescribed. Out of curiosity I emailed the Hansons and received a kind response from one of their team advising that 4-6 x 15s strides would indeed be helpful and suggested I could fit them in at the end of one of my easy days. I’m impressed they took the time to reply.

Week 7 : 58 (54)
    Total program : 329 (306)

Glad you copped onto your real MP before you had to be told, take another 5 seconds off it as well to be correct.

Wk 8/18 London 2017

Mon 6/02

Plan 6m easy
    Actual: 6.1m (9:04)

Some recovery miles through St Annes with FBOT.

Tues 7/02

Plan: WU, 3 x 1600w/600 rec, CD
    Actual: 2.5 m WU, 3 x 1600 w/600 rec, 2.5m CD. (Total 9.1m)

A post on another thread by RickyVilla who is also following Hanson directed me towards blog post by the Hanson author, Luke Humphrey, which suggests that it would be better if speedwork sessions were not run on the track. Reasons given are to reduce injury if you’re not used to trackwork, you can run too fast on the track and also he suggests you can zone out on the protective confines of a track and not be in marathon mindset dealing with the challenges of road running. I can see the benefits and by coincidence most of my speedwork has been run away from the track. Likewise this session was back on the tarmac path out to Sutton. Target time for the 1600’s was around 6:10 which I managed. Glad when it was done though.

Splits: Actual (Target)
    6:10 (6:10) 6:08 (6:10) 6:02 (6:10)

Wed 8/02

Plan : Rest

Thurs 9/02

Plan: WU, 7m @ pmp , CD

Unplanned rest day. I’ve been getting a few mild chest pains, noot necessarily running related nor worsened with running but considering my history I thought it prudent to get it checked to investigate if it was in anyway heart related. I managed to get appointment for medical check on Friday so took the sensible approach and canned the tempo session. Did wonder was this to be another marathon program in the bin.

Fri 10/02

By lunchtime, test results were back with the good news and there were no cardio related issues. Happy days. Not exactly sure what the pain is, possibly a strain from some of the s&c work. I am good to go though. With this in mind there was no reason not to do yesterday’s tempo session so took myself to the 2m loop in St Annes.

Plan: 6m easy
    Actual: 1.6 WU, 7m @ pmp , 1.9 CD (total 10.5m)

Tough to get the pace going for the first mile but got into a rhythm after a while. Tried to run the rest of this as relaxed as possible which I managed in part. Had to work hard to not think about running 26m at this pace but those evil thoughts kept creeping in on me.

Splits:
    6:49 6:46 6:49 6:48 6:50 6:50 6:47

Sat 11/02

Plan: 10m Easy
    Actual: 10.4m (8:21)

Baltic out there today so was layered up for 7m and followed by an easyish Parkrun. Ran the 7 up and down the beach with FBOT who may as well have been only in a mankini. He just wanted to show off his new tee shirt so layers were not an option:confused:. Don’t know how he didn’t break in half with the cold. Guess he has youth on his side.;)

Took a trip to Donadea later to watch Murph_D , Younganne et al running in the 50k. Very impressive running by all in a great event with lots of support from this parish. Even colder down there so kudos to all the runners.

Sun 12/02

Plan: 10m Moderate pace
    Actual: 10.8m (8:00)

Joined in with the Club long run in the Phoenix Park where there was a good crowd out. This is a step back week for me so only 10m were on the cards. Haven’t been with the ‘Cru’ for a while and met a few new club members (new to me anyway ). Slightly slower pace than prescribed but it was worth it for the social aspect. I made a beeline for the car after 9.5m and left them to carry on.

Week 8 : 47.2 (49)
    Total program : 376.2 (355)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Glad to hear you got the all clear. You're getting very sensible in your old age :)

Advertisement