Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Sunday 8th June
    14.2m; Pace 7:44 (7 @mp ave 7:06)

Went to the P Park for this one. I was a little apprehensive as it was the first fast workout I've done in a long while. Ran sans breakfast as lighter=faster! Right?

Anyway I dragged myself around for the first 6/7 miles and really felt lethargic and wondered would I even be able to break 8m/m. Once the mp miles started though, I focused more and really got into it. The intention was to try to keep the pace 7:10-7:15 but was able to push it a little faster. Gave myself a nice uphill (khyber) to finish at the end, not by design though:mad:.

mp miles
    07:28
    07:11
    07:06
    07:04
    06:58
    06:54
    07:02

Miles this week: 47.9 ( Prog 55)
    Miles this program: 76.4

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That's a solid session Ferris, especially so far from your target.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Ferris B wrote: »
    Sunday 8th June
    14.2m; Pace 7:44 (7 @mp ave 7:06)

Went to the P Park for this one. I was a little apprehensive as it was the first fast workout I've done in a long while. Ran sans breakfast as lighter=faster! Right?

Anyway I dragged myself around for the first 6/7 miles and really felt lethargic and wondered would I even be able to break 8m/m. Once the mp miles started though, I focused more and really got into it. The intention was to try to keep the pace 7:10-7:15 but was able to push it a little faster. Gave myself a nice uphill (khyber) to finish at the end, not by design though:mad:.

mp miles
    07:28
    07:11
    07:06
    07:04
    06:58
    06:54
    07:02

Miles this week: 47.9 ( Prog 55)
    Miles this program: 76.4

Good session after the lay off that you have had. You did better than me... I crashed and burned on mile 13 and jogged back to the car with my tail between my legs trying to do the full 16 mile with 8MP session on Saturday:(

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Good session after the lay off that you have had. You did better than me... I crashed and burned on mile 13 and jogged back to the car with my tail between my legs trying to do the full 16 mile with 8MP session on Saturday:(

Mr Pfitzinger says 'start these runs (long runs with mp miles) comfortably'.

Looks like we both used differing interpretations of 'comfortable'..I started like a lazy so 'n so and ran too slow whereas you were all enthusiastic and gung ho and started too fast. We'll have to find that middle ground soon.:)

Week 3, P&D 18/70
    Monday 9th June

Scheduled rest day from running so went to the gym and did some core exercises. I used the ‘Core Bags’ (kind of sand bags with handles) for th efirst time which was interesting. Did a few exercises with these, including squats which certainly awoke a few lazy muscles in the glutes and hamstrings.

Tuesday 10th June
    Med-Long 9m; 8:07 min/m

The program said 11 miles but as the last 4 weeks total miles have been 0, 9, 28 and 48, it was suggested another jump might be too much so dialed back on the miles. I had a few tight muscles following yesterdays gym work but they loosened up a bit with this run. I joined FBOT01 for my 9m before he continued for more.

Wednesday 11th June
    Med-Long 10m; 7:57 min/m

Two med long runs consecutively. I double checked the program to make sure this wasn’t a mistake. Again I ran less the the prescribed 13m and stopped at 10m. Ran this at lunchtime and headed out via east wall, eastlink bridge and on out to sandymount and back. Lovely warm weather. At one stage I thought there was a race on there was so many runners out and about and none seemed to be running slow.

In hindsight rather than paring back the mileage over the last couple of weeks for each day I could have just dropped a days run altogether and ran everything else per program. Not to worry, it’s done now and sure it’s all miles in the bag. Hopefully by next week or week after I’ll have caught up with the program.

I’m planning on doing a few races between now and Berlin. The only one I’ve entered as yet is the Dunshaughlin 10k on 21st June. My current 10k pb is pathetically poor at 41:36 and I need to address that. I know I’ve run the distance faster as part of training or another distance but of course that doesn’t count. Other than that I’m on the look out for other 10k’s, 10m and halfs. I’m wary though about entering any race too far in advance as I have a bad record of having to drop out having paid over my entry.

• Advertisement

.....I’m planning on doing a few races between now and Berlin. The only one I’ve entered as yet is the Dunshaughlin 10k on 21st June. My current 10k pb is pathetically poor at 41:36 and I need to address that. I know I’ve run the distance faster as part of training or another distance but of course that doesn’t count. Other than that I’m on the look out for other 10k’s, 10m and halfs. I’m wary though about entering any race too far in advance as I have a bad record of having to drop out having paid over my entry.

PMA my good man;)

PMA my good man;)

WTFIPMA?

Thursday 12th June
    5m Recovery; Pace 8:50

Early morning recovery run to the bull wall and back. Lovely morning but the run was tough and legs felt very heavy considering it was a relatively pedestrian pace. Legs still a bit tight after gym session on Monday. After some foam rolling, porridge and shower though the body perked up and I felt great.

Friday 13th June
    LT run. 7 w/3 @hmp; Ave pace 7:17.

I reduced the 9m w/4@hmp to 7m w/3@hmp. I’d forgotten what the pace for the non hmp miles should have been so I aimed for 8m/m as a safe bet. My hm pb pace is 6:38 so the intention was to get somewhere near that. It was an early morning run the legs took a little while to wake up and get going although they felt significantly better compared to yesterday at the same time. Probably ran the 2nd hmp mile a bit quick ( I was chasing down another runner!). It was warm out there and the sweat was pouring out of me.

2wu /HMP miles 6:40, 6:23, 6:27 / 2m cd

Thursday 12th June

Friday 13th June
    LT run. 7 w/3 @hmp; Ave pace 7:17.

I reduced the 9m w/4@hmp to 7m w/3@hmp. I’d forgotten what the pace for the non hmp miles should have been so I aimed for 8m/m as a safe bet. My hm pb pace is 6:38 so the intention was to get somewhere near that. It was an early morning run the legs took a little while to wake up and get going although they felt significantly better compared to yesterday at the same time. Probably ran the 2nd hmp mile a bit quick ( I was chasing down another runner!). It was warm out there and the sweat was pouring out of me.

2wu /HMP miles 6:40, 6:23, 6:27 / 2m cd

Boll*cs....I thought it was 9m gen aerobic today. That's my day ruined:(

Another nice one to get under your belt. Did you catch the other runner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

w/e 8/12/13

When I originally mentioned the 'ultra plan' to my OH, after the initial 'don't be stupid' response and when it sunk in that I was serious, the next comment was ..' well if you're going to do that you need to get yourself checked out. So on friday, I had myself a stress/exercise test. Had to run on a treadmill which increased in elevation and pace every three mins all the while hooked up to a monitor which spat out pages and pages of lovely graphs. Interesting and worthwhile experience and more importantly, I got that all clear although the doc did question my sanity!

Hello! I know I'm resurrecting a quote from ages ago, but would you mind me asking where you had the stress test done? Thanks!

• Advertisement

Hi HelenAnne

I had it done in the Charlemont Clinic. I'll pm you details.

Saturday 15th June
    12.8m trail running; Time 2:08

I was invited by a good ultra runner to run the trails of Howth. He’s heading for the Stone Mad ultra I think he wanted an excuse to run slow as part of a weekend of b2b runs, hence he brought me along. From my own point of view, pace (which averaged 10m/m) was irrelevant on this sort of terrain and it was all about the effort and time on feet. It was all off road other than a bit at the start which was a very pleasant change from all the road running and also I got the benefit of an excellent workout too as there was plenty of up and down with 531m in elevation gain. A few stops along the way to take in the views which were spectacular.

Sunday 16th June
    4m recovery; Pace 8:30ish (Raheny 4m mid summer race)

I’d seen a post up on boards about this 4m race in aid of Childline which also included some kids races. I mentioned it to the older daughter who has never run a race before but who expressed an interest in the 0.5k race. Soon the younger one (also a newby runner) was also keen. I didn’t want to race myself but decided to enter anyway ( the grown ups version) as it was for good cause (Childline) and I could use it as a recovery run and legs were still a bit delicate after yesterdays exploits on the hills. My 4m race (jog) was irrelevant as I just plodded along mid pack at 8.30ish pace. Bumped into Eoinin ( behind camera lense) and Kiely Unusual.

All the action though was in the kids races and it was brilliant to watch, particularly the under 8’s race. One poor lad who was doing really well (4th or 5th) and was within 5 yards of the finishline decided he’d had enough, turned on his heels and promptly and ran off in the opposite direction.:confused:

I’m also happy to report that my own two girls had a super race in the 8-12 group and finished 3rd and 4th :D. They must have got those fast twitch muscles from their mothers side of the family! A bonus was getting their own goody bag as they normally scavenge from mine at other events. Happy with their performance, they splashed out and bought me a cone (unprompted) for father’s day.

A good weeks running for me even though it’s still a bit less than the programmed mileage. I hope to be just about back in line with the program by the end of next week although I do have Dunshaughlin 10k on sat eve so I may have to move things around a bit.

Miles this week: 48

Tuesday 17th June
    9.5m gen aerobic w/11 strides. Ave pace 8:04 (excl strides)

I had a physio session 1st thing this morning (with dry needling in calfs) which was more of a maintenance thing than dealing with any specific injury. My calfs are like piano strings (tightness, not size) and can be problematic. I also got the all clear on the recent rh calf injury which came as no surprise as I’ve been running on it for 3 weeks now. Normally needling can cause a bit of discomfort for a while after treatment but due to time constraints I basically had to get in this session pretty much straight away.

I ran 4m as prelude to the strides all the while thinking how I don’t like strides, it’s very hot, it’s been ages since I have done any blah,blah blah….'Oh, just STFU and get on with them!'

The usual spot for these is the little hill at the corner of st annes by the coast and it measures about 130m. I allowed myself an extra few seconds rest between strides by walking & jogging back to start.(right/wrong?) I used to just jog straight back. They actually went quite well considering and I think were even 1 or 2 seconds faster than what I used to run them at. Due to my inability to count though, combined with the heat of the day, I ran 11 rather than 10!

Split times for strides were 25 26 27 27 26 26 27 27 27 27 25.

A 3m run brought me home where upon the legs tightened up from the needling but that didn't last too long.

Wednesday 18th June
    14m; Pace 8:15

Absolute scorcher this morning, even at 7:45am. Ran out along the Costa Clontarf to Sutton and back in the company of FBOT01, fresh from his 10k PB performance last night. Glorious morning but tough enough mid week run so glad of the chat. Pace started at a gentle 8:30 and finished around 7:50ish.

I’ve my own 10k to look forward to on Saturday in Dunshaughlin. I might drop the programmed 11m on Friday and use Saturday’s race instead as I’ll probably do a couple of warm up miles to add to the 10k mileage.

It’s over a year since my last 10k so it’ll be interesting to see what happens. It will also be my first indicator in this program of potential target times for Berlin. I don’t have a specific time in mind for the 10k, (other than beating a soft pb). I think it’ll be more a case of run like f**k and see what that brings.

Thursday 19th June
    5m Recovery; Pace 8:43

Lunchtime recovery run along the seafront. Legs felt knackered. It was hot although I don't think that's sole reason. Maybe one should be tired after previous 2 days efforts and that's why it's a 'recovery' run.

Bumped into Yaboyaldinho1 (well he was wearing bright yellow) on the seafront showing how it should be done.

Good luck this eve....I hope the weather is a little cooler than it is here in sunny Spain.....fecking melting today. Remember anything sub 38:42 will do;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Best of luck today Ferris.
    Hope it cools down a bit for you by race time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great time.
    Well done! :)

Just back home from Dunshaughlin 10k
    Got myself a PB of 38:56 so happy out. Don't think I could have run much quicker with my current level of fitness. Very warm out there this evening.

Super race , a lot of v strong club runners .Good to meet a few boardsies too.
    Plenty of carb loading post race provided by organisers which was super topped off with a couple of cold beers sitting in the fridge at home....which reminds me I may have half committed to entering the beer mile. Oops.

Well done Ferris, class going sub 39 this early in your program.

If the truth be told I'm a bit pissed off as now both Statler & Waldorf (you and FBOT) are leaving me for dust.

I'll have to up my daily meds dose!

Congrats,

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

which reminds me I may have half committed to entering the beer mile. Oops.
    What do you mean 'half committed'? Are you just going to do the first 800m? :)
    Nice meeting you yesterday and congrats on a damn fine run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

What do you mean 'half committed'?

Means he is on the lash that night, the mile on the other hand is negotiable :p

ecoli wrote: »
    Means he is on the lash that night, the mile on the other hand is negotiable :p

He means he hasn't asked his OH yet :D

He means he hasn't asked his OH yet :D

And are you likely to let him do it FBOT :)

TbL

And are you likely to let him do it FBOT :)

TbL

Let's just see if the grass has been cut and kids looked after while I am off on me hols with the girls....:P

which reminds me I may have half committed to entering the beer mile. Oops.

I did actually mention the idea to my OH who laughed, said I was too old and that I'd throw my guts up.... Right on all counts. Which of course meant I was more than determined to go but unfortunately it appears I'm double booked with a long standing arrangement to meet some friends for dinner. though I could try to persuade them to move the dinner to Kilbogget Gladiatorium and watch the fun unfold.

Friday 20th June
    5.3m Recovery; Pace 8:28

My usual 5m loop via the seafront, watermill rd and howth rd. Legs definitely had more life in them compared to thursday but they still felt heavier than I would have liked like.

Saturday 21st June
    Dunshaughlin 10k (2.5 wu & 0.5 cd)

Not a huge amount of race detail to report as I can’t remember much as I was too busy trying to breathe. The bits I do recall….

I did a Krusty style ( albeit at half the speed) recce of the final 800m as part of a 2.5m warm up including a few strides where I pretended I knew what I was doing.

It looked to me like there was about 1000 at the start with a lot of very serious looking club runners taking part. Bumped into Claralara and Menoscemo near the startline who said they were heading out at 6:15 pace for the first few miles anyway. I think I told Meno I was aiming for 38/39 ish but wasn’t sure what would happen. At the gun I reckon there was about 150 other runners in front of me and then got passed by maybe another 75/100 in the first mile. I latched onto Meno & CL from the gun for just under a mile before I gently pulled away. I was feeling quite comfortable but at the same time was conscious of a hill in the second half. I was determined not to look at the watch too much and try and run more by feel.

By the end of mile 2 the race had started to string out quite a bit and from then on until just before the finish I was just continully passing people without being passed till the about last 200m. As I wasn’t looking at my watch I didn’t actually know whether the other runners were slowing or I was picking it up but it felt good and the right thing to do. I do recall there were some witty signs placed along the way ‘The hills will love you back’ or something and there were several local athletes names sprayed on the roads, Tour de France style, which was a welcome distraction.

The work really started when the hill kicked in, especially when I found there was more than one. I found though I was passing people quite easily on the hills and wondered am I going too fast and will they be laughing at me splayed out in the ditch in another 100m. Again, it just felt like right thing to do. I do recall two runners taking umbridge that some aul fella with a quare gait, was passing them and they also picked it up to draw level with me but on both occasions I won those little battles which was nice.

By mile 5, I was suffering but I reminded myself isn’t that what’s supposed to happen in a 10k. I think this was my hardest mile and a few times I did think I might blow up. I could feel the body was really heating up and I think my central governor was fighting to take control and slow me down due to the heat. While I was still passing folk, mile 6 marker couldn’t come soon enough. and I was on the home straight now. It seemed to take an age though to get to the last 800m I scoped out earlier but it felt good to be on ‘familiar ground’. A few runners I passed in the last 800m passed me back approaching the finish. I had no idea of my time but saw the clock from about 50m away had 3X:4X so pushed it before it changed to the next minute and snuck in under 39:00 at 38:56, 162nd place. I kind of had the feeling I had run faster due to all the runners I passed myself, but I suspect a lot of them had positive splitted and were slowing whereas I did a negative split by 14 seconds (based on guy shouting out times at halfway).

It’s a pb by 2:40 ( previous was over a year ago) which I’m delighted with considering I’ve done damn all interval work in the last 6 months and am only back from 4 weeks off with injury. With a bit more speedwork I suspect I should be able to get that time down another few seconds.

A veritable feast was provided afterwords and I duly stuffed my face. I hung around for some of the prize giving, met a few new boardsie faces before I headed on my way, dreaming of the 2 two bottle of chilled Spaten Brau waiting for me in the fridge at home.

A great race, superb course, very well organised and marshaled and which is presumably why it has survived so long and attracts such a high calibre of club runners.

Sunday 22nd June
    18m Progression run, Pace ave 8:06

I expected the legs to be tired today, so delayed the run till mid morning (rather than pre breakfast) and got some food in first. I knew the East of Ire Marathon Club had a race in howth so decided to head that way and have a look and give them a bit of support. It was quite hot out there but I had a super run. The legs felt fantastic with no ill effects from last nights race. I followed the marathon route up Howth via the St Fintans side and back down through the village. I was even offered water etc at some of the race stations but politely declined and advised them I wasn’t racing. I passed a few of the runners who seemed to be struggling in the heat and gave them a bit of encouragement before I left the marathon route and headed homewards.

I managed to pick up the pace at mile 12 and steadily increased this to near 7:40 over the next 4 miles but slowed a bit in the final couple due to the heat and possibly the fact I was running this bit on grass.

A great run to finish off a very satisfactory weeks mileage. I’ve also just about caught up with the program now.:)

Miles this week: 61
    Miles this programme: 185

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Congrats on the PB , Ferris! Great result, and fair play on the 18 miler the next day! Nice to get that lift early on in the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I'm not sure if I find the Saturday PB or the 18 miler the next day more impressive ! Nice going !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice going, C. Congrats on the PB.

Advertisement