Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Fri 8th Aug
    6.9m Recovery; Pace 8:48

After receiving some advice from wise ole sage I didn’t do the hmp session due for today as I’d essentially already done that session (plus more) in the RnR last Monday. This week so, was mainly about recovery other than the medium long run on thursday and long run on Sunday.

Today was another recovery day. 5 of the miles in the company of FBOT01.

Sat 9th Aug
    5.2m Steady; Pace 7:29

Think I realised that yesterday’s run should have been an ‘easy’ run and today the ‘recovery’. So having run at recovery pace yesterday I upped the pace a bit over my usual 5m loop.

Sun 10th Aug
    Long Run 23m; Pace 7:49

Another Dart station rendezvous with another date from the Boards Dating Service. Yaboya1 turned up looking like he was heading on a North Pole adventure with with anount of gear he had on. We took a route out through Fairview and Drumcondra and then up the canal where we met Murph’s swans. They must be getting well fed cos they’re growing up fast. At Ashtown we headed off into the park for about 10miles. Coming out of the park, Yaboya who was obviously getting fed up trudging along at 8m/m, pushed the pace towards 7:30 for a couple of miles . I think he was pissed that I didn’t buy him a 99 cos the pace then went to 7:15. At that point, my speed limiter kicked in and I sent him on his way and he tore up the canal path. I decided to try to maintain the effort I was expending for the remainder of my run without really looking at the watch. Having averaged 8min (ish) for the 1st 16m, my last 7 miles were 7:32, 7:30, 7:15, 7:23, 7:14, 7:20, 7:13.

Great to run with company. Makes it much easier.Thanks P. When I got home I made a bucket of pancake batter to feed the troops, but ate most of them myself. Nice.:)

Total miles this week: 81
    Miles this progam: 622

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Those pancakes were well earned. 81 mile week? There was me chuffed with my 70 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great route - one of my favourites. Glad the swans are behaving themselves. Actually I was going to take this route myself today but changed my mind and headed South instead.

(Not very nice of your date to leave you to get home by yourself though! ) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Murph_D wrote: »
    Great route - one of my favourites. Glad the swans are behaving themselves. Actually I was going to take this route myself today but changed my mind and headed South instead.

(Not very nice of your date to leave you to get home by yourself though! ) :pac:

The youth of today, Murph:D

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Those pancakes were well earned. 81 mile week? There was me chuffed with my 70 :eek:

Doesn't really paint the full picture as last weeks mileage was only 35 as I tapering for the half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Lots of great work going on here C:) That was a super run last week in the Half, delighted for you.
    My neighbour mentioned she saw 2 sweaty runners relishing thier 99s at Teddys last week, any idea who that could have been?;);)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Lots of great work going on here C:) That was a super run last week in the Half, delighted for you.
    My neighbour mentioned she saw 2 sweaty runners relishing thier 99s at Teddys last week, any idea who that could have been?;);)

That's encouraging that she thought we were runners and not just two auld codgers out for a stroll.

Ferris B wrote: »
    That's encouraging that she thought we were runners and not just two auld codgers out for a stroll.

Truth be told she probably just got distracted by the sweaty runners and didn't notice you 2 auld codgers out for a stroll:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Marthastew wrote: »

+1
    thats a great time - very well done - hard work is really paying off.

Tues 12th Aug

VO2 Max 8.5m w/5x600

After a much needed rest day yesterday I headed out for this run at lunchtime today. As I've mentioned before I don't like these sessions and was trying to figure out today why this might be. My conclusion is that my crap running gait completely goes to sh!t at the higher speeds and puts additional stresses where there shouldn't be stresses. It just feels so wrong. Think of a helicopter losing a blade at full speed. Well that's me. Despite my best efforts at running on light feet my right foot continuously slapped the ground with every stride. I'd say the drivers along the seafront had a good laugh. I certainly scared a few pedestrians.:eek:

Ironically the times were ok but possibly a bit too quick. I wasn't really looking at the pace while running but just giving each 600 a good lash. As mentioned by Yaboya in his post for the same session, I think I'll dial back the pace a bit for the next one of these runs, particularly as my left calf tightened up a lot on the cool down which is not what I need right now. I have a poor history when it comes to intervals and injuries.

Splits for the session (70 sec RI):

2.8m wu
    2:10 (5:52)
    2:04 (5:38)
    2:02 (5:33)
    2:01 (5:27)
    3.2 m cd

• Advertisement

Splits for the session (70 sec RI):

2.8m wu
    2:10 (5:52)
    2:04 (5:38)
    2:01 (5:27)
    3.2 m cd

Very nice.
    You're going to struggle convincing anyone that you're not aiming for a sub 3 with a session like that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I've the monopoly on crap running form around here, find another problem :)

Nice session.

TbL

Very nice.
    You're going to struggle convincing anyone that you're not aiming for a sub 3 with a session like that ;)

He is not trying to convince anyone he is just superstitious and thinks if he doesn't say it out loud he can't jink it:D

PS nice session

Wed 13th Aug

Med- Long 14m; Pace 7:30

I'd been icing and applying heat packs to left calf after yesterdays interval session and really actually contemplated resting today. I compromised slightly and instead of running early I gave calf a few extra hours rest and went out lunchtime. It's a funny old sport. I started out with a genuinely tight left calf, developed a couple of nasty niggles in right knee but ran one of my fastest mid week long runs and felt comfortable doing it (other than some pain in knee). Go figure. Actually the knee pain was sharp and short lived causing me to stop twice to massage it but co-incidentally, it happened outside the Sports Surgery Clinic in Santry!:rolleyes:

Not quite by design, but I ended up doing a FBOT special (progression run). Times were helped by the fact the 2nd half was basically downhill.

mile 1-4 pace 8:03
    mile 5-9 pace 7:28
    mile 10-14 pace 7:03

Looking at your garmin data it is more a Yaboya special than anything I might do....has shades of AMK's pre Manchester midweek MP sessions;)

Thurs 14/08/2014
    6m @ 08:36 avg pace (Recovery w/6x100m)
    4m @ 08:27 avg pace (Recovery)

Double recovery day today. Nothing major to report. Just let the body run at it own pace other than the strides. Ran them on St Anne's main avenue again using the benches as distance markers. Have given up timing strides but instead just focusing on good form and getting the legs turning over quickly. Really didn't enjoy them and just about managed 6.

I love plagiarism:D

Thurs 14/08/2014
    6m @ 08:36 avg pace (Recovery w/6x100m)
    4m @ 08:27 avg pace (Recovery)

Double recovery day today. Nothing major to report. Just let the body run at it own pace other than the strides. Ran them on St Anne's main avenue again using the benches as distance markers. Have given up timing strides but instead just focusing on good form and getting the legs turning over quickly. Really didn't enjoy them and just about managed 6.

I love plagiarism:D

I thought some of that sounded very familiar. Was getting deja vu until you mentioned you didn't enjoy the strides :)

I thought some of that sounded very familiar. Was getting deja vu until you mentioned you didn't enjoy the strides :)

I was wondering what he was doing talking about good form:P

Fri 15th Aug

Recovery 5.5m; Pace 8:38

After a physio session with dry needling on my calf I got 5m in at recovery pace. Calf still tight but feeling better.

Sat 16th Aug

St Anne's Park Run inc 3.2wu & 3.4cd

I decided fri eve that if the calf was ok in the morning I'd give the parkrun a lash. No issues during the warm up other than feeling a little bloated after last nights pizza and drinks. We had little celebration for my mother's 80th. Happy Birthday Mam.:) I had a vague plan of heading off at 6min pace and seeing if I could hang on. Problem was, no one else seemed to be running at this speed. About 15 speedies fecked off in front of me at the start and so I had to contend with the headwind on my own for much of the first mile. Christeb of this parish dropped back though which was good as he's 7'16" and perfect for drafting off although we ran the the tailwind section side by side back down the ave towards end of lap 1. Got a split of 9'15" (slightly before half way). That'll do. Christeb had obviously pushed too hard early on and start to fall back even more despite my encouragement as I wanted company coming back into the wind. However I still managed to pull back 3 or 4 more places during the second lap as some of the more over ambitious young fellas fell off the pace. Had enough energy for a little kick over the last 200m and crossed the line (fairly fooked) in 18:34, a PB by 22secs. After a rest and a bit of chat with the crew I ran home the long way for a 3.5 cool down.

Mile splits for park run were 6:01, 6:05, 5:55 + 5:03(0.1m)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Fri 15th Aug

Recovery 5.5m; Pace 8:38

After a physio session with dry needling on my calf I got 5m in at recovery pace. Calf still tight but feeling better.

Sat 16th Aug

St Anne's Park Run inc 3.2wu & 3.4cd

I decided fri eve that if the calf was ok in the morning I'd give the parkrun a lash. No issues during the warm up other than feeling a little bloated after last nights pizza and drinks. We had little celebration for my mother's 80th. Happy Birthday Mam.:) I had a vague plan of heading off at 6min pace and seeing if I could hang on. Problem was, no one else seemed to be running at this speed. About 15 speedies fecked off in front of me at the start and so I had to contend with the headwind on my own for much of the first mile. Christeb of this parish dropped back though which was good as he's 7'16" and perfect for drafting off although we ran the the tailwind section side by side back down the ave towards end of lap 1. Got a split of 9'15" (slightly before half way). That'll do. Christeb had obviously pushed too hard early on and start to fall back even more despite my encouragement as I wanted company coming back into the wind. However I still managed to pull back 3 or 4 more places during the second lap as some of the more over ambitious young fellas fell off the pace. Had enough energy for a little kick over the last 200m and crossed the line (fairly fooked) in 18:34, a PB by 22secs. After a rest and a bit of chat with the crew I ran home the long way for a 3.5 cool down.

Mile splits for park run were 6:01, 6:05, 5:55 + 5:03(0.1m)

That's great running Waldorf.

Ye Berlin boys are flying at the moment.

Well done.

Didn't realise that your mother had you when she was twelve though :)

TbL

• Advertisement

Good stuff Ferris. I'd have joined you over there this morning if St Anne's was on the Southside :)

Sun 17th Aug

18m; Pace 7:56

I was joined by Killerz for the last 14miles of this run which was great as my body was very tired and the company and chat certainly distracted from the tiredness. There was absolutely no zip in the legs though and certainly no picking up the pace towards the end. Glad to get it done. Went for a 2 hr sleep when I got in the door.

Tues 19th Aug

VO2max 10m w/6x1000m, 120sRI

The 600s I did last week left me with a tight calf. Heading out for this session there was still a niggle in the calf which was a concern. However rather than just running as fast as I could ( like last week) I went by the book and set the pace at my 5k pace which was determined on last sat at 5:58. These intervals felt much easier than the 600s where I ran ~20s faster. I was a lot more in control of my form and and was certainly less out of breath all of which was good. They were still damn tough, just slightly less so. Splits were sandwiched between a 2.6m wu and 2.7cd.

Split Time Avg Pace

1 03:44.3 06:02

2 03:41.2 05:57

3 03:39.3 05:54

4 03:40.3 05:55

5 03:39.2 05:53

6 03:40.3 05:55

Good stuff.
    Like myself, you're probably still feeling the effects of both runs at the weekend so great to hit the target splits and keep them so consistent. All looking good for the Berlin loggers atm :)

Wed 20th Aug
    15m; Pace 7:40

Early morning pre-breakfast run took me on a loop of dns.

Thurs 21st Aug

Morning run
    5.5m; Pace 8:57

The satellites were obviously as tired as my legs were as the GPS didn’t kick in at all. Had to work hard not to stop for a rest.

Evening run
    5.2m; Pace 8:40

Satellites were back on and the legs felt a smidgen better for the second recovery run of the day.

Fri 22nd Aug
    12m; Pace 7:45

I took a leaf out of yaboya’s book and borrowed his pencil for this one for a bit of fun. It’s pretty clear that art was never my strong suit but maybe you can see what was on my mind. Had a bit of craic doing it which made the run interesting.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/571158325

Can't see it Ferris.
    Think you need to adjust your privacy settings?

Jeez I can barely manage a phonograph. Got the grandkids to check the settings. Hopefully it's sorted.

Still not able to see your artwork, Ferris. You've probably set "Who can see your new activities" to "Everyone" but you also have to change the privacy settings for previous activities. You do this by going in to the Activities Page (the one that lists your most recent 20 activities or so) and hitting the Quick Edit link at the top left and then clicking on the lock icon beside the relevant activity.

Ah - very nice work - Looking good for it too!

Very good :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Nice. One track mind!

Advertisement