Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Sat 23rd Aug

5m ish; Pace 9:00 ish

Garmin crashed at the start of this recovery run. In fact everything electronic I've touched in the last few days has crashed.:mad: Had the company of younger daughter on her bike for 5 ish easy miles.

Sun 24th Aug

18m w/14@hmp

This workout had been on my mind for a while and it's safe to say I was concerned as to how it would go. Target pace was to be 6:50 which equates to sub 3. In the Berlin thread, I had mentioned (in my defence) that I would not post my target time till near end August. Well, this is then. Hit that pace and a sub 3 attempt is on. If I couldn't hit the numbers, then the target would be adjusted to something slightly less optimistic.

With just a coffee in me for breakfast, I headed to the phoenix park for the session with the thoughts of using the south side of the park. However when I got there, hordes of tri fairies had taken over that section so I only got to do my warm up miles on the hills before heading to run loops of the north rd and chesterfield.

Like in my previous mp runs I tried to use mind games to help me along and I divided the mp miles into 3 sections (5m/5m/4m) which felt less intimidating. The long drag up North Rd on each of 3 loops was tough and I had to work hard at holding the ‘form’ ;) and maintaining the pace. My ‘reward’ was a nice downhill back down chesterfield where the tri fairies on their tri cycles provided some distraction. I stopped twice after loops 1&2 for a few seconds for a sip of sports drink that I’d left by the car. The last mile was downhill and despite being pretty fecked I was able to pick up the pace a touch to complete a tough but very satisfying session.

Splits were:

WU
    07:51
    07:59
    08:04
    07:56

MP Miles
    06:44
    06:43
    06:36
    06:42
    06:46
    06:47
    06:50
    06:49
    06:45
    06:36 (av 6:44)

Total this week: 71m
    Total this program: 758m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Ferris B wrote: »
    Sat 23rd Aug

Garmin crashed at the start of this recovery run. In fact everything electronic I've touched in the last few days has crashed.:mad: Had the company of younger daughter on her bike for 5 ish easy miles.

Sun 24th Aug

18m w/14@hmp

This workout had been on my mind for a while and it's safe to say I was concerned as to how it would go. Target pace was to be 6:50 which equates to sub 3. In the Berlin thread, I had mentioned (in my defence) that I would not post my target time till near end August. Well, this is then. Hit that pace and a sub 3 attempt is on. If I couldn't hit the numbers, then the target would be adjusted to something slightly less optimistic.

With just a coffee in me for breakfast, I headed to the phoenix park for the session with the thoughts of using the south side of the park. However when I got there, hordes of tri fairies had taken over that section so I only got to do my warm up miles on the hills before heading to run loops of the north rd and chesterfield.

Like in my previous mp runs I tried to use mind games to help me along and I divided the mp miles into 3 sections (5m/5m/4m) which felt less intimidating. The long drag up North Rd on each of 3 loops was tough and I had to work hard at holding the ‘form’ ;) and maintaining the pace. My ‘reward’ was a nice downhill back down chesterfield where the tri fairies on their tri cycles provided some distraction. I stopped twice after loops 1&2 for a few seconds for a sip of sports drink that I’d left by the car. The last mile was downhill and despite being pretty fecked I was able to pick up the pace a touch to complete a tough but very satisfying session.

Splits were:

WU

MP Miles

Nice session. Never doubted you and glad to see you are now planning to jump on the sub 3hr bus;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

No doubt about it, you were always in good shape for the sub 3 (OAP) bus.

Well done.

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Well you nailed that session so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Sat 23rd Aug

Sun 24th Aug

18m w/14@hmp

Splits were:

WU

MP Miles

Nailed it!!
    Apart from today's race, that is the session I've been placing the most importance on. Pressure is on me now after that.
    Well done ;)

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Nailed it!!
    Apart from today's race, that is the session I've been placing the most importance on. Pressure is on me now after that.
    Well done ;)

You'd do that pace in your sleep.

Tues 26th Aug
    VO2 Max 9.2m w/5x600, 70sec RI

I headed out the coast rd towards Sutton to do this session by the cycle track as normal but the headwind was such that I knew I'd be all over the place so diverted up to the main ave in St Annes where there would be a bit of shelter. I think Sunday's MP run was still in the legs as this felt tougher than the 6x1000 ran at the same pace last week. While I hit the figures, pace was fluctuating throughout each 600 and form was all over the place. Not sure the mind was on the job in hand.

In between a 3.5m wu and 3.2m cd my splits were:

Time Pace
    2:10 5:52
    2:06 5:43
    2:07 5:45

Wed 27th Aug
    Med - Long 14m; Pace 7:49

Another early morning run before breakfast. Despite a good nights sleep, by mile 2, I felt really shattered and had to fight those inner demons telling me 'I could just stop here and sure no one would know!'. I added a bit of variety into the route to distract me from my issues and reminded myself of the end goal. I think the legs are just tired after 13 weeks of 60+ miles a week. My lethargy improved a bit after a while and I managed to increase the pace from 7:5X to 7:4X to 7:3X throughout the run.

I've two handy recovery days coming up next which will hopefully sort me out. Also, I think it's time to book another leg rub.

Solid stuff Ferris.
    I have that VO2 Max session this evening. Not going to worry about hitting the same splits from my previous identical session as the legs are feeling the effects of the last week or so. Anywhere in or around 5k pace and I'll be happy.
    You doing a race this Saturday?

No race planned P. I was thinking of doing a 9/10m tempo type run with maybe 6 or 7 at pmp.

Tues 26th Aug
    VO2 Max 9.2m w/5x600, 70sec RI

I headed out the coast rd towards Sutton to do this session by the cycle track as normal but the headwind was such that I knew I'd be all over the place so diverted up to the main ave in St Annes where there would be a bit of shelter. I think Sunday's MP run was still in the legs as this felt tougher than the 6x1000 ran at the same pace last week. While I hit the figures, pace was fluctuating throughout each 600 and form was all over the place. Not sure the mind was on the job in hand.

In between a 3.5m wu and 3.2m cd my splits were:

Time Pace
    2:06 5:43
    2:07 5:45

Wed 27th Aug
    Med - Long 14m; Pace 7:49

Another early morning run before breakfast. Despite a good nights sleep, by mile 2, I felt really shattered and had to fight those inner demons telling me 'I could just stop here and sure no one would know!'. I added a bit of variety into the route to distract me from my issues and reminded myself of the end goal. I think the legs are just tired after 13 weeks of 60+ miles a week. My lethargy improved a bit after a while and I managed to increase the pace from 7:5X to 7:4X to 7:3X throughout the run.

I've two handy recovery days coming up next which will hopefully sort me out. Also, I think it's time to book another leg rub.

I think I might cut and paste this for my log of Mon and Tues (other than the part about wimping off into the park of course;))...I felt absolutely fooked last night before and after the 14miler.

• Advertisement

FBOT01 wrote: »
    I think I might cut and paste this for my log of Mon and Tues (other than the part about wimping off into the park of course;))...I felt absolutely fooked last night before and after the 14miler.

I still have both of those workouts ahead of me tonight and tomorrow. Thanks for whetting my appetite :rolleyes:

Nice session there Ferris, you must feel a lot lighter having gotten that sandbag off your chest :)

You're going well.

TbL

Nice session there Ferris, you must feel a lot lighter having gotten that sandbag off your chest :)

You're going well.

TbL

Glasshouses + stones comes to mind.:)

Thurs 28th Aug
    6.6m recovery w/6 strides; Pace 8:15

Didn't feel quite as tired today and managed the required 6 strides at a reasonably sprightly pace..for me.

Headed to the 'coach to the stars' in the afternoon for a leg rub and definitely felt the better for it.

Fri 29th Aug
    Recovery 5.3m; Pace 8:41

Went out late in the evening for this run. Had thought about ditching the run due to time constraints but glad I did it in the end.

Sat 30th Aug
    12.3.m w/8@mp

The program had today as a tune up race but I decided to do some mp miles instead. Got an invite from FBOT to join him in his own 15m mp session which suited me perfectly. After a couple of warm up miles on my own we got the old team back together for the fast stuff. Although a good effort being out in it was actually quite relaxed for a pacey run with plenty of chat. I bailed out after 8 mp miles and headed for home leaving FBOT to complete an excellent workout.

Splits after 2.5 wu:

06:48
    06:41
    06:35
    06:41
    06:40

Finished with 1.5 cd.

Sun 31 Aug
    Long Run 17.2 m; Pace 7:26

Had planned a run to howth but then wondered would the hills be of any benefit to me 4 weeks out from a very flat Berlin. Also being a bit injury prone, I decided to stay on the flat and went Southside instead which took me out along the coast as far as Dun Laoghaire. The sun was beaming and everyone seemed to be out walking /running/ swimming which added to the very pleasant atmosphere. The plan was some sort of a progression run I but didn't have any fixed paces but just upped the effort a bit every now and again. It turned out to be quite a warm morning and with the additional sweat pouring out of me I developed a nipple issue which necessitated either removing my top or suffering the pain of bloody nipples for the last few miles. I went for the former option. This is all very well when you're abroad on holidays but at home it's a different matter.:o Hoping I'd meet no-one I knew, I kept my head down and ploughed on. It certainly helped speed up the last few miles.

Mile Splits:
    07:48
    07:53
    07:49
    07:49
    07:44
    07:48
    07:31
    07:31
    07:33
    07:25
    07:15
    07:20
    07:17
    07:09
    07:00
    06:59
    06:48

Total miles this week: 64
    Total miles this program: 823

Very solid looking few days there Ferris.
    Encouraging that you were picking up the pace towards the end of the long run, especially the day after a reasonably tough MP session.
    4 weeks.....:)

Yea the Two & Half Men Berlin crew are in great shape.

Excellent sessions all round, keep yourselves healthy and 3 sub 3's are a shoe in.

TbL

I don't know about sub 3 but you take your top off in Berlin I am certainly not running anywhere near you:D

Nice run today with a very tidy finish.

Giving the people of south Dublin what they want.... Ferris in all his beauty. Kind of glad I wasn't with you for the long run then so.

Killerz wrote: »
    Giving the people of south Dublin what they want.... Ferris in all his beauty. Kind of glad I wasn't with you for the long run then so.

Good call, J!

Tues 2nd Sept
    6m; Pace 8:46

The good news...
    Nice gentle recovery run which didn't feel like the normal slog on previous recovery runs. Met Murph's better half (think it was her) along the seafront, also out for early morning run.

The bad news...
    Ironically having felt great on this morning's run, I got the results back from a medical check I had last week on the ticker which apparently has shown up something that needs another look. As a result I have been told no running till another check this Friday. Initially I was mightily pi$$ed off with this daft stupid instruction not to run, with me on an intensive P&D program for sub 3 attempt in Berlin and was tempted to defy the doc's orders but on mature reflection I'm still pi$$ed off a few days off is the prudent thing to do....well fcuk, damn and blast it anyway.:mad: Reading between the lines though, it's just a precautionary thing and I should be good to go by the weekend.

The upside of course is I can't do the 5 x 1200 session due tomorrow.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Tues 2nd Sept
    6m; Pace 8:46

The good news...
    Nice gentle recovery run which didn't feel like the normal slog on previous recovery runs. Met Murph's better half (think it was her) along the seafront, also out for early morning run.

The bad news...
    Ironically having felt great on this morning's run, I got the results back from a medical check I had last week on the ticker which apparently has shown up something that needs another look. As a result I have been told no running till another check this Friday. Initially I was mightily pi$$ed off with this daft stupid instruction not to run, with me on an intensive P&D program for sub 3 attempt in Berlin and was tempted to defy the doc's orders but on mature reflection I'm still pi$$ed off a few days off is the prudent thing to do....well fcuk, damn and blast it anyway.:mad: Reading between the lines though, it's just a precautionary thing and I should be good to go by the weekend.

Very best of luck with the test this Friday, I'm sure it will bring positive news and we'll be celebrating your PB AND good health in The Oscar Wilde in Berlin

I'm so jealous.......

Seriously though, hope all is well.

Its probably just the shadow left behind from a long term but recently removed sandbag :)

Sure its nothing but better safe than sorry.

just thinking, maybe the doctors wife saw you running topless the other day, and was so traumatised that her husband had to come up with something like that to keep you off the road!

TbL

Fri 5th Sept

I'm not sure how to even start this post as there's a lot going on in my head but to get straight to the point, I won't be running Berlin and there's also a question mark over DCM and future marathons.

That's the bad news. The good news is that today, a blockage in one of my arteries was discovered and then successfully repaired before anything nasty happened. If this hadn't been found and fixed and I ran Berlin there's a chance I mightn't have made it to the Oscar Wilde. As the doc said to me 'you're lucky we got this early'

I went in to the hospital today for an angiogram expecting to be sent home after a couple of hours with the all clear to resume running again after a few days off. This didn't quite go to plan. As soon as I heard the word 'stent' mentioned I knew things were a bit more serious. The good doc was fully aware of my plans for Berlin ( mind you, I didn't mention sub 3 attempt!!!) and broke it gently to me over a few chats that Berlin was out of the picture and I would also have to review possible future marathons. The message was reinforced when he told me that he had attended the poor guy who collapsed and died in the dublin half in the park last year.

As I sit here this evening in my hospital room ( first overnight ever) one part of me wants to scream and curse and rant out loud about my running plans being completely fcuked up. My other self then reminds me of what might have happened if my issue hadn't been picked up and how very fortunate I actually am. I am constantly reminded of the post that Marthastew put up advising of Mr S's collapse which at the time scared the sh!t out of me and I realised today that potentially could have been me.

Well enough of the scary stuff. I'm a fairly pragmatic person and I'm not going to dwell on it too long. It is what it is and I'm just going to get on with things. I'm currently fit and healthy. I've to take it easy for a week and then at that stage review what sort of running I can do.

To finish my ramblings.... Having been given the lecture by the good doc about good diet ( it's actually not bad), the chat about cholesterol and been handed detailed charts and brochures about do's and don't's re food I was then presented with my dinner.....battered fish and chips!!! WTF.

I'll be back.

C.

Fri 5th Sept

I'm not sure how to even start this post as there's a lot going on in my head but to get straight to the point, I won't be running Berlin and there's also a question mark over DCM and future marathons.

That's the bad news. The good news is that today, a blockage in one of my arteries was discovered and then successfully repaired before anything nasty happened. If this hadn't been found and fixed and I ran Berlin there's a chance I mightn't have made it to the Oscar Wilde. As the doc said to me 'you're lucky we got this early'

I went in to the hospital today for an angiogram expecting to be sent home after a couple of hours with the all clear to resume running again after a few days off. This didn't quite go to plan. As soon as I heard the word 'stent' mentioned I knew things were a bit more serious. The good doc was fully aware of my plans for Berlin ( mind you, I didn't mention sub 3 attempt!!!) and broke it gently to me over a few chats that Berlin was out of the picture and I would also have to review possible future marathons. The message was reinforced when he told me that he had attended the poor guy who collapsed and died in the dublin half in the park last year.

As I sit here this evening in my hospital room ( first overnight ever) one part of me wants to scream and curse and rant out loud about my running plans being completely fcuked up. My other self then reminds me of what might have happened if my issue hadn't been picked up and how very fortunate I actually am. I am constantly reminded of the post that Marthastew put up advising of Mr S's collapse which at the time scared the sh!t out of me and I realised today that potentially could have been me.

Well enough of the scary stuff. I'm a fairly pragmatic person and I'm not going to dwell on it too long. It is what it is and I'm just going to get on with things. I'm currently fit and healthy. I've to take it easy for a week and then at that stage review what sort of running I can do.

To finish my ramblings.... Having been given the lecture by the good doc about good diet ( it's actually not bad), the chat about cholesterol and been handed detailed charts and brochures about do's and don't's re food I was then presented with my dinner.....battered fish and chips!!! WTF.

I'll be back.

C.

Jesus C,

Don't know what to say really.

Best of luck and hopefully you'll be able to get back into it.

Might give you some time to practice your golf and at least take Yaboya out at that.

Best of luck.

TbL

I don't really know what to say either.
    Obviously great that you're ok and that they detected something before it became any more serious. It certainly puts the running in perspective. At the same time though, I'm absolutely devastated for you :(. Your training had been excellent and it seems such rotten luck.
    Are you still going to travel to Berlin? Will you be allowed drink a beer if I buy you one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I'm sure you're still in complete shock C, I quite honestly thought you would be sent home with a clean bill of health today. I'm sure it's a very big shock for all your family also and although, as you pointed out, it is good news that they discovered the blockage you are also allowed to be disappointed and angry.
    Berlin, DCM, running... They'll always be there. In the meantime rest well and be thankful for the miracle of modern medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'm in shock, can't believe that but at the same stage great that you discovered it now.

At the same stage it is sad and slightly unnerving that the hospital offers you fish and chips after giving you a a lecture about cholesterol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Wow. Just wow.

Speechless really.

• Advertisement

Just heard about this this morning Ferris. Sorry to hear you are out of Berlin but AMK often rambles about 'keeping the main thing the main thing' or something like that and in that regard, big picture and all that, it is good news that this has been discovered now.

I met FBOT and Yaboya this morning and it looked like a weight had been lifted off them as they realise they wouldn't have to face off against you in Berlin ;)

Be well and catch you soon.
    Jk

Advertisement