Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you rejig the education system of Ireland?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

yoho139 wrote: »
    So stop calling it Religion and call it ethics and morality or something?

Ethics sounds good.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I would welcome an ethics class replacing religion in schools.

Right now, what's being taught/discussed in religion class entirely depends on the teacher. I've had teachers who made me look forward to religion class and teachers who completely rejected any faith other than Christianity and didn't recognise atheists or agnostics - Once you were in their class, you were there to learn about Jesus.

That has to change. I don't mind if it's completely abolished or replaced with an ethics class. Personally I think moral principles are something you develop yourself rather than something that can be taught but it's worth a try I guess.
    I would actually be in favour of allowing students sitting higher papers in the core subjects (Maths / English / Irish) sit the OL papers about half way through 6th year.

That's a really good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I would welcome an ethics class replacing religion in schools.

Right now, what's being taught/discussed in religion class entirely depends on the teacher. I've had teachers who made me look forward to religion class and teachers who completely rejected any faith other than Christianity and didn't recognise atheists or agnostics - Once you were in their class, you were there to learn about Jesus.

That has to change. I don't mind if it's completely abolished or replaced with an ethics class. Personally I think moral principles are something you develop yourself rather than something that can be taught but it's worth a try I guess

on THE SUBJECT OF religion-THE COURSE IS A Disgrace-RATHER THAN ETHICS CAUSE ETHICS REFERS AN APPROPRIATE WAY TO ACT-NOT A higher BEING-(sorry just noticed the cap locks) widen it ore out and learn about other religions and customs-which is a small part of the course, but its very small the subject f Jesus childhood is much bigger than that of for eg. Islam. make it less Christian orientated-my Muslim friend was completely lost in religion class cause it all referred to Catholicism basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    That's actually a good idea.
    I love the "actually" / note of surprise! :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I love the "actually" / note of surprise! :pac:

Disregard it, it wasn't a note of surprise :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement