Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games you dislike that everyone else loves

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

We had such threads a few times and they never end well... People start jumping each other throats, just because they don't like the franchise etc...

Inserts any Mario game here - Overhyped and simplified game for masses. Got forbid Mario actually having some sort of Characteristics, he is bland and lifeless thing.

I don't mean to sound like the kind of person described at the start of your post but...

Mario! you don't like Mario games? The controls, mechanics and gameplay are beyond compare, Mario Galaxy was recently named game of the generation by one or two of the magazines.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,082 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Valentine1 wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound like the kind of person described at the start of your post but...

Mario! you don't like Mario games? The controls, mechanics and gameplay are beyond compare, Mario Galaxy was recently named game of the generation by one or two of the magazines.

Couldn't get into Mario myself. It's completely beyond me what the appeal is. My housemate just bought a Wii-U for the sole purpose of Mario and Zelda, another franchise I've no interest whatsoever in.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Couldn't get into Mario myself. It's completely beyond me what the appeal is. My housemate just bought a Wii-U for the sole purpose of Mario and Zelda, another franchise I've no interest whatsoever in.

They are both the bringers of utter utter joy in game form.* I'll be getting a Wii U before any PS4 or Xbone

*subject to some specific exceptions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sonic. All sonic. I cannot understand how this series became so popular ouside of all Sega fans jumping on the games simpley because they had their mascot now.

To be honest, there is no comparison between Mario and Sonic. None. Mario is about creativity, smiles and surprises. Sonic is about going really fast and jumping sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

COD: Seriously dont know how anyone enjoys these games, boring beyond all means, with possibly the worst fans in gaming.

Infamous: I got this for the time Playstation fecked up and only played it recently, how did this get such good reviews its awful, the sort of game I can understand kids would enjoy.

Metal Gear Solid Series: If I wanted to watch a movie, Id watch a movie

GTA Series: I never in my life realised how much people wanted to kill a hooker till I played this game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Valentine1 wrote: »
    They are both the bringers of utter utter joy in game form.* I'll be getting a Wii U before any PS4 or Xbone

*subject to some specific exceptions.

Agree, Mario for me is gaming at it's most base level: fun, colourful, a joy to play. There's plenty of mediocre spinoffs but the core games, Mario 1-World, M64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1&2 etc are all phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Mario games...I just don't get it. Actually, now that i think about it, I don't like any of Nintendos first party games, which is odd since i loved the Super Nintendo, N64 and Wii machines

Realistic racing games (Forza, I'm looking at you!) Having realistic car physics when the player is incapable of feeling and inertia/weight shift etc is annoying. (and it's not just because i suck at it! I'm bad at other car racers too and still enjoy them :D )

Call of Duty: This is recent enough as i played my very first COD yesterday. It was called "Finest Hour" for the XB. The whole bloody thing was so scripted...first two minutes where i couldn't move my character, then it was on rails for a little bit where they gave everyone except me a rifle (it's okay though, they gave me a handful of bullets so...idk, i can throw them at the germans Hot-shots part Deux style?) I finally got control of my guy and tried to pick up one of the many guns strewn about the place but wasn't allowed. Then i had to follow some officer all over the place before FINALLY being allowed to have a f*&^ing gun! P!$$ off!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,046 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It is funny how some people do not like some game series as they are the same but love game franchise like COD and Battlefield. Not saying they are not ok games but they are the same for every game. Its different strokes for different folkes I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

It is funny how some people do not like some game series as they are the same but love game franchise like COD and Battlefield. Not saying they are not ok games but they are the same for every game. Its different strokes for different folkes I suppose
    I can see your point, but I think there is an important novelty factor to consider. I'm going to stick with a franchise if it can maintain the novelty of it. I love The Elder Scrolls and Fallout, for instance, but to some people they just don't enjoy having this vast world to explore. I love being able to do whatever, but for other people they just don't want that.. Or not more than once. I haven't played BLOPS 2, but I did enjoy the campaigns in 4, MW2, MW3 and BLOPS to varying degrees. They aren't sophisticated or intelligent, but I do find fun to be had there.

As an example of a game that the novelty factor wasn't there for me on trying the demo... Minecraft. I tried it for a bit to see how it was. I'm thinking it is a game you have to put a lot of time in to to like it. Sort of a play it till you like it. It might be great once you've spent some time on it, but couldn't bring myself to spend that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Fucking hated Burnout Paradise, for that stupid fecking open world

• Advertisement

Mario games...I just don't get it. Actually, now that i think about it, I don't like any of Nintendos first party games, which is odd since i loved the Super Nintendo, N64 and Wii machines

Realistic racing games (Forza, I'm looking at you!) Having realistic car physics when the player is incapable of feeling and inertia/weight shift etc is annoying. (and it's not just because i suck at it! I'm bad at other car racers too and still enjoy them :D )

Call of Duty: This is recent enough as i played my very first COD yesterday. It was called "Finest Hour" for the XB. The whole bloody thing was so scripted...first two minutes where i couldn't move my character, then it was on rails for a little bit where they gave everyone except me a rifle (it's okay though, they gave me a handful of bullets so...idk, i can throw them at the germans Hot-shots part Deux style?) I finally got control of my guy and tried to pick up one of the many guns strewn about the place but wasn't allowed. Then i had to follow some officer all over the place before FINALLY being allowed to have a f*&^ing gun! P!$$ off!

Which is historically correct, that level is set in Stalingrad, that's what actually happened, one soldier was given a gun, the other an ammo clip, and if any tried to retreat they'd be shot by their own commanders. the WW2 set COD games have great little details like that. If you're going to play any of the COD games then 4 is probably the best one.

I agree about realistic driving games, Gran Turismo etc, much prefer Burnout, I think Burnout 3 is the best racing game ever made in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,170 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I don't like racing sims either. Prefer the fun games like Mario Kart or Burnout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I think most people giving out about COD are doing so due to the most recent iterations.

Has anyone disliked COD from the start.....i.e. COD1 and COD2 and you never played it after, or was it because you tried Modern Warfare 2 and are sick of the adverts and hype around the game these days.

I dislike the 4 versions of COD myself
    BUT....COD 1, 2 and COD 4 stand amongst some of the Best FPS' I've ever played (especially the multiplayer of COD2 + 4 )

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I dislike the recent COD's, but the 1st and 2nd were fantastic. Modern Warfare was also excellent, but that's the last one that i really enjoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Dynamo Roller

Kiith wrote: »
    I dislike the recent COD's, but the 1st and 2nd were fantastic. Modern Warfare was also excellent, but that's the last one that i really enjoyed.

ya modern warfare was the peak of online fps cos of the lack of silly buffs and great modding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

L.A Noire: Didn't play this very long, but I got the impression it was kinda on rails for an open world game. Also found the interviewing frustrating.

Oblivion/Skyrim: Lovely graphics mostly, but horrible combat and worlds that felt kinda dead. I preferred Fallout and New Vegas for the atmosphere and combat mechanics, and the world is actually dead so it felt much more convincing. New Vegas was better. I think think Fallout would have been better if the V.A.T.S system was an upgrade, that perhaps would be acquired for each weapon separately. This would force you to get close and dirty more often.

Minecraft: Love the concept, but life is too short to dig and craft and build and on and on and on... Sorry but I have a life already.

Saints Row: Only played a bit of two, but once a realise I could not drive the cars on first person view it felt to clunky and arcadey to play. I remember thinking the driving was off and the car kind of stuck to the road.

DayZ: A lot of hype, but very unforgiving, clunky and too many zombies and not enough fire power. I know there is other mods to play but I prefer some kind of progressive story to making it all up as I go along.

Battlefield 3: I loved (loved) Battlefield 2 back in the day, but 3 just doesn't have the charm, or maybe it's just being wiped out if I don't play 24/7. I think the levels are too linear or something. Bad Company 2 was fun though.

Assassins Creed 1: Didn't really take to this, and didn't bother with the sequels. Graphics where nice but combat and climbing felt like button mashing. Really liked Prince of Persia, right back to the original (except for the last one with rubbish controls and the magic flying side kick that saved your ass no matter what.)

Total War series: I liked the original Rome, but more for the empire building than the battles. I always thought it was kind of clunky and looking at the recent editions it still looks clunky to me.

Bioshock Infinite: The world wasn't dark and atmospheric like the original. The combat was not good, not that it was ever a strong point in this series; and overall it just didn't hold me like the original did. I even preferred Bioshock 2 more. It doesn't surprise me that the new expansion is back in Rapture.

Love the Stalker series. The new XCOM was good, but could be improved. I liked the mechanics of GTAIV more than the actual game and I had some genuine fun messing about in this game. I hope GTAV is better though. I enjoyed Half Life 2 also, but that was the first game I played on my first PC so it was a quite the visceral experience. Portal is great too. Long live Elite!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭jvrk

Tomb Raider all of the series tried them on each generation.
    But the worse most over hyped game I have ever played is gears of war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Gran Turismo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Any football game, FIFA, Pro evolution.. I really don't get the appeal. Fair enough playing shooter games etc because it gives you a simulation of something that most likely you will never be able to really experience, but if you wanna play soccer then go outside and kick a ball around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Any football game, FIFA, Pro evolution.. I really don't get the appeal. Fair enough playing shooter games etc because it gives you a simulation of something that most likely you will never be able to really experience, but if you wanna play soccer then go outside and kick a ball around!
    If you want to shoot a gun, go outside and shoot a gun, fecking city slickers :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

MGS Series - Gameplay and especially the story do nothing for me.

Loved the first 3D MGS on Playstation.

I'd compare it to my opinion of LOST.

Great first season, turning into complete nonsense after that.

Story characters never grabbed me after the first...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Poor cod, I think at this stage it deserves to be in the other thread.

For me, uncharted left me very cold. Over linear, awful combat and questionable morals (the guy is a mass murderer but is portrayed as a good guy).

Never got into final fantasy either.

I thought of another one that will probably get me banned:
    Dark souls. It is so stressful to play and feels purposefully broken just to f*ck with you. I have it on my shelf after about 3 hours of dying and would love to get back into it but I play games to relax, not frustrate myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Gran turismo
    Metal gear solid
    Fallout
    Skyrim
    Assasins creed
    WOW
    F-zero
    Dead rising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

krudler wrote: »
    Which is historically correct, that level is set in Stalingrad, that's what actually happened, one soldier was given a gun, the other an ammo clip, and if any tried to retreat they'd be shot by their own commanders. the WW2 set COD games have great little details like that. If you're going to play any of the COD games then 4 is probably the best one.

He's talking about Finest Hour on the original XBox which was pretty ****, no the original game.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I can see your point, but I think there is an important novelty factor to consider. I'm going to stick with a franchise if it can maintain the novelty of it. I love The Elder Scrolls and Fallout, for instance, but to some people they just don't enjoy having this vast world to explore. I love being able to do whatever, but for other people they just don't want that.. Or not more than once. I haven't played BLOPS 2, but I did enjoy the campaigns in 4, MW2, MW3 and BLOPS to varying degrees. They aren't sophisticated or intelligent, but I do find fun to be had there.

As an example of a game that the novelty factor wasn't there for me on trying the demo... Minecraft. I tried it for a bit to see how it was. I'm thinking it is a game you have to put a lot of time in to to like it. Sort of a play it till you like it. It might be great once you've spent some time on it, but couldn't bring myself to spend that time.

Different strokes for different folkes

ya modern warfare was the peak of online fps cos of the lack of silly buffs and great modding.

They've become too convoluted now, a lot of players who were around from the previous games including myself would love to see a return to the pure 3/5/7 killstreak setup and get rid of all the nonsense, thermal vision, dogs, remote quadcopters all that bollocks. Just put it back to being gun on gun action and it'll revive the series, it's why 4 is so highly regarded. It's not without it's flaws either but its miles better than the newer ones with their endless streaks and customisable guns and all that guff.

Poor cod, I think at this stage it deserves to be in the other thread.

For me, uncharted left me very cold. Over linear, awful combat and questionable morals (the guy is a mass murderer but is portrayed as a good guy).

Never got into final fantasy either.

I thought of another one that will probably get me banned:
    Dark souls. It is so stressful to play and feels purposefully broken just to f*ck with you. I have it on my shelf after about 3 hours of dying and would love to get back into it but I play games to relax, not frustrate myself.

It always cracks me up that Drake is a sensitive rouge with a heart during the cut scenes and then in the game he is an absolute mass murderer getting trophies for 100 head shots with a certain weapon!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

GTA 5 is and will always be a bore fest. Piece of sh*t game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,095 ✭✭✭✭briany

Skyrim. I tried to like the game and I think I gave it more than a fair shake but it still feels like overwrought and overrated to me. Every dungeon I played through felt unimaginative and uninspired, every character was wooden and the storytelling was bland.

"Ah yes! You found it; the Mace of Xeraphim. Quickly! We must go to my study at once and use it's all seeing eye to decipher the glyphs in the Tome of Inishrah and finally reveal the location of the Blade of Kandanis! But, oh! The magic of this Mace is strong and my heart is weak. My strength may not hold to harness the energy of the mace in time to decode the writings. Unless......There is word of a herb that grows only in a cave atop the mountain northwest of...."

Just decipher the tome, you old c***! I've been two hours hacking my way through Druagrs for this s**t? F--- off. *Hard ragequit*.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    Skyrim. I tried to like the game and I think I gave it more than a fair shake but it still feels like overwrought and overrated to me. Every dungeon I played through felt unimaginative and uninspired, every character was wooden and the storytelling was bland.

"Ah yes! You found it; the Mace of Xeraphim. Quickly! We must go to my study at once and use it's all seeing eye to decipher the glyphs in the Tome of Inishrah and finally reveal the location of the Blade of Kandanis! But, oh! The magic of this Mace is strong and my heart is weak. My strength may not hold to harness the energy of the mace in time to decode the writings. Unless......There is word of a herb that grows only in a cave atop the mountain northwest of...."

Just decipher the tome, you old c***! I've been two hours hacking my way through Druagrs for this s**t? F--- off. *Hard ragequit*.

Spoiler man come on :(:p

Advertisement