Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenancy Situation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sharpsuit

OP it is correct to say that you are a licensee of the tenant, but you also have rights under the Residential Tenancies Act. You have the right to request the landlord to be recognised as tenants and the landlord must not unreasonably refuse this request.

Should the landlord refuse your request, you have the right under the Residential Tenancies Act to refer a dispute to the Private Residential Tenancies Board for the PRTB to adjudicate on whether the reasons given by the landlord are reasonable or not (see section 50(7) of the Act of 2004).

Other than that, you have the rights afforded to you by whatever oral or written contract you have with tenant. He maybe breaching those terms by bringing in new rules.

You should ask the landlord that you be recognised as tenants and refer the matter to the PRTB as necessary. This will leave you in a stronger position vis-a-vis the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

p.s: I understand certain comments about people clearly not being compatible housemates. To be honnest, as soon as the opportunity arises, I would move out get a place for myself. But I CANNOT stand injustice and bullies, which is clearly what is going on here.

OP, there are several ways of looking at this your last comment.

The rest of you could be seen as bullying the lease-holder into sharing his home with people with people who have incompatible beliefs and practices.

He's been the one to man up and be responsible for making sure that the rent is paid every month - it's his name that's on the signed document with the owner, so it's him who will be chased if the rent isn't paid, not the rest of ye.

You sound very passive aggressive: "as soon as the opportunity arises I would move" vs "I am actively looking for a place every day"

Stop waiting for someone else to fix the problem for you, get busy and take responsibility for finding yourself a more appropriate place to live, where you have the legal protections that you seem to want.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭to99

Sorry to hear about that.

Reminds me of this http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=741585

Expected to embrace meditation, tantric something or other (see projector screen) and give over the living room to these sessions (allegedly).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The rest of you could be seen as bullying the lease-holder into sharing his home with people with people who have incompatible beliefs and practices.

In this case I dont think this applies tbh. The tenant/"landlord" advertised looking for room mates. Im assuming he didnt advertise his wacky beliefs initially or he would have gotten no responses. Then he tries to impose these living conditions on those in the property. Whatever way you look at it, he is acting entirely unreasonably.

He is, however, the leaseholder and if the OP doesnt like it then they have to leave.

Advertisement