Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 [aaaarrrghhh bitching and moaning]

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

The Red wrote: »
    Nope, there a long time. Ridiculous.

I must have been lucky up until a couple of days ago. Now it's spread like a wild fire it seems and is in in every game on Metro.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The latest:
    Game could not login to EA Online: your account is not allowed to play this game.

That and huge frame rate drops and stuttering are now a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

5uspect wrote: »
    The latest:

That and huge frame rate drops and stuttering are now a thing.

Not sure if it matters here but the new 14.4 AMD driver destroyed my frame rates. (I have a 7970). There is a settings tweak in the INI file that is supposed to help. When I went up to the beta version of 14.4 it seemed to help anyway. Just thought I'd mention it :D

Not sure if it matters here but the new 14.4 AMD driver destroyed my frame rates. (I have a 7970). There is a settings tweak in the INI file that is supposed to help. When I went up to the beta version of 14.4 it seemed to help anyway. Just thought I'd mention it :D

I'm on the green team. I might try rolling back drivers.

I don't know why I keep coming back to BF4 - I'm not having much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I actually playing ps4 version now of bf4 and having sort of fun. Chilling in recliner chair is one thing that consoles still got left in them ( RIP local multiplayer)

On a bitching side: most of the maps of naval assault are ass and should feel bad. I have a feeling off it like I had from China rising - no fecking cover and get shot from 360 degrees.

• Advertisement

I hear that. Im not sure if its just me but I find it frustrating to play them.. but I reckon its just a case of, I need to get better.. its not much fun doing that though sometimes.

When it works, it seems to me to be better than BF3 but maybe I just find BF3 more responsive and fun?

I dont know anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

On a bitching side: most of the maps of naval assault are ass and should feel bad. I have a feeling off it like I had from China rising - no fecking cover and get shot from 360 degrees.
    I think they're the best maps out so far. Plenty of cover, even on the small island flags :)

A problem I have with the maps is the apparent lack of directionality.

In other BF games you had a general idea where attacks could come from. Players would be funnelled through several routes and a cheeky attempt around those would be difficult. This made rush fun in BC2 while conquest maps had choke points to a similar effect.

In BF4 it seems this is completely gone and there are randomers running about everywhere. There is very little chance to take stock of a situation, to defend a flag from a counter attack for example. Instead the is just instant death from lone wolves hopping all over the place on maps that are very open and not that well laid out. Golmud Railway is the only map that feels like a classic Battlefield map.

So instead of steady improvements with BF4 I think we got regression. Crappy urban maps with feck all destruction other than canned levolution and sniper friendly skyscrapers. Brown, ugly maps with weird flat lighting - say what you want about BF3 and the blue filter but BF4 is not a pretty game for all it's graphics. The new Caspian Border is proof of that.
    It would have been nice instead to have a time of day feature in the maps, it's a deferred lighting engine FFS.

I've had more fun in a week of playing BC2 or BF3 than the nearly six months of this train wreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

The more I play second assault on PS4, the more I want all karkand maps from bf3. I have never played 4 maps in a row bf4 since I have on launch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I always felt the abuse aimed towards EA was rather unfounded. I glossed over some of their more major **** ups (Liquidating studios like Bullfrog, the Sim City Debacle) and accepted some of their smaller ones (EA Servers for FIFA being the most tempermental things in the world) but they managed to turn one of the best set of Devs in the world into *insert expletives applicable* and ruin one of the best franchises and it just pisses me off that they will not only get away with it, but given the state of the gaming market they will likely see their next title sell as well, if not better.

I yearn for the day everyone gives up on EA and its money grabbing ways and we can all go back to Isla Innocentes in BFBC2. I'll fly the choppers x

TL;DR
    EA have stolen DICE's soul. I want them to return it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

When Arma3 starts looking like it'd be more fun than BF4, you know things are bad...

Sparks wrote: »
    When Arma3 starts looking like it'd be more fun than BF4, you know things are bad...

They are completely different games, what's the problem with one being more fun than the other? I have just as much fun in Arma as I do in BF4.

They are completely different games, what's the problem with one being more fun than the other? I have just as much fun in Arma as I do in BF4.

ARMA is more of a labour of love. You put a lot into it to earn a particular kind of fun. Getting utterly destroyed in ARMA is because I'm a complete noob who doesn't really know what I'm doing and getting owned by players who do. It's fun to fail because you learn.

BF is all about intense fire fights attacking a well defended flag, putting C4 on quads, laying out sneaky traps for attackers and other silly things. Instead BF4 has forgotten about that and instead introduced too much cosmetic crap.

Jumping out of choppers nearly always results in death from the rotors. So its no longer fun. Going after armour is now a chore. The cat and mouse game is ruined by the OHKs the gunners seem to nearly always inflict on me.

Flying jets is worse than ever. They're too slow and distanced from the action on the ground. For both jets and helicopters the skill gap between average pilots and the elite few has widened further.

The even twitcher gameplay, TTK and ****ty netcode just results in more camping and bush wookies. Everyone is so worried about their KDR that nobody plays the ****ing objective and I end up getting absolutely hammered because that is all I'm trying to do.

If playing BF4 felt like I died for the good of the team, that I fought to make a difference it would be fun. It isn't. Instead I get moved down by a bunny hopping tool who has 100hp after I emptied both my weapons into him with that ****ing ugly orange kill cam, showing the crappy running on the spot animations, making it impossible to learn what enemies actually look like.

/rant

Exactly. Arma 3 is meant to be a military simulator the way other games are flight simulators or driving simulators or farming simulators (what the everloving feck?) or train simulators or whatever. It's meant to be reflect reality as well as it can within the confines of a computer, and it's meant to be satisfying, rather than fun, if you follow me.

Jumping out of a 50-story skyscraper, firing a rocket into a tank on the way down then popping a chute, landing beside the guy repairing it with a cutting torch and knifing him -- that's not a simulation :D It should be fun, but the one time that works is offset in BF4 by the six times the game crashes in the middle of the awesome because the game thinks UDP port 3689 isn't open.

Different strokes for different folks. You really think a games company would release a game that isn't "fun", but only realistic? No one would buy it - it's not just hardcore realism/simulation fans that buy games like Arma. A game can be very realistic and still fun - whether it's satisfying or fun is only semantics and both work hand-in-hand.

whether it's satisfying or fun is only semantics
    Well, no, it's timing - fun games are fun right now, with the extreme being something like Angry Birds; satisfying games are ones that are fun later on after you've invested time and effort into them, like say DCS: A-10C Warthog or F-16 Falcon 4.0, both of which will basicly teach you to fly the real aircraft (no, not hyperbole, the A-10 sim is by the same company that makes the actual USAF simulator they use for training A-10 pilots, and they've taken up F-16 simulator pilots in the real aircraft and they were able to perform at the level the USAF expected from pilots that were several weeks into flight training).

I'm not saying one's better than the other : I won't play Arma3 while waiting for a bus, and multiplayer Angry Birds would just be silly; but the character of the fun is very different and BF4 shouldn't be less "fun" than Arma3. It just shouldn't. And if it worked properly, it would be a lot more fun than Arma.

(Oh, and about the sales thing - you may have noticed that we don't have many full-on complex simulators anymore after a glut of them in the 90s; that'd be because casual gaming and that end of things represent far more profit for the companies involved. And a lot of the modern sims are coming from companies involved in the non-games sim end of things, like Eagle Dynamics or Janes and even there they're pushing towards multiple aircraft types in one sim rather than one extremely-realisticly sim'd aircraft.

Sparks wrote: »
    but the character of the fun is very different and BF4 shouldn't be less "fun" than Arma3. It just shouldn't. And if it worked properly, it would be a lot more fun than Arma.

Like I said, different games - and more importantly, people perceive fun differently. Fact. Let's just leave it at that.

Naw, you're wrong, but let's leave it at that :D

I'm convinced near 99% of players are blind, be it me as commander throwing radar on on objectives or me using my MAV, literally following and distracting enemies at times at head level just so in the hope someone on my damn team will sneak in for the easy kill as the enemy is marked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Managed to get banned from a server already. Killed one person and banned straight away. Poxy badmins...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DGThread

Battlefield is driving me insane with these rent a servers not being available on XboxOne. Ive waited a week now and still nothing. Half the ones rented are sitting on some random map while the owner is on Netflix.. Its a shame and its makes me mad

DICE should just rename the game AK5Cfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

M249field
    25-house.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭osheen

Just looking at my skill level 298 kd 1-1 lvl 95 and comparing my stats to another lvl 95 with less than half of my scores on all objectives . Less than half kits unlocked etc but a 2 1 kd .He has 5 stars on all snipers and shotguns .
    Only conclusion i can come to is its a reward for your kd not objective or team based .

osheen wrote: »
    Just looking at my skill level 298 kd 1-1 lvl 95 and comparing my stats to another lvl 95 with less than half of my scores on all objectives . Less than half kits unlocked etc but a 2 1 kd .He has 5 stars on all snipers and shotguns .
    Only conclusion i can come to is its a reward for your kd not objective or team based .

What, skill is? Isn't skill based on the enemies killed and their skill level? As in, you kill a guy with a high skill level and your skill goes up? And you get less for someone with low skill. And all that jazz..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

What, skill is? Isn't skill based on the enemies killed and their skill level? As in, you kill a guy with a high skill level and your skill goes up? And you get less for someone with low skill. And all that jazz..

not quite.

its calculated over course of a game based on all 1 on 1 encounters. So game expects you to kill a player with lower skill so you don't get any skill points but if he kills you then you lost points.

my skill fluctuates wildly. I can go 40-1 in a game and have a total plus 1 in skill becuase id be highest skilled player in servrer.

But ive had others where ive gone 10-8 and my skills gone up by 20 because in playing higher skill rated players

Was skill in BF3 based on the same criteria as that in BF4?

My skill in BF3 was a shade over 900, even for a few decent length spells, it was near 1500. In this however, I've been averaging 350-450 for the most part.

I'm an all rounder and a capable one at that, so I had assumed it was largely because of that in the main along with K/D, I thought was the reasoning behind my BF3 skill rating being what it is. Now I'm unsure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭omerin

anyone having issues logging in to battle log? Something went wrong ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

omerin wrote: »
    anyone having issues logging in to battle log? Something went wrong ...

I'm have problems with it all day .

Advertisement