Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merger implications

Options
  • 11-11-2013 3:36am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16

Do all credit unions know the loan history of others or are they restricted to their own members?

If the latter, does it still apply in case of mergers between two or more cu's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Each is independent of each other, so the only thing they would have access to would be what is published/shared as normal day to day procedure.. However, most (if not all) are now members of the ICB. So a check on a members credit record would show loans etc.

The key is on the word "merge": it they merge, they become one -> the customer records eventually become one.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16 Pass the Sauce love

I didn't realise that they all have access to loan/share information, even if from other areas. :confused:

I heard my branch is supposed to be merging with another one from north county dublin, even though I can think of dozens of others nearer to ours that should be merged instead, if we have to. My ex works in the one that's supposed to be merging with ours, and I was hoping my information would not be accessible to her.

She's probably already seen same if all loan history is transferable. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think you're mixing two things up:

The ICB would only be searched if you were making an application for credit from the institution she works in. That would show loans, but nothing about share information that you have in your credit union. That's standard procedure in any bank etc and no different than if you applied to AIB for a loan, or ptsb for a credit card etc and what they would get to see.

Now if two seperate credit unions merge, obviously staff members would have access to customer records from both former institutions eventually, if not instantly. That's just logic.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16 Pass the Sauce love

Sorry, BuffyBot for my slowness this morning. Only home from work and sleep is required.

I'm only a member in Artane, no where else. I read your first explanation wrongly. Thanks for clearing it up.

With a bit of hope, our members will channel the spirit of Naas and reject any merger. If only so a certain woman devil doesnt get her eyes on my info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I don't know about the legalities, but I think most financial institutions would have some provision to screen information internally in the event of conflicts. I would request a meeting with a senior official in your current CU and ask what provision can be made to restrict who can access your data. If you are unhappy with the response (in that you don't feel you are receiving your rights under law rather than the most perfect solution you could ask for) you could contact the Registrar of Credit Unions and the Data Protection Commissioner, asking for guidance on what protection you could have been offered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

You might want to amend your post, it'll be fairly obvious to anyone in the credit union sphere where she works, if anyone from her CU reads this she's bound to hear what you've written about her.

Advertisement