Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing/ Lodging dollar cheques

Options
  • 11-11-2013 6:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I've had a dollar account with PTSB for a number of years, into which I was able to lodge dollar cheques of small amounts (dividend payments, ranging from $5 to $125 each). Last month I was informed of a new $85 charge (not by PTSB but by bank issuing the cheque) and was advised to request electronic payment.

However, the charges for electronic euro or dollar transfers will cost more than the many of the cheque values.

Any ideas of how to cash or lodge the cheques by any means or will I have to bin the cheques?

Thanks in advance,
    Logo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

What is the electronic payment cost?

Which bank is charging these fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Very steep indeed. The OP says that the 85 USD is by the issuing bank and not the PTSB charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks for the replies.

Electronic payment is $10 (electronic fund transfer).
    When the bank teller mentioned $85 for lodgement I didn't believe it either so I asked Customer Services and was given a printout of the charges.

BuffyBot - from your link:
    "A charge of €8.50 per cheque payable on acceptance by the Bank of each cheque. In addition, there will be charges levied by the financial institution on which the respective cheque is drawn. "

I've attached a copy of the printout given by PTSB.

Logo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Apologies, I misread the OP.

It does look like there is very little you will be able to do if the amounts are that small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 bc4tv

Like Logo I've had a US$ dollar with the PTSB dollar for years and was astonished to find out about the $85 charge a couple of days ago.

I took my $ cheques to the the Ulster where they converted them at the prevailing rate and paid them into my current A/C. Thefe was a small commission charge but no mention of any other charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

I've just had the same issue, I'm away, sent a $200 cheque home and they want to charge the same fee to lodge it!

They said I should do electronic transfer, which I can't.

I'll have to cancel it, get it sent to Thailand, sign it over to my mother, send it back to Ireland.

Thanks PTSB!

Advertisement