Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick days in the Public Sector.

• 11-11-2013 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭

Is it acceptable that the public sector pays on average 12 days sick days per year, while the private sector pays on average 6 days. No it is not !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

What is the modal age in both? This could be a driving factor to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Xenophile wrote: »
    Is it acceptable that the public sector pays on average 12 days sick days per year, while the private sector pays on average 6 days. No it is not !

Not many wanted to work in the public sector during the 80s and 90s, especially in the clerical area and the likes of road sweeping, landscsping,waterworks,pen pushing, collecting rubbish, sweeping the road s etc
    I took a job in the public sector and I was laughed at, the factory down the road was paying much better.
    And it provided more money for pints and levi 501's in a range of different colours lol
    I've worked my way up and yeah im delighted with the conditions of annual leave,and sick pay. ...

The public sector was there for everyone to apply to, all people had to do was look out for the jobs, and endure the low pay and no bonus , and watch the incremental increase.
    It's not much of an increase but after 20 year's. ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What's the average of unpaid sick days in both? Paid sick days will screw the stats otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Geomy wrote: »
    Not many wanted to work in the public sector during the 80s and 90s, especially in the clerical area and the likes of road sweeping, landscsping,waterworks,pen pushing, collecting rubbish, sweeping the road s etc
    I took a job in the public sector and I was laughed at, the factory down the road was paying much better.
    And it provided more money for pints and levi 501's in a range of different colours lol
    I've worked my way up and yeah im delighted with the conditions of annual leave,and sick pay. ...

The public sector was there for everyone to apply to, all people had to do was look out for the jobs, and endure the low pay and no bonus , and watch the incremental increase.
    It's not much of an increase but after 20 year's. ......
    Is there anyone in the public sector who wasnt "laughed at" for working in the ps? It seems to come up alot in these conversations. Why would people laugh at you-its always been a good option with decent pay,conditions,maternity benefits,pension etc. Its not for everybody but I personally have never met anybody who laughed at somebody for working in the public sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

harpsman wrote: »
    Is there anyone in the public sector who wasnt "laughed at" for working in the ps? It seems to come up alot in these conversations. Why would people laugh at you-its always been a good option with decent pay,conditions,maternity benefits,pension etc. Its not for everybody but I personally have never met anybody who laughed at somebody for working in the public sector.

Because its a made up story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Oh that seems very unlikely to me.

:-|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

is it acceptable to have the same old issues recycled every now again to create a new thread full of argument and infighting?

and on a Monday?....jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Why is it not acceptable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭caew

the allowance for uncertified sick days in the public sector in 7 days in a TWO year period.

I don't know where you have got 12 from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

nearly 10 years working in the PS - 0 sick days in that time.

Averages are irrelevant. What's unacceptable is a pervading culture that tolerates questionable patterns of attendance. Very little effort beyond lip service is invested in *properly* managing attendance and performance.

There's no penalty or reward in the PS for bad or good attendance. It's not taken into account when performance is being assessed or when interviews are held for promotion because, apparently, that would be discriminatory!

In my experience of working in both, the private sector is much quicker to require someone with a long term health condition to be medically assessed and then finished, if deemed to be medically unfit. But in the PS such people may be left on the books (but not paid after a year) - those outliers will be impacting the averages.

You can argue that's a good thing for the PS to do (with the long term ill) or a bad thing - probably depends on whether you benefit from that approach or not.

By the way where is the data to back up the original assertion?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

yes its perfectly acceptable thank you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

caew wrote: »
    the allowance for uncertified sick days in the public sector in 7 days in a TWO year period.

I don't know where you have got 12 from.

he made it up...you donrt need facts to post in this forum as long as it's an anti-PS agenda you're peddling.

The clue is in the sticky about "average" PS and Private sector wages which is four years old.

chopper6 wrote: »
    he made it up...you donrt need facts to post in this forum as long as it's an anti-PS agenda you're peddling.

The clue is in the sticky about "average" PS and Private sector wages which is four years old.
    No he didnt-there is perfectly good data to show that the average no. of sick days taken per employee is ten in pubsec and 5 in privsec.

Jawgap wrote: »
    nearly 10 years working in the PS - 0 sick days in that time.

Averages are irrelevant. What's unacceptable is a pervading culture that tolerates questionable patterns of attendance. Very little effort beyond lip service is invested in *properly* managing attendance and performance.

There's no penalty or reward in the PS for bad or good attendance. It's not taken into account when performance is being assessed or when interviews are held for promotion because, apparently, that would be discriminatory!

In my experience of working in both, the private sector is much quicker to require someone with a long term health condition to be medically assessed and then finished, if deemed to be medically unfit. But in the PS such people may be left on the books (but not paid after a year) - those outliers will be impacting the averages.

You can argue that's a good thing for the PS to do (with the long term ill) or a bad thing - probably depends on whether you benefit from that approach or not.

By the way where is the data to back up the original assertion?
    Surely the chronic absenteeism must drive you mad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

harpsman wrote: »
    Surely the chronic absenteeism must drive you mad?

if there was chronic absenteeism, it would - but there isn't in my experience.

What I do notice is that some usual suspects - if they are going to be sick - tend to do so on a Monday. But I don't think that is a peculiarly public sector phenomenon. I suspect after this year's All Ireland there was a major outbreak of illness affecting all sectors for 24 hours;)

I don't think it's a problem to the same extent as the media would have us believe. Also, in the HSE I've always wondered why people get so worked up about the figures - these people are working in close proximity to illness, disease and ill-health every day - it would be more newsworthy if they weren't getting as sick as the rest of us! :D

What does irritate me a little bit is the failure to have in place a decent system to manage attendance, backed up by proper management information stats and access to a well developed occupational medical service. Also managers don't manage such situations when they arise because they're trained, encouraged etc to do so.

Just as an aside, when I worked in the UK the firm I worked for had a corporate box at Spurs - it was just a given that if you were 'working' there on a Sunday or at a Monday night game, you'd be MIA the next day, but you wouldn't be recorded as having taken a sick day (and you'd still be paid).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If your OP consists of nothing more than a two-line thought that just popped into your head, don't start a thread.

Thank you.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement