Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC/Monitor trouble

Options
  • 11-11-2013 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi
    The problem im having is when i turn on the pc, the monitor says "no signal"..
    I have checked the ports on both pc and monitor to see if it was damanged and it didnt look to be..
    I tried a different cable and same thing happens - no signal..
    the monitor will work with a netbook and laptop. so the problem must be on the side of the pc..
    i was thinking it could be the motherboard thats shot.. and I have important info on the hard drive and really dont want to lose it..
    any help or advice you can give me on where to start would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you have an integrated GFX card, try a expansion slot one, other wise try reseating the card.

There should be no big problem retrieving your data. Any other PCs you could put the disk into as a slave drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭bizebee

Thanks Bonzodog2 for your reply,
    I looked inside and the VGA port is built into the motherboard and also any graphics that's needed is also built in .
    No expansion slots are being used. I have noticed that the mouse and keyboard wont even work ( usb slots also built in on motherboard...)
    The cpu fan is working, dvd drive opens, lights flash on the front also but no beeping noises, so I am confused as to what it could be..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Try reseating the RAM. If that doesn't work, try booting with just one stick, if it works try the other(s). Could be a loose module or just one failed

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well info on the drive won't be lost.

Depending on the motherboard you might in uncommon cases have POST-state LEDs that will help you determine what an issue is. Then again, the last 2 machines I built were with Sabertooth boards so I'm a bit spoiled.

Advertisement