Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

About to pull the trigger (I mean string) on S/H kit

• 11-11-2013 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

How does this sound:

1 X Yamaha (one piece) recurve bow - used (don't know model yet).
    10x Beman ics 350 Carbon Arrows (boxed unused inc. Dampener).
    1 x Kiddies Hunter Dan Boomer Youth composite bow
    4 x Arrows with the Hunter Dan

Decided I want to get out and do something different and seems like a ridiculously inexpensive package to get started with everything included for a shade over 90euro. There are a few ranges in close proximity haven't pulled a bowstring since I was about 13 though :p

Looks to have been stored properly unstrung and going to have a look tomorrow.

Questions:

1. Are the ics 350 Arrows suitable for the Yamaha ?
    2. What type of potential damage should I look out for on it ?

Tnx

084444117_ebf8b12d8f6154e89fd346db87336610f74aa0b9.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

was.deevey wrote: »
    How does this sound:

1 X Yamaha (one piece) recurve bow - used (don't know model yet).
    10x Beman ics 350 Carbon Arrows (boxed unused inc. Dampener).
    1 x Kiddies Hunter Dan Boomer Youth composite bow
    4 x Arrows with the Hunter Dan

Decided I want to get out and do something different and seems like a ridiculously inexpensive package to get started with everything included for a shade over 90euro. There are a few ranges in close proximity haven't pulled a bowstring since I was about 13 though :p

Looks to have been stored properly unstrung and going to have a look tomorrow.

Questions:

1. Are the ics 350 Arrows suitable for the Yamaha ?
    2. What type of potential damage should I look out for on it ?

Tnx

084444117_ebf8b12d8f6154e89fd346db87336610f74aa0b9.jpg

I am only shooting 11 months, so far from an expert. But somethings I think you should consider are

* The poundage of the bow. If you haven't use a bow since you were 13, then you are back at beginner stage. Your muscles will not be used to using a bow, so you should not use a bow above say 26/28 lbs starting off. Pulling a bow of too high a poundage straight off can cause injury to shoulder & back muscles.

* Arrows are not matched to the bow, they are matched to the Archers draw length and the poundage of the bow they are using. So no way really to tell you if the arrows will suit you using this bow.

* Your draw length. It's possible that these arrows are too short for you. Again arrows are cut in length to match the archer. You need to be sure that there is no chance of you pulling the arrow off the rest when you come to full draw and possibly loose the arrow through your hand.

* You mention there are a "few ranges close to you". However most ranges will be run by clubs and you would likely have to be a member to use the range as you would not be covered by the clubs insurance otherwise. Most if not all clubs would not allow uninsured archers to shoot at their range. So this is somethign you would need to be aware of. Shooting in a field or park land is a no no and if you were reported you could find yourself in trouble with the authorities.

* As for potential damage. You would be looking for sign of physical damage to the bow itself. Cracks in the wood etc I would imagine. I shoot a modern olympic recurve bow so not familiar with wooden bows.

In finishing, I would say that although this looks like an ok offer, If you have not been shooting in a while, I think you woudl be better contacting a club and doing a beginner course again. And once you are sure you are into archery, then get advice from the club coaches with regards to equipment which will suit you. Rather then trying to make somebody else's equipment suit you.

Just my 2 cents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I went ahead and bought it this morning, he used to shoot regularly in a High School team and tried to get his own 10 year old kid interested which failed miserably as the kid wanted to kick a ball around instead (hence the kiddies compound bow that came included).

He knew his stuff, its a Yamaha 64' Recurve "Longbow" model B-32, which is Appx 45lbs (so he said) or comparable pull to a 38lbs recurve.

If anyone has any info on this bow it'd be great as I have not been able to find any.

He owned it for about 20 years. Theres no visible cracking whatsoever - used but looked after - it needs new string (no biggie).

The 12 Arrows (ICS 400 Carbon - new and uncut @ 32') are apparently a good match to the Bow and worth $100 alone however no arrow heads.

The Archery Ranges over here (Philippines) you can literally just walk in and shoot for about 2 euro an hour (not bad eh).

The "youth" bow is pretty hilarious in size and draw, but its brand new and hell for the price might come in useful during the next zombie apocalypse :p

I'll get it restrung in a day or two and we'll see if I'm up to the task I guess, if not I'll be using the kiddies 20lb compound for a while hehe.

Advertisement