Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q School 2013 - Final Stage

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Bogey on 13. Hopefully he takes advantage of upcoming par 5

Another bogey:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,178 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Any reason why he was one of the first to tee off today? (when he was in the Top 20 overnight)
    He'll be in the clubhouse while most the field are still out there, I think he needs a couple of shots cushion when coming off 18..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 waterfordal

Birdie on the 15th. Up to T20 now.

Par 3, 4, 4 to finish...
    T20 on -9 with 4 others.
    12 more lads on -8 but but with extra holes to play.

Hoping a level par finish will see him through.
    5 off the 16 lads on -9 or -8 would have to get to -10 to see him miss out.

• Advertisement

Parred the 16th.

Getting better for him now, 2 from above him have dropped down.
    Still on -9 but T18th now.
    Top 25 and tied get through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

serious cajónes!

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/qualifying/season=2013/tournamentid=2013995/leaderboard/index.html

First man in the house, and almost certainly with a European Tour card in his hand (barring any sporting disasters), is Irishman Kevin Phelan who just gave a shining example of the big things expected of this young pup by so many in the know. He's teetered on the brink for much of this final day, a real 'Will he / Won't he" scenario, but pleasingly so for everyone back on the Emerald Isle, he has finished up at ten under par thanks to a stunning birdie at the last. Faced with just a short iron to the green, he took dead aim knowing that nothing more than par would do, and he almost damn near holed it. A four footer for his birdie remained, and in she popped. Well played sir, well played indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Delighted for Kevin Phelan and delighted that Ireland has a new golfing star coming on tour. Really have to feel for David Higgins who after that second place in Italy I really felt was going to keep his card. I guess though both he and Ruadhri McGee will have the consolidation of the Challenge Tour although their rankings will not be great starting the year.

I noticed earlier in the week aswell that Dermot McElroy will be considering turning pro even though he didn't get his card. They reckon ISM will sign him and get him invites to some events in the hope of making enough money to get into other events.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

A great finish after the 2 bogies. Solid stuff not to lose it.

So happy for Kevin as long as nothing mad happens with the rest of the field.

• Advertisement

Delighted for Phelan. Serious balls to come back from back to back dropped shots on back 9

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

AGC wrote: »
    Delighted for Phelan. Serious balls to come back from back to back dropped shots on back 9

Under that pressure to birdie the last is some finish. Bodes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

After Round

After Round

He looks shattered!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Commiserations to David Higgins, Ruaidhri McGee and Dermot McElroy. You gave it a great go but you will get back there next season I'm sure.

Fantastic performance from Kevin Phelan. He appears to be the real deal.

Very well done !
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

ssbob wrote: »
    He looks shattered!

Tough gig ssbob, a beer should help him:D

Mind you I hope Carlos Del Moral's girlfriend, stays as his caddy on tour, could brighten up a few tournaments.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Delighted for the lad. Also nice for Waterford as it is a great golfing county.

Looking at it there - 6 rounds with that much pressure - it is a grueller of an event.

Hopefully we have a new lad with a big carrier ahead.

And Gavin Moynihan going the US college route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Delighted for the lad. Also nice for Waterford as it is a great golfing county.

Looking at it there - 6 rounds with that much pressure - it is a grueller of an event.

Hopefully we have a new lad with a big carrier ahead.

And Gavin Moynihan going the US college route.

14 rounds for Phelan as he came through all 3 stages.
    Didn't have a shot to spare in the first 2 stages and was again on the mark playing the last hole of his 14th round. Great achievement!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Just watched it on sky.

Nightmare of an event. Phelan played a great shot into last , to win card.

Lads who have been back 12 times - Ryder Cup player Ollie Wilson missing out to kids.

Hard life - as one lad said - "I'll be on tour, or back working in a bar".

The only thing is - it is only the start in a way - The European tour it is harder again. The courses are harder , other players are harder, making a cut every week is hard. The players around you are better again.

We are better off as amateurs, with a handicap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Just watched it on sky.

Nightmare of an event. Phelan played a great shot into last , to win card.

Lads who have been back 12 times - Ryder Cup player Ollie Wilson missing out to kids.

Hard life - as one lad said - "I'll be on tour, or back working in a bar".

The only thing is - it is only the start in a way - The European tour it is harder again. The courses are harder , other players are harder, making a cut every week is hard. The players around you are better again.

We are better off as amateurs, with a handicap :)

I would also guess that now the PGA Q school no longer provides a direct route to the PGA Tour (only the Web.com), there will be more and more Yanks coming to the European Q School.

Also am I right in saying that Phelan is the only European Walker cup player to make the grade???
    I assume the best the US team could do would be to make the Web.com tour

• Advertisement

I would also guess that now the PGA Q school no longer provides a direct route to the PGA Tour (only the Web.com), there will be more and more Yanks coming to the European Q School.

Also am I right in saying that Phelan is the only European Walker cup player to make the grade???
    I assume the best the US team could do would be to make the Web.com tour

In fairness some of the prize money available on the Web.com tour is better than the lower ranked European Tour events!

I think I prefer the way the american system is going as it is more of a graduated develoopment of players, although you are still going to have your superstars like Rory/Jordan Speith etc who will win their card on invites!

Yip, a teammate of his, Callum Shinkwin got through to the final stage but finished well down the field.

Far play to Sky again, they certainly give the Irish lads plenty of coverage, got to see plenty of Phelan.
    Some 2nd shot by him on the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Hopefully the experience will put him in good stand for when he plays on tour. Being able to perform under pressure is one of the hardest things in golf, especially on a Sunday to get paid.

Advertisement