Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy too young for fetch?

• 11-11-2013 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

I have a 5 month old labrador (male) and just the other day I was walking him on the beach and started throwing a stick for him. He loved it but now I'm wondering is he still too young for this kind of activity?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Depends really. Is he jumping alot? Too much jumping at that age may affect his bone development.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Not while playing fetch but he does jump towards us now and then but we're trying to get him to stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My pup is the same age as yours and I think it's fine for a few mins at a time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Sticks are a bad idea! Not because of you dogs age but because the dog can misjudge a stick in flight and catch the end of the stick in his throat, result can be an expensive trip to the Vet.

A ball would be better and if you are worried about jumping it can be throw/rolled fairly close to the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Sticks are a bad idea! Not because of you dogs age but because the dog can misjudge a stick in flight and catch the end of the stick in his throat, result can be an expensive trip to the Vet.

A ball would be better and if you are worried about jumping it can be throw/rolled fairly close to the ground.

This exact scenario happened to my sisters dog, stick went right into his throat. An expensive and stressful time for all ensued.

Maybe a frisbee would be a better idea?

• Advertisement

Well I only threw it when he was next to me so it landed long before he got near it but I take your point. I bought him a Kong ball the other day (to add to the ever growing Kong collection!) so I'll bring that in future. I was just wondering if the impact of chasing is bad for him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I always liked to use a piece of thick rope pushed through a tennis ball and then knotted. Easy to carry, throw and doesn't bounce too high.
    Also very cheap to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

robocode wrote: »
    I have a 5 month old labrador (male) and just the other day I was walking him on the beach and started throwing a stick for him. He loved it but now I'm wondering is he still too young for this kind of activity?

He's not s bit too young, I had a couple of Springers in my time and would have them playing with a rolled up pair of socks at 2mths old.
    You can buy a proper dummy for teaching fetch, of different weights and sizes, and work up to adding feather and fur to the mix.
    You can get great reward from teaching a dog how to retrieve properly, he will eventually learn to 'mark' and blind retrieve.
    An important part of the fetch is that the dog willingly and eagerly gives up the prize, so spend time on perfecting this aspect too.
    Even if only a pet dog it's a great discipline to master.

So it's ok on his joints if he runs (and he runs fast!) after a ball for 10/15 minutes on sand? He's purebred and whenever I google something like this I instantly feel the shadow of hip dysplasia looming over me/him! I'd hate for him to get hurt.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'd roll the ball, rather than throw it, just so you can regulate his speed a bit. And I'd also leave him in a sit (or get someone to hold him) show him you're hiding a ball, come back to him, then release him to go find it and bring it back to you. Make it really easy at first, he'll get it fast enough.
    For the record, two tennis balls make for greater ease in teaching the fetch. Wait for pup to come back with one ball, show him the other one, as soon as he drops his ball you roll your one!
    Then his ball becomes your ball, which you can hide or roll again.
    I hope that makes sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

DBB wrote: »
    I'd roll the ball, rather than throw it, just so you can regulate his speed a bit. And I'd also leave him in a sit (or get someone to hold him) show him you're hiding a ball, come back to him, then release him to go find it and bring it back to you. Make it really easy at first, he'll get it fast enough.
    For the record, two tennis balls make for greater ease in teaching the fetch. Wait for pup to come back with one ball, show him the other one, as soon as he drops his ball you roll your one!
    Then his ball becomes your ball, which you can hide or roll again.
    I hope that makes sense!

Great advice DBB. Our middle learned to fetch really early - rolled up sock etc. She loves the frisbee but I find the best excitement is in searching for a lost ball - as a border collie shes very energetic and loves to jump but I find varying her games works better.

Thanks for all the advice. So basically, he's ok running after a ball but just don't throw it too far/fast and keep him on sand/grass?

Advertisement