Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECB - lights tripping the switch

Options
  • 11-11-2013 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭

In the ECB, I have three separate switches for lights in my house...at some point over the weekend, one of these flipped and when I try to flip it back on it immediately flips off again (with a little spark behind it)

Everything else works fine in the house (cooker\sockets\etc) it is just a certain collection of lights (a couple of rooms upstairs and downstairs and the lights just outside the front door). I put in new bulbs in the outside lights that same day and thought maybe that was the cause so took them out and still the switch flips. Is there any way to isolate the problem area or what is the best course of action here? Do I need to take out every bulb individually in the circuit and try flipping to find the troublesome one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

turn off all the light switches in affected area

restore power then if possible

ECB?:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

ECB?:)
    Electrical Circuit Board perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

electricity control box?

earthed consumer board?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In the ECB, I have three separate switches for lights in my house

I assume you mean MCB's sometimes refered to as "trip switches".

...at some point over the weekend, one of these flipped and when I try to flip it back on it immediately flips off again (with a little spark behind it)

This sounds like a short circuit has developed on one of the lighting circuits. With the MCB in the off position all lights on this circuit will not work.

Everything else works fine in the house (cooker\sockets\etc) it is just a certain collection of lights (a couple of rooms upstairs and downstairs and the lights just outside the front door).

Yes all other circuits will remain operational as the fault is only on the lighting circuit.

I put in new bulbs in the outside lights that same day and thought maybe that was the cause so took them out and still the switch flips.

There is a chance that you disturbed the wiring (possibly a losse connection) in one of these lights.
    Is there any way to isolate the problem area or what is the best course of action here?

Best course of action is as per the suggestion by tomdempsey200.
    Switch off the light switches for these lights. The chances are you will then be able to reset the MCB. Once the faulty light is identified it should be simple enough to find the problem. However it is important to ensure the circuit is off before inspecting any of the lights. If in doubt employ a qualified electrician.

electricity control box?

earthed consumer board?

European Central Bank :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Thanks to all - ECB (I heard this before and assumed it stood for Electric Circuit Board)...basically its the box that houses all the fuses that flick on and off

The problem with turning off all the lights is that a lot of them can be switched on and off in more than one place, so its not just a matter of if the light switch is in the usual on\off setting. I wouldn't know whats on a off...also, there are some dimmers on the circuit too and i can't tell if that is on\off either.

I think I might just have to bite the bullet and get an electrician in

Thanks to all - ECB (I heard this before and assumed it stood for Electric Circuit Board

I would imagine that you heard "ELCB" which stands fro Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker. These are now refered to as RCD's (Residual Current Device) and are frequently installed in distribution boards in domestic installations.
    I think I might just have to bite the bullet and get an electrician in

+1
    If in doubt that is a sensible option.

Advertisement