Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calgary or Vancouver?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

There are tremendous opportunities in every corner of this great country. All my friends who stayed did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Come on now. I wasn't just down Hastings, Though I did go through there! The only place I didn't see people hobbled over themselves, sleeping rough or shouting obscenities was down by the on the water terminal. But then around that area down by the CFL stadium and the big Public Library also had a lot of cops driving around. If you walk a few miles in any direction from it, you see the extremes that I saw.

What may be different to the US cities that somebody was comparing them too, is the fact the downtown areas tend to be kept clear of it. I live in Phoenix. South Phoenix has a realy crime problem. Downtown is a ghost town, it's a big sprawl and the downtown area isn't really inhabited but at the same time there's nothing like I saw in Vancouver. I went to Seattle, I couldn't tell you where the bad spots of that city are, I would guess they are somewhere on the fringe of the city...though Seattle was very unique, it seemed like a very wealthy area. Also very expensive.

In New York. Manhattan is very safe, most of Brooklyn is now pretty safe too, it has been taken over by Hipsters but other parts of Brooklyn are very dangerous, ditto parts of Queens etc. LA is a complete dump.

Also, I'm not attempting to be sensationalist, this is honestly my opinion. Also, not sure why but what's up with the poorly designed parking garages in Vancouver and the mysterious ATM with the railing in front of it!?

If I had any city to compare Vancouver to in terms of the US it would be somewhere like Providence, Rhode Island.

Seattle's bad spots are downtown near the stadium by Pioneer Sq. Its far more dangerous than Vancouver. The cities around like Tacoma can be pretty bad.

Thing about E Hastings is there literally no murders there at all. Most of the murders and serious crime are out in Surrey with the Indian gangs killing each other. I have never felt scared here and like I said i work down in E Hastings quite a lot.

Had a fine weekend in Providence 15 odd years back. Nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Canadian downtowns are still safe by North American standards (it's not hard to look good against the US and, well, Mexico). Despite some highly publicized shoot outs in the malls and streets, Toronto's overall homicide rate is lower than most cities in the country. Generally, Ontario cities tend to be safer. Gang violence is beginning to tick up in Western cities and one long-term concern would be with First Nation (Native Indian) gangs in cities like Winnipeg.

Advertisement