Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceannt Station

Options
  • 11-11-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

Any plans available of the layout of the works at Ceannt Station in the City? I see they have created a Taxi Rank on the Fairgreen Road between the New Coach Station and Ceannt Station; any other New Features?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Did I hear that a substantial amount of bike parking has been installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,942 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There is a substantial amount of bike parking in the area near the entrance to the Line where there buses used to park. This is now open for use. I have no idea how secure it will be, given the neighbourhood.

There are individual bus-bays being built. They must be very well built, because it's taking a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

biko wrote: »
    http://194.106.151.76/projects/galway_station_redevelopment.asp
    http://194.106.151.76/projects/open_days_boards.pdf[/QUOTE]

Cheers Biko, but these are the old plans from 2007 were they were going to build hundreds of apartments and a shopping centre. Just looking for plans for the current very small scale renovations to the bus bays, exits and entrances to the Station

There is a substantial amount of bike parking in the area near the entrance to the Line where there buses used to park. This is now open for use. I have no idea how secure it will be, given the neighbourhood.

There are individual bus-bays being built. They must be very well built, because it's taking a very long time.

Do you know the number of bike parking stands and how many Bus Bays are being built?

• Advertisement

Anybody been through Ceannt Station recently? What is the status of the works?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

biko wrote: »
    http://194.106.151.76/projects/galway_station_redevelopment.asp
    http://194.106.151.76/projects/open_days_boards.pdf[/QUOTE]

Cheers Biko, but these are the old plans from 2007 were they were going to build hundreds of apartments and a shopping centre. Just looking for plans for the current very small scale renovations to the bus bays, exits and entrances to the Station

Is this still going ahead or is it another celtic tiger dream?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Anybody been through Ceannt Station recently? What is the status of the works?

I was there about a week ago, still a big mess :) Though you can see the bus bays taking shape now.

Still a mess, even today.

The bike parking bays were open (and unused) on Sunday evening.

I think I counted 5/6 perpendicular bus-parks, and two parallel ones down the front where the road is narrower. Each one has big yellow poles in front of it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Oh thank god! I was horrified at those buildings, so gawdy and completely out of place with the tone of the city. I know Galway city doesn't have a brilliant architectural reputation when it comes to new builds but those plans were just awful. I guess we have the recession to thank for something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Oh thank god! I was horrified at those buildings, so gawdy and completely out of place with the tone of the city. I know Galway city doesn't have a brilliant architectural reputation when it comes to new builds but those plans were just awful. I guess we have the recession to thank for something.
    Why are they gawdy? Because they are too high? Honest question leading to a serious point.

This country has serious issues with regards to building up the way. This country's cities are incredibly low-density, considering the area they take up, because of a fear of building tall buildings. Why is this?

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    This country has serious issues with regards to building up the way. This country's cities are incredibly low-density, considering the area they take up, because of a fear of building tall buildings. Why is this?

Presume it is to do with affluence. Bigger houses, smaller familys and motor cars? What is interesting is that Galway City's density has declined since the 1960's. Roddy Mannions book "Galway : A Sense of Place"
    http://www.theliffeypress.com/galway-a-sense-of-place.html

documents this. I dont have the figures to hand right now but will update the post once I do.

Still a mess, even today.

The bike parking bays were open (and unused) on Sunday evening.

I think I counted 5/6 perpendicular bus-parks, and two parallel ones down the front where the road is narrower. Each one has big yellow poles in front of it.

It is taking a while alright but hopefully it will be worth it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Why are they gawdy? Because they are too high? Honest question leading to a serious point.

We can (and probably must) build up as the city grows. But do we have to go straight to a 16 story skyscraper in a city that has very few buildings over 7 stories?

And that awful style of architecture that seems designed to go for an award rather than providing a place that people want to live in, the all glass and girders look that is nice and shiny for the first year and then starts to look depressing and soulless.

I'm particularly referring to the picture of all the glass fronted apartments facing each other. Irish people like privacy, not everyone staring into each others living room. That development did not take the character of Galway into account at all.

This is how we end up with the likes of Bailey Point in Salthill. In fact most large celtic tiger era buildings qualify as gawdy, with a few exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Just walked passed it and im preeety sure those big yellow poles are just ordinary ones with a yellow protective covering..thats what it looked like anyway! They're resurfacing the road now down towards the main road so id say it'll be finished soon enough

There's now a barrier arm at the bottom of the road - I guess to stop taxis and private cars nipping thru there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Didnt i tell ya it wouldnt be long till it opened? :D i like it, 9 lovely bus stops and a new extra large path for the people who dont know how to queue properly

Yup, fully functional today. I took some photos, will post 'em later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Walked home through it. Looks good. More orderly. I like the barriers at each end. It used to be a bit of a death-trap with people, bikes, cars, taxis and buses all swarming around going in different directions.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Walked home through it. Looks good. More orderly. I like the barriers at each end. It used to be a bit of a death-trap with people, bikes, cars, taxis and buses all swarming around going in different directions.

Do you have any pics by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Do you have any pics by any chance?
    No, sorry. The camera I had on me didn't have a flash and it was dark at the time.

Yup, fully functional today. I took some photos, will post 'em later.

With your public transport hat on - what do you make of the changes Mrs OBumble? Is it an improvement for public transport users of Ceannt Station?

With your public transport hat on - what do you make of the changes Mrs OBumble? Is it an improvement for public transport users of Ceannt Station?

Yes - if only because the footpath is now wide enough to support someone walking past a queue of people waiting for a bus. And there are now 9 marked bus-stops vs 7 previously. Should be safer now there's no need for people to be walking on the road behind the buses, and it's possible to get to the luggage compartments on the other side from the footpaths.

There are electronic display signs at each stop - weren't working yesterday, but I guess they may in time.

There is bicycle-parking, but none of the visible CCTV camera (there are lots) are looiking at it. Don't know that I'd leave a bike there anytime soon.

Still no shelter for people waiting for the bus, though, which is a big minus. But perhaps it's designed so shelters can be added later if there's more money.

Taxi's are a bit of a walk away, manageable for most people, but I wonder if they'll make exceptions and let one thru for particularly elderly etc people.

There are barrier arms at each end of "Station Rd", ie be the Fairgreen and by the Merryck. Will be interesting soe see whether guards, ambulances etc will be able to get thru.

No parking for buses at the station apart from the 9 stops, which could slow things up a bit at peak times unless they get very good at placing vehicles where they need 'em.

Thanks for detailed post Mrs OBumble. Shelters would certainly have been a welcome addition.
    Other questions I would have.

RE - CCTV; I wonder would this require a big change to get oversight on the stands?
    Who is the Station Master? Is there any CIE/Irish Rail/Bus Eireann links out there with his info?
    Re Barrier Arms - would they stop a cyclist getting past? Would they have to dismount and become a pedestrian? i.e How will they be able to get to the Bike Parking?

Re Bus access and loss of set down places at the station. Good observation I had not thought of this. I presume they will still be travelling from the Depot on the docks via Lough Atalia; Fairgreen Road like they have in the past. Sequencing at busy times could be tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I'd have a concern if CCTV was on the bike stands that a lot cyclists would just dock their bikes there as a safe docking point in the city centre which would detract from it's intended use a bike docking point for passengers of the station. In the same way that cars cannot use car parks for businesses they are not frequenting, same rule should apply for bikes although the logistics of managing misuse of the stands by non bus/rail passengers might be difficult to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Thanks for detailed post Mrs OBumble. Shelters would certainly have been a welcome addition.
    Other questions I would have.

RE - CCTV; I wonder would this require a big change to get oversight on the stands?
    Who is the Station Master? Is there any CIE/Irish Rail/Bus Eireann links out there with his info?
    Re Barrier Arms - would they stop a cyclist getting past? Would they have to dismount and become a pedestrian? i.e How will they be able to get to the Bike Parking?

Re Bus access and loss of set down places at the station. Good observation I had not thought of this. I presume they will still be travelling from the Depot on the docks via Lough Atalia; Fairgreen Road like they have in the past. Sequencing at busy times could be tricky.
    I'd imagine the bike stand is for users of the station (bus,train). Therefore, cyclists should go through the barrier like any other vehicle, considering bicycles are classed as a vehicle of equal importance to all others in Irish law. Cyclists shouldn't be cycling through the station, it's not a rat-run. If cars can't do it, neither should cyclists. So I'd imagine the problem of cyclists dismounting and using paths shouldn't be an issue, assuming they are all law-abiding.

zarquon wrote: »
    I'd have a concern if CCTV was on the bike stands that a lot cyclists would just dock their bikes there as a safe docking point in the city centre which would detract from it's intended use a bike docking point for passengers of the station. In the same way that cars cannot use car parks for businesses they are not frequenting, same rule should apply for bikes although the logistics of managing misuse of the stands by non bus/rail passengers might be difficult to implement.

Would be a nice problem to have. Enough stands at the station for 64 bikes so doubt it will be an issue for the time being. Easy enough anyhow to put in bike parking around the city should this occur. 1 car parking space = 10 bike parking spaces.

Therefore, cyclists should go through the barrier like any other vehicle, considering bicycles are classed as a vehicle of equal importance to all others in Irish law.

Agree - but will the barrier detect them? From my understanding will only be bus operators who will be able to have the barrier lift for them? I dont have a picture of the barrier so we maybe discussing a non-issue here if a cycle bypass is already being provided for, so that station users can get to the bike parking area.

Therefore, cyclists should go through the barrier like any other vehicle, considering bicycles are classed as a vehicle of equal importance to all others in Irish law. Cyclists shouldn't be cycling through the station, it's not a rat-run. If cars can't do it, neither should cyclists.

Ahh, you do know there's a contradiction in what youv'e said: the first sentence says that they should go thru the barriers, the second says they shouldn't.

Confused much!

• Advertisement

Cyclists shouldn't be cycling through the station, it's not a rat-run.
    Correction here - you cannot rat-run anyhow if you are walking or cycling.

Advertisement