Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceannt Station

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

zarquon wrote: »
    I'd have a concern if CCTV was on the bike stands that a lot cyclists would just dock their bikes there as a safe docking point in the city centre which would detract from it's intended use a bike docking point ...

Prevention of abuse of the parking is down to the management of the place. A lack of CCTV means few people will use it, whether they're using the station facilities or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Let's not get bogged down with what does or does not constitute a 'rat-run', and keep specifically on topic of the Ceannt Station. General cycling, driving and walking discussion will not be tolerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Who is the Station Master? Is there any CIE/Irish Rail/Bus Eireann links out there with his info?

Thsi page has info that I've found previiusly re the management of the city bus companies: http://www.galwaytransport.info/2012/10/bus-companies-in-galway-city-ireland.html

I believe it's still up to date.

Will try and load my pics of the barriers tonight. TBH, I cannot remember whether there was a cyclist-wide gap or not. But if I was on a cycle I don't think I'd want to be riding behind the parked buses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

Have they started enforcing the taxi rank? Taxis are still blocking up the road outside the new bus station with their usual disregard for other road users. Makes cycling that stretch of road down to lough atalia difficult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Ahh, you do know there's a contradiction in what youv'e said: the first sentence says that they should go thru the barriers, the second says they shouldn't.

Confused much!
    For what it's worth, there's no contradiction. The second sentence refers to potential rat-runs. Of course, cyclists are allowed to cycle to and from the station after using the cycle park, and cycle through the barrier in the process. When I said through, I meant specifically as a rat-run or shortcut. Apologies for any confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Passed through Ceannt Station this evening. New Sign on Fairgreen road at Station entrance here next to the Taxi Rank. Its a "No entry" sign but has exception for Buses and Cyclists. Will post picture if passing in Daylight.

Better late than never, here's my set of pics of the bus station. Couldn't get good shots of the top barrier arm, or the taxi stand.

The barrier arm at the exit does raise for bicycles - I saw it happen on Sunday evening.

1-RIMG0311.JPG

2-RIMG0313.JPG

3-RIMG0321.JPG

4-RIMG0315.JPG

5-RIMG0318.JPG

6-RIMG0319.JPG

7-RIMG0322.JPG

Not the greatest photos ever taken, I was trying to avoid having any of the staff in 'em 'cos I don't want to be splashing individuals photos withut their consent. But you get the idea.

Better late than never, here's my set of pics of the bus station. Couldn't get good shots of the top barrier arm, or the taxi stand. The barrier arm at the exit does raise for bicycles - I saw it happen on Sunday evening.
    Thanks for posting the pics.
    True - this really should have been done decades ago though. Wonder what the final cost of the work's were?

Looks good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

Wow that's some improvement, especially from a safety point of view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

A friend was cycling in the staition today. They lowered the barrier to block him and told him he will need to 'walk' his bike in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

dilallio wrote: »
    A friend was cycling in the staition today. They lowered the barrier to block him and told him he will need to 'walk' his bike in the future.

Was he a customer or just cycling through the station as a short cut? If it's the latter, i can understand the eagerness to not accomodate the cyclist.

Eh, who lowered it? It's down all the time, and only raises for vehicles. Did he try cycling up to it, in the same way a bus would?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

so if I have visitors with heavy bags etc - where do I drop them now if I cant drive close to the station, for them to get a bus/train etc? (just wondering...)

galah wrote: »
    so if I have visitors with heavy bags etc - where do I drop them now if I cant drive close to the station, for them to get a bus/train etc? (just wondering...)

Just beyond the Fairgreen Hostel near the start of the Railway Walkway there is a drop off /u-turn facility

galah wrote: »

You're supposed to drop them off at fairgreen where the unused taxi rank exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

He was cycling through.

A bus was in front of him and one of the BE staff stopped him as the barrier was lowered and advised him that 'he might hit an elderly or disabled person when cycling'

You're supposed to drop them off at fairgreen where the unused taxi rank exists.

Nope, there a drop and turning spot even closer, right outside the band hall. If a person no matter how elderly can't manage from there, then they're not really able for catching the bus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

He was cycling through.

A bus was in front of him and one of the BE staff stopped him as the barrier was lowered and advised him that 'he might hit an elderly or disabled person when cycling'

So what is he supposed to do if he is just after getting off the commuter train from Athenry, has unlocked his own bike where he left it at the station - (like hundreds of thousands of other bike/rail commuters accross europe) - and is now trying to get to work?

So what is he supposed to do if he is just after getting off the commuter train from Athenry, has unlocked his own bike where he left it at the station - (like hundreds of thousands of other bike/rail commuters accross europe) - and is now trying to get to work?

Walk 40 meters with the bike! Seriously, it's not hard :rolleyes: There's a lot of footfall there, better to have no vehicles or bikes trying to circumvent people for safety reasons.

Also in this case, the cyclist was cycling through i.e taking a shortcut from fairgreen direction. The redesign was partially to stop through traffic and that includes bikes. Pedestrians get preference in the newly designed station which is a welcome change

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Walk 40 meters with the bike! Seriously, it's not hard :rolleyes: There's a lot of footfall there, better to have no vehicles or bikes trying to circumvent people for safety reasons.

Also in this case, the cyclist was cycling through i.e taking a shortcut from fairgreen direction. The redesign was partially to stop through traffic and that includes bikes. Pedestrians get preference in the newly designed station which is a welcome change

Not a viable option or answer. The station is also the terminus of the railway line path which is the natural cycling route into the city from Renmore (at least during daylight).

It was even specified in at least one City Development Plan for development as a cycling route. Despite this CIE were allowed to significantly reduce the width of the path some years back.

If anyone expects this to change then they are living in a personal fantasy world of their own creation. You might as well set up a little throne for yourself down at the seashore and sit there ordering the tide to stay out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Why dont they ever put a plastic shelter over the bike parking in Ireland? People are leaving their bikes there all day, 6-8 hours in the rain can destroy a bike especially close to the sea and cycling in road salt in winter.

The barrier at Eyre Square side lifts for any vechicle exiting. Be that bus, car or bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

They are 'digging a hole' at the Great Southern exit at the moment.
    I presume it's something important that needs to be finished before they open up in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

D Trent wrote: »

Looks fairly generic going by that.

Advertisement