Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womans face slashed on OCS

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Maysa07 wrote: »
    100% agree. I was in O'Connell street a few weeks back with my wife and 6 yo.We where heading for Clerys but was closed so decided to walk up towards parnell street. We then saw one guy resisting arrest shouting all sorts of names at two female garda trying to put handcuffs on him while the rest of his scumbags mate looked on. It wasn't a pleasant experience for my daughter to witness. Can't help but feel on edge when in that area, Dublin City is a kip.

Did anything else happen to you? Were you injured or hurt or did you come to the conclusion that Dublin is a kip because you saw an arrest? Would you prefer it if the person wasn't arrested? I saw a violent arrest in Paris that involved spitting blood and a serious headbut. That doesn't make Paris a kip in my eye! Did you do anything else in Dublin with your six year old? So many cool things to do in the city for that age group...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Dean0088 wrote: »
    This isn't Oliver Twist. The guys snatching bags/phones, the guys begging and the guys dealing - are all hooked on heroin. The petty crime is done as a way to fund their addiction and is a vicious cycle.

I get the 122 a fair few time a week outside the Londis on O'Connell Street -("The Cheapest Off-Licence in Dublin") just at the junction with Abbey Street. I'd say at least once a week I see some kind of deal being done in a little huddle. It's plain as day. And that's just me barely paying attention any more. I'm sure if I stood in place for an hour and really watched I'd see all kinds.

When garda start arriving onto the street in the luminous jackets they all shuffle over O'Connell street bridge to D'Olier street and hang around the FAS office there.

May god help you if your pull out a bit of change for the bus. They'll be all over you like a flock of pigeons. "Can I have a euro mate?" ... "Any spare change buddy?" :rolleyes: :mad:

Oddly enough Garda use of the most recent Anti-Begging legislation was having a significant impact upon this carry on,succeeding in virtually eliminating ATM related panhandling and the targetting of females and/or elderly.

However in true Irish style,somebody managed to find two entreprenurial beggars to mount a Legal Challenge which was successful in having the Law declared Unconstitutional...and thus we reverted to the old Irish Favorite...The Status Quo.

Mind you,reading Mattjacks post raises the question as to WHO is paying for all this "treatment"...
    Originally Posted by mattjack

Are Copenhagen and Vancouver outsourced ?
    you cant force people into rehab , what you could do though is look at the way we provide our services.

Ireland is one of the few western world countries that treats addiction and mental ill health as separate issues , most countries operate an integrated approach which I think you mean by "under the one roof",

However from start to finish for an addict to get completely clean takes quite a period of time starting with first getting onto a clinic , then stabilising , then reaching the target of between 30 to 40 mls of methadone no mean feat in itself.
    From there an assessment , then offer of a bed and depending on the detox anything up to 17 weeks , after that two years minimum aftercare.
    Achieving all this without a slip, illness,housing or legal issues is quite difficult.
    Im not sure you could outsource this if you in mind private treatment comes in at about 10 grand I think for a six week treatment.

We also fail miserably in our methadone provision , Ireland is comfortable stabilising people on methadone and leaving it at that without a thought regarding a detox off it.We have in and around 24000 people on heroin,stabilised on methadone and then the few trying to detox.
    Our state likes methadone , its a relatively cheap way of managing a problem , albeit poorly.

Im being a bit disingenious here ... I work in these types of services.

Perhaps,if these service users were given only the First Course for FREE,and then have a contribution deducted from their Welfare Payments for any subsequent treatments,it might concentrate whatever is left of their mind ?

As it currently stands it looks like the "usual suspects" (The Contributing Class) are expected to both fund this (often long-running) rehabilitation process,whilst simultaneously being preyed upon to supplement it with cash in (The Beggars) hand as well ?

From my daily interaction with many of the OC St regulars,I know only too well what a "Game" it's all become...each element just going through the motions,with no real issue until cash gets tight and debts mount up.....then it gets dangerous (for everybody else !) :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Oddly enough Garda use of the most recent Anti-Begging legislation was having a significant impact upon this carry on,succeeding in virtually eliminating ATM related panhandling and the targetting of females and/or elderly.

However in true Irish style,somebody managed to find two entreprenurial beggars to mount a Legal Challenge which was successful in having the Law declared Unconstitutional...and thus we reverted to the old Irish Favorite...The Status Quo.

Mind you,reading Mattjacks post raises the question as to WHO is paying for all this "treatment"...

Perhaps,if these service users were given only the First Course for FREE,and then have a contribution deducted from their Welfare Payments for any subsequent treatments,it might concentrate whatever is left of their mind ?

As it currently stands it looks like the "usual suspects" (The Contributing Class) are expected to both fund this (often long-running) rehabilitation process,whilst simultaneously being preyed upon to supplement it with cash in (The Beggars) hand as well ?

From my daily interaction with many of the OC St regulars,I know only too well what a "Game" it's all become...each element just going through the motions,with no real issue until cash gets tight and debts mount up.....then it gets dangerous (for everybody else !) :mad:

Hi Alek , as it stands at the moment you are expected to contribute 60% of your welfare payment if manage to access residential treatment along the lines of St Francis Farm , Cuin Maire or PMVs Lantern.

60% of 188 euros over a 14 week residential course in say MQIs High Park is not a lot of money so the state and donations are actually picking up the shortfall.

My comment was in relation to outsourcing towards private treatment in the sense of who funds it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

oh no that poor girl. so young too.hope she makes speedy recovery

Advertisement