Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over reacting crèche staff behaviour

Options
  • 11-11-2013 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

I wanted to send my son to local community crèche 1 or 2 days a week but now I'm wondering whether this is the best place. Would like some opinions on what others think of this kind of behaviour.
    Was at local toddler group and one of the crèche workers was there with her child. She was talking about work and saying how on Friday one of the other staff members had made lovely pancakes and brought it lots of nice toppings and fillings for them, how they were delicious etc. Then she says all the kids were jealous as they were stuck eating their pasta while the staff had pancakes, her words were "not fair but ah well they were delicious" laughing and joking about it.
    I thought this was so cruel to sit and eat something like this infront of the kids but not allow them to have any. Now obviously you need to take into account allergies etc but still think it's quite cruel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

I think you are overreacting for sure. Kids will get on with eating their own food and depending on their age might not even know what that pancake is.

It doesn't sound like any thing to worry about at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I think you are overreacting for sure. Kids will get on with eating their own food and depending on their age might not even know what that pancake is.

It doesn't sound like any thing to worry about at all.

Ditto. Plus, how many pancakes were there? Maybe they only had enough for the staff. Maybe other parents would be annoyed that the creche were giving the kids pancakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

No she said the kids were asking could they have some and "some got upset but sure what can you do"
    The staff can eat whatever they like but I just think that if you are going to eat something like that you shouldn't do it in front of the children unless your willing to share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Overreacting. The staff have to eat their meals normally every day as it is... My child has allergies and I would be LIVID if they gave her something without my permission.

Yeah I see what you all mean. I guess I see pancakes and lovely toppings as a nice treat a and that's why I thought it was mean to eat in front of them. Also just think her attitude and the way she talked about the kids wanting some but not giving them any wasn't nice.

Pwurple how does it work with allergies? Do you and the crèche go through what will be given for foods and drink every day or week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I have never witnessed staff eating in front of the children in the creche my son attends, they have a staff room and can eat their 'treats' in there, very mean to eat in front of the kids and have the kids asking for some...... bad manners on the part of the creche workers in my opinion, kids naturally want to taste what others are having especially if it looks like a treat. And then to gloat about it, bad form.

See that's what I thought would happen that staff would eat separately to the children especially treats
    I can't even look at the reports as there is none online for my county

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

Regarding the food allergies etc, when you enroll your child, you will fill out a form and list any special dietary requirements, the chef is then informed, my son has a lactose intolerance so they monitor that, even though we are not strict on it anymore because he appears to be growing out of it.
    Absolutely can't understand what they were doing eating in front of the kids in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

sari wrote: »
    Pwurple how does it work with allergies? Do you and the crèche go through what will be given for foods and drink every day or week?

I provide the food and drinks. She brings in a lunchbox everyday in her 'schoolbag'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I don't really agree with the staff openly eating treats in front of the kids but they can not share them either due to health and safety regulations.

We would be very unimpressed by that behaviour from our staff but at the same time if there was a staff shortage they may have had to eat with the kdis and that is what they had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

sari wrote: »
    her words were "not fair but ah well they were delicious" laughing and joking about it.
    I thought this was so cruel to sit and eat something like this infront of the kids but not allow them to have any. Now obviously you need to take into account allergies etc but still think it's quite cruel

Rather immature for supposedly responsible staff to behave like this,in my opinion.
    Also, to talk about it afterwards too- a bit stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I think it is wrong and nasty.
    As others said children want to eat what adults eat and to taunt them like that seems mean. I'd hate to think the staff in my daughters crèche were Insensitive enough to behave as coldly as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

My son goes to creche twice a week, he doesnt have any allergies, so I dont mind them giving him treats. What would upset me is if they ate treats infront of him, not give him any and see him upset as a result of this.
    I do understand that if there were other kids with allergies they couldnt give the treat to one child and not to another - but then they shouldnt eat in front of them. and then to laugh about it to someone afterwards? Very cruel imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

While I can see both sides of the coin it's the attitude of the woman that would annoy me. She doesn't sound like the type of woman I'd want minding my little one if she's find the children being upset or frustrated amusing.

Glad some agree, I just hate the thought of my son being treated like that. I also think if she had no problem talking and laughing about it in a group of mothers what her and other staffs attitudes would have been like to the kids. To be so open like that with some people she didn't know, imagine what they would have been like in the company of just their colleges and crèche

Also I don't know which room she works in or age group but the kids were old enough to ask for some.
    I will have to think about whether to send him there, I'll defenetly be staying there with him first few times if I do and also mention what I heard to the manager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

As someone who runs a childcare facility. I find this shocking and very bad from.

Advertisement