Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No period (Neg Preg Test x 2)

Options
  • 11-11-2013 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I am a month late and I have done two pregnancy tests which resulted in two negatives. The tests I did were cheap brands, I don't know if that makes a difference. My periods are very erratic anyway and has been known to turn up on day 49 but now I'm up to day 62 (as soon as I post this I'll probably get it!). I am having very faint cramps today and over the last few weeks I've had one or two days of faint cramps. I don't have any other symptoms that would lead me to believe I am pregnant. I'm also 41 so it would be amazing if I was. No menopause symptoms either. I am not stressed, far from it. I don't drink a lot of liquids during the day and I am quite slim.

What other reason could there be for no period?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Try a clear blue digital first thing in the morning to rule out pregnancy, I did lots of cheapies and the line was bearly visible but I was pregnant and it showed up right away on clear blue.

If it's negative, see your gp about missed periods, there's plenty of reasons why you could be missing a period!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Oleander

The line came up straight away on these cheap tests - it wasn't faint or anything. If I was pregnant, wouldn't I have more symptoms though?

I know my health is important but I don't have to dosh to go to the doc so I was hoping for some answers on Boards. Hence the cheap brands also as Clearblue are expensive. I hope it's not a thyroid problem either as I've read elsewhere, I'm a healthy person or so I thought I was!

I'll wait another week or so and invest in a Clearblue Test - are they the most expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Oleander wrote: »
    The line came up straight away on these cheap tests - it wasn't faint or anything. If I was pregnant, wouldn't I have more symptoms though?

I know my health is important but I don't have to dosh to go to the doc so I was hoping for some answers on Boards. Hence the cheap brands also as Clearblue are expensive. I hope it's not a thyroid problem either as I've read elsewhere, I'm a healthy person or so I thought I was!

I'll wait another week or so and invest in a Clearblue Test - are they the most expensive?

Yes because they're the best. They are cheaper in tesco.
    When I first found out I was pregnant, my only symptom was pains that felt like period pains

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

At this stage even a cheapo test would be fairly accurate. If you tend to have erratic cycles then just because it has never been this late doesn't mean it can't be now. My cycle has ranged from 28 to 65 days. Usually when it was 50+ it was due to a fluid filled cyst (I.e nothing serious).

But only a doctor can tell for sure. Instead of spending more money on a clear blue just go to the doctor. No one on boards can give you medical advice and there could be numerous reasons for your late period ranging from nothing to something more serious. Chances are it isn't serious but only a doctor will be able to tell you that.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Oleander wrote: »
    I am a month late and I have done two pregnancy tests which resulted in two negatives. The tests I did were cheap brands, I don't know if that makes a difference. My periods are very erratic anyway and has been known to turn up on day 49 but now I'm up to day 62 (as soon as I post this I'll probably get it!). I am having very faint cramps today and over the last few weeks I've had one or two days of faint cramps. I don't have any other symptoms that would lead me to believe I am pregnant. I'm also 41 so it would be amazing if I was. No menopause symptoms either. I am not stressed, far from it. I don't drink a lot of liquids during the day and I am quite slim.

What other reason could there be for no period?

Get your prolactin levels checked (blood test at gp), that can be one reason for no period, easily remedied though if it is that.

• Advertisement

javagal wrote: »
    Yes because they're the best. They are cheaper in tesco.
    When I first found out I was pregnant, my only symptom was pains that felt like period pains

Yes but I'm just about to turn 41 - the chances are slim. You know what, if it happens then I'll be delighted but if not then so be it. I have wonderful nieces and nephews and have kind of accepted not having kids in this lifetime.

Thanks for the advice though.

At this stage even a cheapo test would be fairly accurate. If you tend to have erratic cycles then just because it has never been this late doesn't mean it can't be now. My cycle has ranged from 28 to 65 days. Usually when it was 50+ it was due to a fluid filled cyst (I.e nothing serious).

But only a doctor can tell for sure. Instead of spending more money on a clear blue just go to the doctor. No one on boards can give you medical advice and there could be numerous reasons for your late period ranging from nothing to something more serious. Chances are it isn't serious but only a doctor will be able to tell you that.

You're right. I'll wait another week or so and decide what to do then. Grateful for the advice.

Advertisement