Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing with couple - how to split the rent

Options
  • 11-11-2013 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All

I'm moving into a 2 bed apartment with a couple. They are both double rooms, their room is slightly bigger and is ensuite, but I will have the other bathroom pretty much to myself. So I'm wondering what is a fair split of the rent? I'm think I pay 40% and they pay 60%. Is this right or fair?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

gambler12 wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm moving into a 2 bed apartment with a couple. They are both double rooms, their room is slightly bigger and is ensuite, but I will have the other bathroom pretty much to myself. So I'm wondering what is a fair split of the rent? I'm think I pay 40% and they pay 60%. Is this right or fair?

The question I'd be asking myself is do I *really* want to share with a couple?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

There was a large thread about this not so long ago; it would be worth going back and looking for it because there was some good advice in there.

If they have a bigger room and its en suite then Id nearly be inclined to let them pay more than 40/60 tbh. Ultimately its still going to be three people sharing the house, as a couple its entirely possible they will command a greater say in the TV etc, and you are never going to have exclusive use of the bathroom (guests etc will always use your bathroom whereas theirs will always be private).

Others may disagree, but I dont think 33/67 is unfair tbh.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    The question I'd be asking myself is do I *really* want to share with a couple?

I know I certainly wouldnt. Depends on the couple though I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

3 people split it 3 ways....simples...but i wouldnt share with a couple with all of us as rentees

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gambler12

yea i've no problem sharing with them. I know them well and we will get along fine so no problems there. I'm just wondering what a fair split of the rent would be. I know they will pay more than me, but exactly how much I'm not sure....

• Advertisement

yea i've no problem sharing with them. I know them well and we will get along fine so no problems there. I'm just wondering what a fair split of the rent would be. I know they will pay more than me, but exactly how much I'm not sure....

You might get on fine with them as friends, but what are they going to be like to live with? Some couples will very quickly start to see you as the third wheel so to speak; they will dominate the living room, want to have alone time etc (meaning you may be expected to leave for an evening) and very soon you will start to feel like an intruder in their private lives.

Obviously not all couples are like this, but honestly you would want to know what they are like very well before agreeing to this!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

3 people, divide by three. It's the only way to avoid arguments.

You could tell them that you'd be equally happy to share with them if they weren't a couple, or alternatively that your open to the idea of discussing the option of a three way relationship. In the interests of fairness, of course... ;)

Seriously though, you're three people entering a rental agreement. Two of them shouldn't pay less, just because they happen to come as a package. Likewise, you should be expected to pay a larger individual proportion just because you're not romantically involved with either of the other two.

Also make sure that they are very clear that bills are all split three ways. The amount of couples who seem to think that they are one entity and bills should be halved just because they share a room...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I get somewhat worried when a couple doesn't want you to leave for an evening.......

Rentwise, maybe 40/60 due to a room each but bills are a 3 way split because they affect common areas

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

Rent should be by the room Imo. 40/60 sounds fair as they have the bigger ensuite room.

All bills split 3 ways.

The problem arises here if you get yourself a partner who stays over with you often. A 33/67 split then may cause a lot of friction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gambler12

Thanks for the advice guys. Seems to be different opinions on how it should be divided. I guess there's no definitive answer to this. As far as the bills go, this will definitely be split 3 ways. That's a given as far as I'm concerned. Personally I still think 60/40 is the fairest way for the rent in this case...

If youre happy with 60/40 then thats fair enough. Id see a slightly larger room with an en suite as being worth more than that, but ultimatley its about finding a compromize that you are both happy with and that allows for a harmonious living environment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Thanks for the advice guys. Seems to be different opinions on how it should be divided. I guess there's no definitive answer to this. As far as the bills go, this will definitely be split 3 ways. That's a given as far as I'm concerned. Personally I still think 60/40 is the fairest way for the rent in this case...

Yea I think I would agree that the rent shouldn't be split equally. Basically if there were 2 single beds in the other room which was a twin share and u had a double room then they wouldn't be expected to split the rent 3 ways... As it would be a room share... So I don't see why they would do this just because they are a couple. You should definitely be paying less tho... I think you have it about right at 40/60.

On second thoughts tho i Can also see what djimi is saying about them having a larger room with ensuite however.... Ensuite rooms are always more expensive than double rooms... Usually you could add on at least €50 per month for an ensuite room!... And that would only be with one person staying in it.... So with them being a couple you should be paying even less again taking the ensuite into consideration...

Perhaps your 40/60 suggestion minus another €50 for you for them having the larger room and ensuite.... Just a suggestion...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Don't share with a couple!

Advertisement