Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phillips Hue light blubs

• 11-11-2013 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

Do the Phillips Hue light blubs work in Ireland. I ask this because they don't come in a bayonet option. Do our light blub sockets have the bayonet connector or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

You would need an adapter for the normal ceiling roses used here, the bayonet type B22.
    The Philips Hue are indeed Edison Screw type E27. Something like 3 of http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003GSK5O4 will do the trick.

Some lamps etc would be E27, many of mine are, but the most common here is defiantly B22.

Once you have the adapter they will work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

brav wrote: »
    You would need an adapter for the normal ceiling roses used here, the bayonet type B22.
    The Philips Hue are indeed Edison Screw type E27. Something like 3 of http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003GSK5O4 will do the trick.

Some lamps etc would be E27, many of mine are, but the most common here is defiantly B22.

Once you have the adapter they will work fine.

So I just screw an E27 to B27 adapter onto the hues and away I go?

Yes pretty much, either push and twist in the adapter to the socket you have already and then screw in the Hue bulbs, or else screw the Hue bulbs in to the adaptor and push and twist the bulb in to the socket.

I have used the above adapter for a few E27 bulbs, worked no problem.

Only downside is the adaptors do stick a bit further down, but I do not notice them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Are these as good as they look ? Would you need several in a room to make an impact or does just one pack a punch?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Apple Devices forum?

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    Apple Devices forum?

Well they were originally just sold on Apple.com, promoted for use with iPhones.

Even the new strip lights or whatever in the Hue range are just sold on Apple.com
    Are these as good as they look ? Would you need several in a room to make an impact or does just one pack a punch?

They are expensive but do look very good. One bulb is bright enough, there are kind of 2 modes, either light like a normal bulb, and it is quiet bright maybe equiv to 100W but it has been a long time since I used incandescent bulbs. The second 'mode' is RGB light, these would not be as bright but still quiet strong.

The need for more than one in a room can depend if you want to set a 'scene', having different coloured lights to set a mood etc.

The app to control the bulbs is not that great, relies too heavily on scenes etc, but there is also IFTTT integration and it is not too difficult to create your own Applescripts etc, and lots more apps available.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

I am really interested in these, as I have a wemo switch and have lights in my room on a IFTTT recipe to turn on in the mornings.

My issues: Cost, The need for adapters... and I want to start off with my bedroom, of which just one light could use an E25 bulb, the others are spotlights. I would like a light strip also.

Its a pity you cant buy a bridge with other bulbs. The starter set is a bit restrictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

kaerobe wrote: »
    I am really interested in these, as I have a wemo switch and have lights in my room on a IFTTT recipe to turn on in the mornings.

My issues: Cost, The need for adapters... and I want to start off with my bedroom, of which just one light could use an E25 bulb, the others are spotlights. I would like a light strip also.

Its a pity you cant buy a bridge with other bulbs. The starter set is a bit restrictive.

There's a new 2 metre light strip available. It's expensive though at €90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

whiterebel wrote: »
    Apple Devices forum?

Have ya not heard of the iBulb....errrr...^ I hear ya

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Brian017 wrote: »
    There's a new 2 metre light strip available. It's expensive though at €90

They have some strange marketing ideas for the light strip. In the video they suggest it as lighting for under your couch!
    At 90 quid I hope no one is that mad. My dust bunnies will be kept in the dark anyway.

• Advertisement

Anyone tried one of these from amazon? It isn't integrated with iphone or apple at all but it has a remote controll and its only 20 quid. The reviews are pretty decent .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Auraglow-Remote-Controlled-Colour-Changing/dp/B003TXM53K/ref=pd_cp_light_1

Super bright version here :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/AURAGLOW-Remote-Control-Changing-Version/dp/B00CRHQ99A/ref=sr_1_1?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1384294351&sr=1-1&keywords=B00CRHQ99A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

PS they're called bulbs, not blubs...

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

Got the lightstrips delivered today. For the price they are not that amazing. 2mtrs is pretty short and the brightness is similar to the ikea diodes they replaced.

It does however add to the effect of having a hue set up. They dont seem to be compatible with some of the default scenes and there is no switch to turn it off, can only toggle with the app.

Using the lightbow app which allows me to integrate with my wemo lights. very handy.

Advertisement