Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annie Sloan - To wax or not to wax

• 11-11-2013 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭

Just completed my first Annie Sloan project and I love it. I love how easy the paint is to use and the chalk effect. However, as it's a kitchen dresser I feel I should wax it. If I wax it will it lose the lovely matte effect ? I don't want it to look uneven or mottled. Any advice would be much appreciated

I am nervous about applying wax, I've looked at a few tutorials online and I'm afraid I will undo all my hard work. I don't want a distressed or uneven finish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭toothie

I'm no expert but I did an Annie Sloan workshop at the weekend. The lady giving the course advised us to clear wax every piece to protect it. It stays matt and won't make the piece look distressed unless you give it a sand after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks Toothie, I suppose I will have to give it a try. Have you used the AS wax, is it really light ?
    I would love to do a workshop, must add it to my list of things to do. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭toothie

The wax is lovely and light. Use the clear one. It takes a few weeks for it to dry completely but once you are careful with the piece, it will be fine in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 gecko81

Hi

I don't know if this thread is even still alive but I was searching for waxing annie sloan paint and up it popped.

Like that, I have just upcycled some hideous mahogany laminate effect built in wardrobes and they look incredible. I couldnt be happier with them and really can't believe I was considering buying new doors and side panels when Annie Sloan sorted it out for 27.95 :)

But now I really don't want to wax them in case I loose the lovely matt finish. I painted a small table before and waxed it and really it didnt look the same after. The colour was slightly darker and the colour was uneven after waxing, so I'm wondering if anybody has taken the risk and just NOT waxed. If so, how did they last?

Thanks and hope somebody picks up on this old thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Try using a clear matt vernish when the chalk paint is completely dry.
    With wax or varnish you'll always notice a slight darkening of the colour but it shouldn't look uneven unless the original paint wasn't fully dry.

To get a very thin layer of varnish, try rubbing it on with a lint-free cloth instead of using a brush to apply it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement