Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstalling Windows 8.1 when no media?

• 11-11-2013 4:58pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick one, I have a Dell XPS pc with Windows 8 – which I recently downloaded the 8.1 upgrade.

I just bought an SSD so want to do a clean install – my pc did not come with any media. I think I can use some sort of Dell backup utility to make me a USB key to boot from – is that the best thing to do – or am I better off finding an oem iso on the web and installing using my serial? I just want to make sure it’s the most up to date clean and stable install – or is there any difference?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,692 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

run prompt,

recoverydrive.exe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

I have a 8.1 clean install iso on google drive if you want. You just need your 25 digit key to install. And a google account...

You can use the usb download tool to create a bootable usb installer. 3.1gb it think

It was downloaded directly from Microsoft.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

cgarrad wrote: »
    I have a 8.1 clean install iso on google drive if you want. You just need your 25 digit key to install. And a google account...

You can use the usb download tool to create a bootable usb installer. 3.1gb it think

It was downloaded directly from Microsoft.

8.1 install media won't take an 8 product key unfortunately.. You would need to use recoverydrive.exe to make a backup & restore the OS or else clean install Windows 8 and do all the updates, store upgrade to 8.1

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

You are dead right, use this KMS key:

GCRJD-8NW9H-F2CDX-CCM8D-9D6T9

from

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx

then activate with you key from within windows.

Totally forgot ;-)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Nice one thanks for that guys.

Quick question, so I'm installing on a new SSD I just bought - and I'll be using my current 2tb hard drive as my Data drive. However currently Windows is installed on that along with my data. So when I put this drive back in, will it get confused with two OS's at the same time? How can I clean up the other drive to delete windows and just have my files on there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

You ever get this sorted? I'm going to be installing Windows 8.1 on my new computer in my SSD and plan to reuse my 2TB drive from my current one in there too. What way did you do it?

I'm going to be using my (non OEM) copy of Win7 that I'm currently using on this computer which had been upgraded to 8.1.

Can I reinstall Win8.1 without media since I only have the Win 7 disc? Can I use the cd-key associated with my current install of 8.1 (which is actually different from my original Win7 cd-key I entered)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I did but I have a lot of problems, some due to the USB drive I think. I ended up downloading a different iso from online but cannot activate it, so not sure what I'll do. Either find the right one and reinstall or find an activator

Advertisement