Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***MatchThread*** 12th Nov 19:15 WES2 Cork exiles

• 11-11-2013 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

no txt sent around but im assuming this is still on?
    As jules pointed out last week we cant let what happened to us last season happen again!!
    Ed -
    Cathal -
    Craig -
    Keith -
    Derek McD -
    Paddy -
    SteMcD -
    Ciaran -
    Collie -
    Darren -
    Luke C- (centre mid)
    Dave -
    Jules -
    Luke D -
    Wes -
    Ste K -
    Derek McL -
    Kingsley -

Comments

In

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

sorry, been busy over the weekend and then today in work.

Texts sent anyway.

This is always a tough match

Ed - in
    Cathal - in
    Craig - in
    Damo - in
    Keith - work
    Derek McD - inj
    Paddy - in
    SteMcD - in
    Ciaran - in
    Darren - work
    Luke C- in
    Dave - away
    Jules - in
    Luke D -
    Ste K - in
    Derek McL - in
    Kingsley - in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

anybody going from the Sandyford industrial estate (stillorgan luas area stop) area around 6.50/6.55?

Yeah I can pick you up Ed, do you have my number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

is collie not playing anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Sorry guys, its a combination of quarter end and the missus being sick, just can't get out for this one.

Best of luck this is always a tough fixture but as Jules said heads up learn from last week, supply the forwards into feet more so than balls over the top and play our game on the floor.

Best of luck.

kings has no cred tho told me to tell yis he will be there for this.

mrDerek wrote: »
    is collie not playing anymore?

Collie plays/runs a grass team and they train on Tuesdays so his availability is fairly limited.

im sure he will be back at some stage soon, he loves playing for the team.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Best of luck lads, need 3 points tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Great to see Damien, a core member of the squad last season, returning from a nasty injury, timely too. Likewise good to have Derek back in action. Looking forward to this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

score ?

2-1 to Boards.

Great win was posting on the missus account.

Will be back for next week

who scored?

Most dramatic game I've been part of. Two sending offs, two penalties(1 they missed in the last minute) and we came back from 1-0 down. We were very quiet in the first half again but got going in the 2nd when we had to get a few goals back. Well done everyone! I have been very rusty the last 2 weeks after not playing any ball for nearly 3 months but hopefully that win will help confidence. Some great talking & battling done in the 2nd half, we showed character!

me and jules got the goals

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

me and jules got the goals

Now is that a real goal.. or one of those pretendy ones... :pac:

Nice win lads.. but lets keep perspective with a missed penalty in the last minute it could have easily been 1 point instead of 3

Now is that a real goal.. or one of those pretendy ones... :pac:

Nice win lads.. but lets keep perspective with a missed penalty in the last minute it could have easily been 1 point instead of 3

lol it was another **** goal steo got a shot off and i hipped it into the net

lol it was another **** goal steo got a shot off and i hipped it into the net

I suppose aslong as we score it doesnt matter to steals gets the credit :P

Onwards to next week and what looks like real tough game

Even better was 123 dropping points against brown bag. In a strong position now just need to push on and do the business in what looks to be a tough fixture next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Not a great performance but an excellent result and great to get right back to winning after last week.

We sat way too deep too often, led to big gap between midfield and attack. Pushing up does involve some risk but its what the manager has instructed us to do so we need to back ourselves that we will score more as a result of pushing forward than they will score due to us being left man for man at the back. That was shown to be true countless times last season so we need to accept the risk and push on to play to our strength,which is attacking football. Think we couldve killed this game off if we had gone for the jugular.

32 from 33 penos now, have Le Tissier's 48 from 49 in my sights!

great result, didnt create alot but we took the 2 chances that came our way. rode our luck a little in the last 10 minutes, but f*ck it, about time we got a break or two after getting none what so ever last week.

penalty decision was a joke, dont know how a ref can give a penalty in a crowded box that had 20 players in it, all going for the one ball from the corner. thankfully they missed it and we held on to a great 3 points.

really enjoyable game though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Super save near the end Ed. Matchwinner right there.

Even better was 123 dropping points against brown bag. In a strong position now just need to push on and do the business in what looks to be a tough fixture next week

Back on top again, the other 2 teams around us both lost. still though, this is a really competitive league and while its early days with only 1/3 of the season gone, it looks like we have 4 other teams to battle for the top spot.

going to be really tough league to win, there is f*ck all between the teams.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I didn't see where the first goal was coming from, but it was a penalty and really boards dominated the game after it.

In contrast to last week where boards were caught on the break defending the halfway line with half the team up the pitch (third goal especially), this week there was cover and the bodies there to keep them out. And other than set-pieces and two late one-on-ones, they created very little with Ciaran and Luke sitting in. If anything boards were looking more likely to score on the counter late on.

All in all, strong defensively, while attacking wise - Kingsley won the penalty, Jules scored the penalty Derek scored the winner and not much given away. Excellent stuff.

dfx- wrote: »
    And other than set-pieces

we spoke about this at half time, but it seemed to get worse. dont think ive ever seen a team give away so many free kicks, it must have been 10 alone in the second half and add in the 4 or 5 corners they got, they were bound to score from one of them. not sure that anybody could have done anything about the one they did score from though, the standard of the delievery was top class and it was so close to the box, sent in with so much pace that who ever got the touch on it (i thought it was an og at the front post) was always going to score.

defending set pieces is vital. we have the second best defense so far in the league but weve only conceded one of our 6 goals from open play- the rest have come from route one or set pieces.

We sat way too deep too often, led to big gap between midfield and attack. Pushing up does involve some risk but its what the manager has instructed us to do so we need to back ourselves that we will score more as a result of pushing forward than they will score due to us being left man for man at the back.

theres a few of ways to look at this - the first is that we were missing alot of players last night (keith, collie, darran, derek, dave) who all normally would be very attacking minded and would push us on, we then had 3 or 4 lads coming back from injuries who have missed the majority of the first 5 games. it takes time to readjust.

the fact that we gave away so much possession around half way and as i said, they must have had 15+ free kicks and set pieces, meant naturally we had to spend a bit more time than normal defending. if we can keep hold of the ball a bit better next week and stop giving away needless fouls, then it will help to push on.

we do however need to go all out defence ever time we concede a set piece - we defended them excellently last night apart from one and need to continue doing so, its vital for our success this season.

there is a balance to be found between playing high and sitting back though and its something i think we will get right. lets not forget, our winner came from their set piece. it was punched clear Kingsley picked up the break and took it forward and we all piled into the box to score from the pull back.

Advertisement