Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New contract or not? Also, is faster speed possible?

Options
  • 11-11-2013 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

A few months ago I received a letter informing me that my package had been changed from Next Generation Broadband regular to Broadband Advanced Unlimited.  There was no mention of this change having any effect on the duration of my contract and I'm just wondering if this change has meant that I've now been automatically tied into another 12 month contract or not.  If so, I think this is totally unfair (and even possibly illegal) as it was done without my prior knowledge or consent.  Could someone look into this for me please and confirm whether this name change on the package is just simply a name change and nothing more than that or if it has automatically resulted in me being tied into a new 12 month contract as well?  I found this thread (http://community.eircom.net/t5/Billing/Initiating-contracts-without-permission/td-p/47142) on the eircom website support forum which seems to be the same sort of boat I'm in and this guy had it confirmed to him that his contract had not been renewed and it was just a name change.  I'd appreciate clarification on the matter too.

Also, I received another letter a couple of weeks ago saying my speed had been increased from 8Mb to "up to 24Mb for free".  However, I haven't seen any change in the speed whatsover.  I reset the router and everything just in case it was needed but running various speedtests indicate that I'm still only getting the same speeds I was getting before (around 7 to 7.9Mb/s).  The router statistics are currently indicating the following: Speed 9213/668 (kbps) - Line Attenuation 41/22 dB.  Could you look into this for me and see if the line has been locked down to only be capable of providing this speed or if it's capable of anything faster?  I know I probably won't be able to to get near the 24Mb speed (line quality, distance from exchange, all those things, etc.) but I'd be curious to find out if the line is indeed capable of anything better at all and, if so, if it can be changed in some way to do so.  Thanks.

Regards,

Aidan Dunne.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi there,

A few months ago I received a letter informing me that my package had been changed from Next Generation Broadband regular to Broadband Advanced Unlimited.  There was no mention of this change having any effect on the duration of my contract and I'm just wondering if this change has meant that I've now been automatically tied into another 12 month contract or not.  If so, I think this is totally unfair (and even possibly illegal) as it was done without my prior knowledge or consent.  Could someone look into this for me please and confirm whether this name change on the package is just simply a name change and nothing more than that or if it has automatically resulted in me being tied into a new 12 month contract as well?  I found this thread (http://community.eircom.net/t5/Billing/Initiating-contracts-without-permission/td-p/47142) on the eircom website support forum which seems to be the same sort of boat I'm in and this guy had it confirmed to him that his contract had not been renewed and it was just a name change.  I'd appreciate clarification on the matter too.

Also, I received another letter a couple of weeks ago saying my speed had been increased from 8Mb to "up to 24Mb for free".  However, I haven't seen any change in the speed whatsover.  I reset the router and everything just in case it was needed but running various speedtests indicate that I'm still only getting the same speeds I was getting before (around 7 to 7.9Mb/s).  The router statistics are currently indicating the following: Speed 9213/668 (kbps) - Line Attenuation 41/22 dB.  Could you look into this for me and see if the line has been locked down to only be capable of providing this speed or if it's capable of anything faster?  I know I probably won't be able to to get near the 24Mb speed (line quality, distance from exchange, all those things, etc.) but I'd be curious to find out if the line is indeed capable of anything better at all and, if so, if it can be changed in some way to do so.  Thanks.

Regards,

Aidan Dunne.
    Hi aidan_dunne

Please PM me your landline number or account number and I'll look into these queries for you.

Thanks

Al

Advertisement