Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pet insurance

• 11-11-2013 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I use to have pet insurance for my dog but it stopped this year as i lost my job... my dog is 8.. will any insurance company give me a quote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

I use to have pet insurance for my dog but it stopped this year as i lost my job... my dog is 8.. will any insurance company give me a quote

I`m sure they will. My dog is ten and he`s insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They won't, unfortunately. There's an age cap on new policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

boomerang wrote: »
    They won't, unfortunately. There's an age cap on new policies.

What is the age cap? Does that mean that once an animal reaches a certain age, you are on your own? Dosent seem right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

123.ie will.

There is a special excess for animals over 8years though and if your pet has pre existing conditions you may have to consider if it is worth it. They will not obviously pay out for anything related to known pre-existing conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

logik wrote: »
    What is the age cap? Does that mean that once an animal reaches a certain age, you are on your own? Dosent seem right.

Allianz and Tesco Pet Insurance will only start a new policy up until the dog is 8years old. As Rips said, 123.ie will start over this, but there's also certain types of breed not covered:
    wrote:
    The following dogs are specifically excluded from cover under any section of this policy:

• Pit Bull Terrier
    • Japanese Tosa / Tosa Inus
    • Dogo Argentino (also referred to as Argentine Dogo and Argentinian Mastiff)
    • Fila Brasileiro
    Including any "type considered to match the description of a prohibited "type" and/or Ban Dog (as stated in the Control of Dogs (Restriction of Certain Dogs) Regulations 1991); any breed crossed with the above; and any other breed or type deemed be dangerous from time to time.

In addition, the following types/breeds are also excluded from cover under any section of this policy:

• American Bandogge/Bandogge Mastiff
    • Staffordshire Bull Terriers
    • Canary Dogs/Perro De Pressa Canarios/Presa Canarios
    • Cane Corsos
    • Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs/Sarlooswolfhounds/ Wolf Hybrids
    • Korean Jindo
    • Northern Inuit Dogs
    • Racing Greyhounds
    • Shar Peis

The 123.ie accident only policy also has too many exclusions i.e. any illness, which is why I'd want it for an 8 year old dog. The premium policy is better but obviously a few hundred euro per year dearer.

Rips wrote: »
    They will not obviously pay out for anything related to known pre-existing conditions.
    Pretty much any policy won't cover pre existing conditions, so it's best to read all the fine print of all insurers and weigh up whether it's worth taking out a policy or just saving the money instead.

I'm with Allianz for my one year old cat @88/year with €100 excess and the only reason I have it is in case of a major surgical procedure.

• Advertisement

Good to know about 123.ie

Wonder if they won't insure retired (i.e. pet) racing greyhounds... I couldn't retrieve a quote online for Josie from Allianz but they sorted it out for me over the phone. They are so great to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

boomerang wrote: »
    Good to know about 123.ie

Wonder if they won't insure retired (i.e. pet) racing greyhounds... I couldn't retrieve a quote online for Josie from Allianz but they sorted it out for me over the phone. They are so great to deal with.

Totally agree Allianz are a dream to deal with :) 100% painless. I have to pay €100 plus 35% for my oldie girl but still worth it as she needs 2 different medicines every day so totally worth it. She has claimed much more than we have ever paid them! A few years a for 2 years in a row we reached the €4000 limit!!! And our policy only increased by €12 a year (I have 3 dogs on it!)

I'll stick to them in future. I think it's because they are such a big company, they have the staff and the staff have the training... Even when I was in a crash and they had to pay out on the other driver's insurance policy, they were a dream to deal with even then! :D

Advertisement