Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Trouble

Options
  • 11-11-2013 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some advice on my situation.
    Have a mortgage 900p/m & lost my job few months ago.
    Wife works in civil service & have 1 child.
    Starting to struggle with money & thinking we may miss mortgage payment.
    Should we go in and talk with AIB or what options are available to us?

Regards

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Yes absolutely.

You could also contact MABS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Yes. You need to work out what you can afford. You might be able to go on interest only.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

flynny50 wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for some advice on my situation.
    Have a mortgage 900p/m & lost my job few months ago.
    Wife works in civil service & have 1 child.
    Starting to struggle with money & thinking we may miss mortgage payment.
    Should we go in and talk with AIB or what options are available to us?

Regards

Definitley tell the bank. If you bury your head in the sand and don't engage it will make them think you're not interested in paying the mortgage at all. Advise them you might miss a few payments but hand them all your Social Welfare docs to prove you are awaiting your money and arrange a repayment plan and stick to it. Just be open and honest and make small, regular payments.(even 50 quid repayment every 2 weeks) Once you fully engage with the repayments it won't be a big deal to them at all.
    On the bright side, you get to spend more time with your child (and possibly save on childcare fees)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gussyfc

If you engage and keep paying even a portion of it then you are safe. Definitely engage with them but don't bow to pressure to sell if your house is worth more that you owe. They will want to clear the debt especially if you are on a tracker. There is very little they can do if you keep paying, especially if you can keep on top of the interest payments. Also there are some very good people that can help if you want to PM me after you talk to the bank.

Advertisement