Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Searching for person

• 11-11-2013 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello
    I am writing from Australia and wanting to trace Sylvestor Cavenagh 1770-1846 - I believe he changed his name from Kavenaugh but cannot trace anyone before him. He married Mary Sherwin.
    Hope someone can help me
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Can you provide any additional information Mary?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ann Davies

Mary Sherwin 1774 - may have previously been Mary Backhouse - and the only other information is Ireland
    Thank you

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

How do you know that his Dob and DoD are 1770 & 1846? The more we understand the work that has already been done the easier it is to trace.
    In saying that in order to go back further you'll need to be able to locate in which parish he was born.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

Hi, the following record looks promising: SYLVESTER CAVANAGH married MARY ANN BUCKHORN in St Peters, Dublin in 1824: see http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/6035660575378

Actually, scratch that -Mary's surname is not as close as I initially thought. did they marry in Australia, or Ireland?
    if you have not looked on Irishgenealogy.ie yet, it may be a good start.

Thank you for your information but it is not the Sylvester I am looking for and the married in Ireland.
    Sylvester C was born about 1770 in Wicklow, Ireland (?) and he married Mary Ann Sherwin in 1805.
    They had 5 children - Francis 1811, Catherine 1814, Theresa 1816, Eleanor 1817, Edward 1820.
    I have the family records to this time but cannot go back further than 1770 and Cavenagh has so many alternative spellings

• Advertisement

I have another family line to follow
    Jakob Friderich Weller, abt 1800 Stuttgart, Germany who married Maria Margaretha Boehm- b 1799 Bayern Germany
    Cannot find anything earlier than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

If you have documentation that gives you Wicklow as a place where he was born then I would focus on that county.

Try to think like a local historian, as well as a genealogist.

Use Griffith's Valuation, the Tithe books and the irishgenealogy.ie website to try and map pockets of where Kavanagh's (and various spellings) lived.
    Go through those clusters one by one and look for examples of first names you have found in your early Australian ancestors, Sylvestor etc..

Learn what is at the Local/heritage/genealogy/history dept at the Wicklow county library and any county archives.
    Find out what historical societies there are and their publications.

A long shot, but if he was born abt 1770 then he might have fled to, or was sent to, Australia due to the 1798 rebellion. Study that rebellion in Wicklow to see if anything of interest comes up.

Thank you for your information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

To be honest, I think you will find it difficult to go further back in Irish records, there are not that many around.

To get that far back, 1770, is really an excellent piece of work.

IMHO, your best bet might be to try posting on some of the genealogy message boards. ; you might just find someone else researching the same family, especially if there were brothers and sisters with descendants.

I have my own website and am sometimes contacted by others researching the same name and this way I have also found distant cousins.

Thank you
    I do know his sister married and came to Australia but evidence shows the rest o the family stayed in Ireland unless the brother James went to the US. I will keep putting out feelers. Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 hasta

Ann Davies wrote: »
    Mary Sherwin 1774 - may have previously been Mary Backhouse - and the only other information is Ireland
    Thank you

Where did you get the information on the name BACKHOUSE ?

The marriage Mollymoo19 linked to in 1824 is also listed in 'Original Wills, of the Diocese of Dublin 1272-1858' and gives the brides name as Mary Anne BACKHOUSE and not BUCKHORN as transcribed.

I have another query relating to Edward Flight Davies b 1838 London? d 1922 Australia
    His father was David David a London solicitor and married Elizabeth Campbell.
    Can anyone add anything else to this please

Advertisement