Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi cat household litter trays

• 11-11-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I was just looking for some advise, I have 3 cats who are all mostly indoors, only going out for a few hours during the day. When they are out they do their business, but will usually need to go again during the night. I know the whole one tray per cat plus one extra, which we have, but my problem is Dude will go in all of them and the other 2 won't use them after him! Even if Peach or Cream go in one first, Dude has no problem going in and using it after them. Once they smell his pee in there they won't go again! Does anyone know how to try and 'designate' cats to a litter tray? Peach and Cream will share no bother, it's just the little fella causing the problems, it's gotten to the stage where they are going on the floor by the bin or in their toy box!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Welcome to my world :D Buffy uses all of them, but Holly, who is the one I posted about previously regarding weeing in inappropriate places, won't go near a tray where Buffy has been, especially when it's a poo. We've got one tray that we move about depending on where Holly decides is 'the' place to sleep at the moment, but Buffy seems to seek it out and poo in it just to spite her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Ahh, the age old problem. We have 1 upstairs that was for Poppy when she arrived, another huge 1 under the table that Toby and Felix were using, but since Poppy started using the 1 under the table Toby won't use it. Ironically he used hers one day last month, it's so much smaller than his that as I watched him squat in the tray, the pee went on the carpet:eek:

We got a large corner one for the kitchen today, hoping that Toby could have that one, but you've guessed it, Poppy went straight in for a wee. Poor Toby keeps digging up the bark chips in the garden in the pouring rain to go:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Well there is one foolproof way to fix it - not cheap though. Get a petsmart door for Peach and Cream, and put their litter boxes in the room which only they then can access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Or collar activated litter boxes. Just googled and saw these, great idea but sooooo expensive.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Or collar activated litter boxes. Just googled and saw these, great idea but sooooo expensive.

Gosh - really expensive for such a limited item....and such a random perspex box too ... imagine if there was splatter! :D

Microchip activated cat flaps on Zooplus from €80 though if your cats wear collars, you could get one that works with a magnet for much cheaper.

Install it in a door/window or custom made box. Much cheaper then replacing your carpets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Wow expensive!! Luckily the floors are tiled/ wooden so it's no problem to clean up, but I can't see my parents letting me install any more cat flaps than the one we have to let them in/out!! Would be a perfect solution though!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

A tad pricey alright. Check out these bad boys though. Not such a hefty price tag and it might indeed eliminate the ' i couldn't possibly go now that the other cat has gone' attitude.
    http://www.littermaid.com/Products/Litter-Boxes.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I used to have my cats litter box in a flat pack wooden blanket box from argos/woddies with one end open/wood not put in - you could possibly get one of them and put a flap in?

tk123 wrote: »
    I used to have my cats litter box in a flat pack wooden blanket box from argos/woddies with one end open/wood not put in - you could possibly get one of them and put a flap in?

Yes, I still think this could be the cheapest idea - if the microchip flaps are too pricey, the magnetic ones are about €30, and if your parents won't like you putting it in a door, put it on your own custom box. One big enough for the two girls to share (if they don't mind!)

Advertisement