Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 167 ST PIERRE VS HENDRICKS **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

As excited for this as much as Cain JDS 3 !

I know Big Rig can do it, but I don't think he will on the night, GSP will show once again who's the Master of MMA !

I hope so much that Robbie Lawlor flattens Rory McDonald. I'll actually do a dance.

Don't care about any other fight on this card tbh but so what it's GSP V Hendricks ya don't need anything else !

Evans v Sonnen is a good scrap hard to call. Fight doesn't matter much but it could be a war if Suga brings his balls with him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

That is a nice looking card

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Georgie by decision, A boring one at that.

Sonnen also, by decision, i don't think Rashad has the KO power anymore, Sonnen will get through the first round onslaught then throw him round for the remaining 2.

Can see Macdonald winning by a decision too, albeit a close one

Dunno if this is an upset but i think Woodley will KO koscheck early on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Great looking card. for the sake of a bet I need GSP and MacDonald winning!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

How the hell did Cerrone get relegated to the prelims in place of Ali Bagautinov vs. Timothy Elliott??

Hope Cerrone wins. Would love to see him make a good run for the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

How the hell did Cerrone get relegated to the prelims in place of Ali Bagautinov vs. Timothy Elliott??

Hope Cerrone wins. Would love to see him make a good run for the belt.

I presume it's to ensure the prelims end with a barn-burner and perhaps encourage people to buy the ppv.

yeah and It'll motivate The Cowboy to knock the sh1t out of Dunham

both their stocks have fallen recently should be a good scrap

I wonder how careful GSP is gona be.

Will GSP just circle, leg kick and jab the sh1t out of Johnny to avoid getting touched by that ridiculous left and then plant him on his back every time Johnny lunges in with punches?

If he does I wouldn't call that boring or chicken. Nobody can get hit by Johnny and stay upright and if anyone can neutralize that danger with a successful double leg it's gotta be GSP !

It's all about whether GSP can really hurt him once he's got him down and is working from top in half guard which he invariably gets to.

Johnny's only a mid level BJJ guy isn't he? He's not even brown belt is he? Can't see how he sweeps GSP who brings flawless powerful top control and Black Belt BJJ to the table. I can see GSP getting to side mount and dropping cutting elbows IF he brings Johnny down.

And therein lies the issue: Is it more likely GSP takes Johnny down THAN Johnny lunging in and catching GSP with that left? I'd say the odds are in GSP's favor and Greg Jackson would have told him that in no uncertain terms in their strategy sessions. It's all about using the tools you have to your greatest advantage and if that means taking Johnny down and trying to hurt him on the ground to avoid getting knocked out by the most vicious punch in welterweight history then are we really going to call GSP boring and chicken if he wins this way?

Big Rigs punch is a show stopper - strategy has to be much different against him than against anyone else, you can't afford to get hit once with that left !

900+ on the ould punchometer without much of a step, the man could knock out a Hippo !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvHg-Eox3iU

I'm a massive GSP fan so I personally hope he pulls off some perfect technique on the feet and catches Johnny and finishes him, which is possible given his all round ability but that's probably very wishful thinking so I'll be rooting for Georges to take him down at will and do his best to finish him on the ground with punches and elbows... or a sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

I'd like to see Rashad make a run for the 185 title. The guy mixes up his strikes and takedowns well and has really solid TDD. If Phil Davis can't get him down it's not unlikely that he'll be able to stuff Chael's td's. If he can I see him easily out striking Chael. Chael always proves me wrong though.

Woodley vs Kos will be a great fight I reckon. Both guys are happy to trade and everyone forgets that many people thought Kos got the better of Hendricks in the striking department.

Herman vs. Leites will be one to watch, could be a great fight standing and on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd expect Rashad to beat Chael if you match up their skills, they are close but I would guess Rashad is a batter boxer and wrestler. However I think Chael's in your face attitude and intensity will help him overwhelm Rashad as long as he doesn't get knocked out by a counter punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,851 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I think rashad is the better fighter but I think its possible
    chael might take this just for being the more agressive fighter
    I hope so anyway

rory mac pts I'd say
    I see the same type of fight as rory v jake here
    Could see lawlor trying to take the head off mac in
    the third after losing the first two

kos woodley could be a good one if it stays standing
    think kos will take him down myself or get ko'd if he
    stands with wood

suppose gsp pts again
    always has a masterplan so I'm thinking he probably
    wont get caught

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Best part of this fightcard;

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/11/12/ufc-167-weigh-ins-set-for-friday-in-las-vegas-gracie-coleman-severn-jimmerson-host-qa/

Might get to end of why jimmerson wore that one boxing glove :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

pauldoo wrote: »

Might get to end of why jimmerson wore that one boxing glove :D

Funny, but I was just reading why! :)

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videointerview/Gerard-Gordeau-Stories-from-UFC-1-5307

ha awww
    makin me wana download and watch the entire first UFC.... ha with that black Jung Fu guy Black Dragon whatshisname and little Keith Hackney doin Karate chops on a 600 lb Hawaiian Sumo dude...ya couldn't make it up it was actually real life 'Bloodsport'.
    anyone else here rent them from LASER on Georges St when it first opened?

I was doin TKD round the corner at the time and I went into kill some time at the bus stop and downstairs was a feckin sexy shelf full of UFC and KOTC stuff! My jaw just dropped lookin at the covers.. I said I gotta get me some of this sh1t right here... spent the next months gettin them to order more of them in.

Thank you LASER video shop!

If there's people here who genuinely haven't watched any of the first UFCs you really should give it a glance.. it's probably on youtube anyway. Royce Gracie 175 lbs in his BJJ Gi conga trainin-ing his way to the octagon with half his family hangin off him goin up against lads like Severn 250 lb and makin a mockery out of them. Every bit of untested traditional martial arts bullsh1t I had been through since I was 11 was suddenly set on fire, thrown into a skip and p1ssed upon !

Entire

UFC 1: The Beginning

http://vimeo.com/45287348

My Fav quote from one of the three commentators at 42:20

"They're eh just goin over the rules now...which eh there aren't any of "

• Registered Users Posts: 46 IKnowNowt

Guys, pretty sure I know the answer to this already, but is there anywhere in Dublin that shows UFC events (or at least this event)? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Just a quick question. Does anyone know how Irish Cody Donavon is?

Also looking forward to Couture, Tito and Shamrock brothers having a DX style invasion at this

great insight into a technique GSP uses a lot in his last 10 fights by Johnny

He says GSP uses his very extended jab in a way which specifically baits people to come back at him with an over-commited strike which leaves them open to a duck and double leg... and it's so true... Johnny explains that GSP leans 3 or 4 inches more than everyone else when he jumps forward with his jab but he doesn't follow up with a power right which makes his opponents instantly respond by coming back at him with their own lunging strike - then GSP just completely recoils his extra long jab right back to his base... meanwhile you're left in no mans land...so he just ducks under your strike and hits you with an explosive double... it's actually genius. I love how Johnny (or his team) has busted GSP on it! I haven't heard another fighter spot that tactic and break it down so perfectly before.

3:55 int this vid

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videointerview/Johny-Hendricks-GSP-Does-Not-Want-to-Stand-with-Me-5303

If I were Johnny I'd have kept that to myself and faked the straight left after one of GSP's jabs and driven a low knee into him as he shot in with a double...boom... 'and the NEW U F C Welterweight.....'

also talks about pretty much accepting that he will be taken down at some point, I like that too, he's not naiive or unrealistic (like Kos who was sure GSP couldn't)

Johnny knows exactly what he's dealing with. He just needs to drop that left hammer and he's champ ! He''s the best challenge to the crown that I've seen definitely. Condit was superb but Johnny is just far more dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Everyone seems to think Hendricks has to land that power left. I think hes a rubber ball and will deal with GSP's takedown game and get out of it. GSP is a legend but i think Hendricks can beat him at his own game. Hes a massive gamer and im sure he will win. As sure as you can be when your talking about beating GSP!.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'm a GSP fan but I can see an upset here. For some reason I'm always a bit nervous when GSP fights. Kinda the same feeling I get when Frankie Edgar fights.---I'm a fan of theirs, and they *should* win, but there's always something there that makes me doubt the outcome.
    I can see Hendricks getting the KO here if I'm honest. I don't think GSP has taken a monster bomb to the chin in a long while and Hendricks might be the one to ring his bell in this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

I've just watched the weigh ins and I'm now confident George will dismantle Hendricks.

Hendricks looked pale and skinny, his weight cut was not kind to him. Unless he knocks George out in the first 2 rounds then he won't win.

George by 4th round tko for me

#fingerscrossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

GSP by 5 round boring as hell grindfest decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just saw that Anthony Lapsley is on this card.

Let's hope his fight with Jason High is as exciting as his fight against Aaron Wetherspoon

• Registered Users Posts: 39,246 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

He says GSP uses his very extended jab in a way which specifically baits people to come back at him with an over-commited strike which leaves them open to a duck and double leg... and it's so true... Johnny explains that GSP leans 3 or 4 inches more than everyone else when he jumps forward with his jab but he doesn't follow up with a power right which makes his opponents instantly respond by coming back at him with their own lunging strike - then GSP just completely recoils his extra long jab right back to his base... meanwhile you're left in no mans land...so he just ducks under your strike and hits you with an explosive double... it's actually genius. I love how Johnny (or his team) has busted GSP on it! I haven't heard another fighter spot that tactic and break it down so perfectly before.

If I were Johnny I'd have kept that to myself and faked the straight left after one of GSP's jabs and driven a low knee into him as he shot in with a double...boom... 'and the NEW U F C Welterweight.....'
    I drilled that TD in sparring recently. Exactly as described. My coach specifically referred to it as GSP 101. So I don't think that set up was a secret. Hendricks might be the first person to talk about it publicly, but I'd assume that almost every previous opponent was aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,246 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

George St Pierre is an MMA marvel. He, paradoxically, makes the WW division both my favourite and least favourite division at the same time. My favourite because it's home to George St Pierre, who is in my opinion personifies what it means to be a mixed martial artist. He has mastered all aspects of the fight game, and he uses every skill possible to put on a phenomenal display every time. My least favourite because he is simply too good. He makes very good fighter look like journeymen. The skill gap is massive. Silva never looked unbeatable oisver 5 rounds, proof: Chael Sonnen. Jones doesn't either, case in point, Gustafsson. But I genuinely believe that, over 5 rounds, GSP is unbeatable. I don't believe anybody can dominate in 3 out of 5 round. I'd be surprised if all of his opponents, since he regained the title, had 3 rounds between them.
    Of course, that doesn't mean that he will never be beaten. Hughes submitted him, and Sera knocked him out. He is still human. His grappling has improved further still since the loss to Hughes, so I think that, right now, the only way to beat him is a knock out.
    For many people, Hendricks represents the only fighter with a chance of beating GSP. St. Pierre's dominance comes from the fact that he forces grappler's to stand and strike, and takes strikers down to the mat at will. Hendricks is a wrestler at heart of it all, however, he biggest offensive weapon of late has been his big overhand left. There's no question that he has the power to knock any welterweight out, GSP included. The only question is will he be able to connect on saturday night. The answer is my opinion is a firm no. Don't get me wrong he has some chance, probably the best chance anyone has ever had. But the odds reflect this, GSP is availible at his highest price in years, 2/5 with most bookies. And in my opinion the inflated worth of Henrdricks has brought value in on GSP.
    I expect he'll take Hendricks down when it matters and get the win on the judges' cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Gsp said it's going to be a great "Don't blink" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

dave1982 wrote: »
    Gsp said it's going to be a great "Don't blink" :eek:

Unless we blink for 25 straight minutes I think we'll be ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Unless we blink for 25 straight minutes I think we'll be ok

I think you call that falling asleep :pac:

Advertisement