Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 167 ST PIERRE VS HENDRICKS **SPOILERS**

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

gallag wrote: »
    Predictable and silly answers, gsp got mauled, sure I would also take that mauling for a few million but all that aside at the end of that fight on a pure health basis who would you rather be?

Dug yourself a hole there buddy, Hendricks knee is re-****ed now. And knee injuries are generally bast*rds.

No-one is denying GSP had the toughest time of it in a long time (compared to his other fights). Many agree that Hendricks did more significant damage in the fight (all joking about the knee aside...), but many would also say that GSP played and won the points game and that is what gave him the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

the fact GSP won this just goes to show what an intelligent fighter he is , he is truly the greatest pound for pound fighter in the world , end of , excellent fight . I just rewatched it for a fourth time , it gets better each time .

GSP FOREVER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Predictable and silly answers, gsp got mauled, sure I would also take that mauling for a few million but all that aside at the end of that fight on a pure health basis who would you rather be?

so aside from the fact that you admit you would have rather been gsp, which was your question.....right......!

you make complete sense.

sounds like you want every fight to be determined by taking a picture of each fighters face and have people on facebook like whichever one looks like they got more of a battering.

for god sake, yes gsp took more damage, an IDIOT can see that but you know what it was an mma fight with rules on judging and it turned out as a vety close fight, the fact is that both fighters had an equal chance to convince the judges and JD didnt do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Does anybody think it's ironic that the 20 year celebration of UFC was marred by talk of the way the judging of the sport has progressed or regressed as the case may be ?

Dana White is talking as if the UFC should go back to 1 round with no time limit , hey what bother with a weight division ? why wear gloves , why have rules ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

We'll get over it. Jones was busted up a lot more than Gus and he won his fight. There was a bit of uproar for a few days and then it dies down (admittedly it was a fight of less importance, less emotion etc but the point still stands I believe).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

figs666 wrote: »
    Does anybody think it's ironic that the 20 year celebration of UFC was marred by talk of the way the judging of the sport has progressed or regressed as the case may be ?

Dana White is talking as if the UFC should go back to 1 round with no time limit , hey what bother with a weight division ? why wear gloves , why have rules ?
    Yes, that was absolutely what Dana wanted. The over-reaction of some people to Dana's speech is f-ing ridiculous! He was annoyed at the result and more-so by what GSP had said. He said it without talking to Dana which is a problem. If you want to do something like that, talk to the f-ing President before you say anything! He calmed down in the scrum after

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Yes, that was absolutely what Dana wanted. The over-reaction of some people to Dana's speech is f-ing ridiculous! He was annoyed at the result and more-so by what GSP had said. He said it without talking to Dana which is a problem. If you want to do something like that, talk to the f-ing President before you say anything! He calmed down in the scrum after

Don't disagree that some people are over reacting to Dana in the press conference. He clearly went overboard though. He was more pissed than after the Silva Maia fight. He made it out to be the biggest robbery in UFC history, when in hindsight (for most people) the fight comes down to a very close first round. His voracious misrepresentation of this irked me for sure. He's not alone in this, but you would think the president of the UFC would understand the round by round scoring system.

He also hadn't talked to GSP, and the whole "he owes it to the UFC, fans, Hendricks" was disrespectful to a guy who had just gone through a war, had a microphone put in his face, and talked about emotional problems and not being able to sleep. Dana himself has admitting he went a little crazy, and as you say had calmed down after talking to GSP before the scrum. Much prefer Dana to the usual sporting figureheads btw. At least you get a sense of authenticity with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

here's one... If GSP is gone for 6 months say.. and I'm assuming he is for now

Who do they give Robbie Lawlor? Would Bigg Rig take the fight if offered? and risk losing that contender position? Or do they do Condit v Lawlor? winner gets shot at GSP/Johny rematch assuming that happens in 9 months in this scenario ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

I wanna see Condit vs Hendrix - Then GSP vs Condit. Condit is a class act. He deserves a rematch against both guys. Not sure he will ever be able to stop their take downs which kinda sucks.

Condit vs Lawlor or Hendrix vs Lawlor would be sweet sweet fights as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Dana White does his organisation no favours by bad mouthing the Nevada Athletic Commision the way he did. And he seriously disrespected George St. Pierre in some of the post fight interviews. Yes he obviously has his own opinion but there is such a thing as professionalism and respect for someone who helped put the organisation where it is now.

I only saw the fight tonight and George St Pierre definitely won. Its a game of points and he played it better. Excellent by boh fighter but GSP deserved the win more IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,246 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Diego v Gil is in my mind the moment the most heart was ever shown in the octagon. Never forget that, Diego in particular seeing as he was the lesser fighter/is the lesser fighter... never was so impressed in sport by a mans will to not give up than in that fight as rocky said
    Diego showed great resilience and an ability to press forward into danger. But I believe this was as much down punch drunk idiocy and a low fight IQ rather than to unbelievable heart.

I'm not saying he doesn't have heart, just that its not measurable, and trying to compare fighters on heart is utterly pointless.
    I think the ten point must system needs to go, I am a huge gsp fan but he did not win the fight, he got his as kicked. If you had to go through the exact same fight as gsp/jh who would you rather be?
    Everybody critises the 10 point system. Even in boxing, but its a bigger issue in MMA with less rounds.

But I've never seen anything remotely close to a valid replacement.
    lol, exaggerate much.
    Hendricks won, 3-2 imo, but calling it a mauling is over the top.

A 5 round mauling is Cain v JDS 2. Not last saturday night.
    figs666 wrote: »
    Who mentioned any of those things?
    Weight division = safety, gloves = safety, rules = safety.

1, 2 or 3 rounds isn't a matter of safety. Nor is the ridiculously subjective judging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

I think the issue here is that, in the rounds where GSP lost, he lost very heavily but the rounds he clearly won were far closer. The main point being that regardless of how close or not, he won more rounds than he lost.

We all love to see a balls to the wall, leave nothing in the cage war tht culminattes in a spectacular finiish but there is a system for scoring MMA fights and GSP knows this system better than anyone. In fairness the man has like 8 (I thiink) decision wins on the trot. Many people after rewatching this fight with their judging hat on would change their mind about the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think it's ironic that, considering he would've lost this fight had it not been fought under the 10 point must system, GSP was calling for there to be no rounds in the UFC just a while ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

From, Dave Meltzer:
    The UFC’s 20th anniversary show on 11/16 was a night that started out looking bad early, but finished strong, with what will be among the most talked-about fights in recent years as Georges St-Pierre retained his welterweight title winning a split decision over Johny Hendricks, a former two-time NCAA champion from Oklahoma State University.
    But even though he won, it was the night that one of the two greatest fighters in company history, clearly met his match. Hendricks dueled evenly with St-Pierre when it came to strength and wrestling. While he couldn’t match the champion’s technique, his superior power caused him to give the champion the worst beating of his career.
    When it was over, there was probably the most overblown controversy regarding the decision. Under the ten-point must system, unless there is a completely dominant round, and there was not in this fight, all rounds are being scored 10-9. St-Pierre clearly won rounds three and five. Hendricks won rounds two and four, and while he won those rounds bigger than St-Pierre won his, on every judges card, and virtually everyone who was scoring’s card, the four rounds negated each other, even though St-Pierre’s face looked like someone bashed it in with numerous shots with a baseball bat and Hendricks was mark free.
    When judging who should have gotten the decision, any arguments related to damage incurred in rounds two through five are irrelevant. In fact, everything that happened in those rounds is immaterial.
    On all three cards that counted, and most that didn’t, it came down to round one. By the stats, Hendricks landed 27 strikes and St-Pierre landed 26. However, St-Pierre landed 19 significant strikes to 18 for Hendricks. Hendricks had a 9-5 edge in shots to the head. St-Pierre had a 16-4 edge in shots to the body. Each had one takedown. The hardest strikes were from Hendricks, a series of elbows when St-Pierre went for a takedown. But St-Pierre was the aggressor, moving forward and landing cleaner shots from a distance. Advantage time was split evenly. From people who have watched the round over-and-over, the conclusion is usually that if you watch it on TV with the commentary on, most favor Hendricks. If you watch with the sound off, with the idea that Joe Rogan’s pushing Hendricks’ success made a difference, the majority felt St-Pierre won.
    When the decision was read, it was close enough that I, being there, thought it could go either way, although I did give St-Pierre round one. When the decision was read, I expected, no matter what, it to be booed. The crowd was certainly more for St-Pierre, but Hendricks had thousands of supporters. When Bruce Buffer paused after reading the 48-47 for Hendricks and then 48-47 St-Pierre cards, in dramatic fashion, said 48-47, paused for a while, and said the winner...... “and still,” and the place exploded. All cheers. Virtually no boos.
    Then things got weird. Joe Rogan was interviewing St-Pierre, and when it appeared the interview was over, St-Pierre went to grab the mic. Rogan went to pull away, but then came back. During the week, St-Pierre had teased he would make a big announcement, win or lose, after the fight. There had been rumors he was going to retire, which he denied, noting he had just purchased a new Octagon for the Tristar Gym in Montreal, and asked why would he make such an expensive purchase if he was retiring. Still, Kristof Midoux, a former fighter who was St-Pierre’s original trainer, was brought back in camp for this fight, and he, and not Greg Jackson, directed him from the corner. It lent more thoughts that St-Pierre had decided to go out the way he started. And Midoux made no bones about the fact he wanted it to be St-Pierre’s last fight.

Advertisement