Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 167 ST PIERRE VS HENDRICKS **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

it was 2 rounds apiece going into the fifth and GSP won the last round ,it was a very close fight but it was no robbery,

Hendrix champ in Rematch!

Most people gave Hendricks the first, second and fourth. A quick glance at the play by play of the varying websites would back that up.

Look at the damage on both fighters at the end, doesn't tell the whole story but Hendricks wasn't hurt once in that fight whereas GSP looks like he stuck his face in a blender.

It's the biggest robbery I can remember when you consider the stakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

Just seen press conference, Christ his face is a mess! 70%???!!! Wouldn't like to see it if he gave 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Stuxnet wrote: »

he doesnt half speak out of his arse at times.

I think he could show GSP a wee bit more respect than he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Tough fight to call but I gave it to Hendricks... Just about. Enjoyed that main event. Really gave GSP a good fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

My jaw literally dropped when they announced GSP the winner. He wasn't. He had two rounds and as close as the second round was, I gave it to Johny.
    Poor lad - I'd bet against him but I was actually gutted for him. He won the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cagefan

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2013/11/st-pierre-vs-hendricks-official-ufc.html

Fight metric have it for Hendrix too. Im watching it with sound off at the moment and has slightly different complexion. Still close either way.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Close? Are you kidding, GSP got annihilated.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I just finished watching it now.
    I have to say, I thought Hendricks won too. He clearly did more damage than GSP did and he should have the belt now.
    The one thing I will say is that you can't base it on the state of GSP's face. He gets busted up easy enough.

It may have been a closer fight than everyone thinks, but on the first watching, the wrong decision was made.
    I'll watch it again later with the sound off and I'll score the fight myself to see how close it actually was.

There was some great fights on the card though.
    Really enjoyed Woodleys KO of Koscheck. That was about as sweet a KO as you can get.

Also thought the Lawlor v McDonald fight was awesome. I always liked Lawlor and I'm delighted for him.

Really impressive, dominant win from Rashad too. I hope he gets a title shot again soon before it's too late for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Just finished watching myself, defo thought Hendricks won, GSP did too judging by his muted reaction at the final bell.

Delighted ruthless got the win, I have an intense dislike for McDonald for some reason.

did anyone else notice how in shape rashad looked . He was much more ripped then he usually looked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

GSP's corner told him (in French) at the end of the 3rd that he was down 2 rounds to 1. Hendricks clearly won the 4th after that anyway while GSP probably edged the 5th.

Thought it was a pretty clear 3-2 to Hendricks personally. It was a bad decision alright but there have been far worse ones in the past unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

did anyone think GSP was smaller than usually , at the diaz fight he looked to have a much bigger core

The judges all said Hendricks won round 2 and 4 and that GSP won 3 and 5 , the decision was down to round 1 , I rewatched the round 1 and gsp won that round , he was definitely the aggressor but in fairness , Hendricks done more damage .

GSP looked off form tonight , he was saying he has trouble sleeping . who knows whats going on in his life ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

I saw GSP win that fight, not by that much but he looked like he definitely won it. Granted I was nearly half way through a bottle of whiskey ...but....He just looked in more control, more skilful, crisper and with more gas, his get-ups and take downs and head kicks and lead hooks all seemed to win it for me. He just looked the better fighter.
    except that
    that feckin fight metric says I'm totally wrong lol which leaves me slightly confused and afraid... I don't trust myself anymore I may need to take some time off and hang up my eyes for a while to personally reflect what exactly constitutes winning in the UFC any more coz I certainly don't fookin know. It's just so much better when there's a finish.

What I cannot understand is how people saw a clear Hendricks win. I don't get that at all unless we're going to literally base fights on how many cuts are on the other guys forehead. Johnny is one tough MF though that is for sure and certain.

GSP did not seem mentally well in that Rogan interview he definitely needs to step back for 6 months (with little or no hard training) and get his head better before he commits to another camp.

If and when he fights Johnny again he'll completely out class him now that he knows what he's all about. Johnny is one of those fighters that cannot possibly change his style, ever, so GSP will come in next time and school him and make him look average. I genuinely believe that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 TheRingslayer

I had GSP winning 1,3 and 5.

Great victory for The Last Samurai, he is a true warrior and he took Henrick's fists like they were pillows grazing him. I hope he retires now with his legacy intact and takes care of the issues in his personal life and starts a family, settles down and enjoys the rest of his days. He could make a great career as a coach at Tristar and maybe a few action flicks with Stallone and the boys.

A true gentleman, one of the all time greats.

Best UFC record ever. Best WW ever and one of the best ever. Defeated every man he has ever faced. Extremely professional. A true champ.

I wiped a tear from my eye last night as he said to Rogan last night - "The honour was mine"

A true class act.

https://vine.co/v/htX0mM00TJQ

Raised a smile. Bonner...lol

A true gentleman, one of the all time greats.

100% agree

but just go check out fightmetrics and question your own sanity for the laugh : )

After last nights win - GSP's heart, warrior spirit, his relentless focus, unquestionable class and professionalism puts him on par with Silva for greatest ever UFC Champion in my book and on par with Silva and Fedor for P4P G.O.A.T.
    I'm 100% sure Jones will reach that level but for now, it's GSP, Fedor and Silva all equal in greatness and for different reasons. GSP's heart is as great as Silva's striking. Two more wins and I reckon he sits on top of everyone ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 TheRingslayer

I'd prefer to see him retire now. He has achieved everything in the sport and doesn't owe anybody anything. Disgusted to see Dana shitting on him last night.

There is a lot of young dangerous killers coming for that crown.

He is already on overtime as the champ.

Seems like he has some issues, and it seemed like he wanted to retire last night but didn't want to commit to it.

I'd guess a family member is ill. He only returned last November from an 18 month hiatus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Does anybody have a link to the full post presser? Can only find highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Only one thing that can be done here.

Hendricks v Gustafsson!

Do ya know what.... I think you're right he should retire ... fook it whats the point in pushing the boat out it proves nothing. He's done it all he's earned the right to make that call and he should have committed to it last night the more I think about it. Part of me would love to see him fight again sure but if I step back and think about what he's done and for how long and his age and the fact he's never going to get better than he is now and will only slip and get hurt and take beatings eventually as everybody does than yeah... he should hang it up.. he's earned it. Let the haters hate and the debates about boring this and that go on and on, they will anyway, no matter what he ever does so yeah you're right GSP should retire and I hope he has! He's done enough. And I hope whatever issue is haunting him at the moment resolves itself coz I've never seen anything other than an absolute gentleman in GSP. Takes bravery to retire now. There's always another fight people want you to fight and in this case yes we all want a resolution to Johnny Hendricks v GSP but lets' be honest about one thing here - GSP is a far greater fighter than Hendricks will ever be there's no way anyone believes otherwise. If Johnny takes the title nobody thinks he'll hold on to it for years no way he's hit and miss, literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Close fight. Initial reaction was that Big Rig won. He did more damage and looked more dominant handling GSP in the clinch, defending his TDs like noone has ever done before, and scoring with good hooks as they engaged + knees to the thighs. He had Georges wobbled badly at one point but didn't capitalise.

However, those were the "big" moments in the fight. For the rest of the time, St. Pierre was scoring with jabs, octagon control, aggression and was always moving forward. He looked for submissions on the ground, albeit late in the rounds.

I was expecting to hear a unanimous 48-47 for Johny, and I sympathise with him and his team. The antics from White and Hendricks in the post-fight presser were unnecessary IMO, Gustafsson handled his loss to Jones much better.

GSP sounds like he has schizophrenia, should really think about retiring, he won't be able to hold off the likes of Hendricks, Condit and Woodley for long.

GSP sounds like he has schizophrenia,

I'm sorry, what??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I dont think it was a robbery at all. Close fight yes and JH defo did more damage but he went quiet in a few rounds and of course couldnt finish so i think its his own fault.

Gsp did look off as well. Much slower than usual.

100% agree

but just go check out fightmetrics and question your own sanity for the laugh : )

After last nights win - GSP's heart, warrior spirit, his relentless focus, unquestionable class and professionalism puts him on par with Silva for greatest ever UFC Champion in my book and on par with Silva and Fedor for P4P G.O.A.T.
    I'm 100% sure Jones will reach that level but for now, it's GSP, Fedor and Silva all equal in greatness and for different reasons. GSP's heart is as great as Silva's striking. Two more wins and I reckon he sits on top of everyone ever.

I mean, GSP will be in that discussion regardless, but using a fight 99% thought he lost is hardly a good argument or the thing that puts him over the top.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

Rick story was awesome last night,

Whats GSP's personal problems rumoured to be?or is it an excuse for poor performance.

fair enough
    but 'I' think he won that fight last night, not by much but definitely won it, so I put it down as an important win and not as a lucky decision so it goes in his win column just like the other W's which for me, makes it 9 top drawer challengers in his last 12 straight wins.
    It would be great to see it totally resolved and to see him beat Big Rig again but more convincingly but a win is a win is a win and to me he didn't get a lucky decision - he won the fight allbeit by an identifiably small margin. If I'm being totally honest the fight was there for Big Rig to win at two particular moments in the fight but he couldn't do it, couldn't get it done, hadn't got it for 5 rounds at the same pace as GSP, hadn't got the same poise, same control same cerebral edge - and certainly not the total skill set GSP has. Big Rig was more powerful that's for damn sure but his stand up apart from his big punch is weak and limited. His movement is predictable and his fence wrestling did not count for anything because he never capitalized on it. Georges used skill verses brawn to avoid getting knocked out by pushing the action and successfully circling left and 'mostly' not letting Johnny take two steps forward at him fishing with that hook very very similarly to Hendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I'm sorry, what??

"I can't sleep at night", "I hear voices in my head", "I'm crazy", "I blink for a second and two hours have passed, aliens kidnapped me"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,566 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

"I lost a little bit of mammary" - he thinks he used to be a chick

"I can't sleep at night", "I hear voices in my head", "I'm crazy", "I blink for a second and two hours have passed, aliens kidnapped me"

I didn't know what you meant by that comment!

I remember hearing him talk about the time passing thing on the Joe Rogan podcast. He denied that he thought it was aliens though. He said he doesn't know what it is but wants to find out.

The other stuff could be all down to pressure to perform and to live up to his name as champ.
    I wouldn't jump straight to schizophrenia though. He's a little eccentric I'd say.

But if he has personal problems and the job is affecting him negatively then he should definitely take a step back and sort himself out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What a fight. Absolutely brilliant.

TBH, I had GSP winning it taking round 2, 3 and 5.

Advertisement