Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 167 ST PIERRE VS HENDRICKS **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

should do a poll to see how many thought GSP lost

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Some difference between the two at the post fight press conference.

UFC2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

The guy has mental problems. He takes it hard all the pressure, he is scared ****less of losing and that's why he fights so safely. I hope he comes back and beat Hendricks more convincingly or he will break. He is still young enough to fight as well as he ever can.

George cuts easily, and visible damage does not tell the tale of a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

there have been far worse decisions that that
    I was slightly swayed when rogan said hendricks corner
    were celebrating like they won it

I couldn't call it but thought with it being that close they
    would give it to gsp
    round one was very close, maybe just jh but only just
    think they shared the other 4

How white gave gsp round 3 only is a joke
    he clearly won the last round

respect to gsp though
    I honestly didn't think he could take that
    many bombs from johnny and survive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Watched an interview with Dana earlier where he said Hendricks sort of backed off and started wrestling after landing those big shots in round 2, instead of going for the kill.

I remembered thinking the same thing when I watched it, will have to have another look.

Overall, despite having backed Hendricks, on a first watch I thought GSP did enough to edge it. Marginal on round 1, but he took 3 and 5. Hendricks won 2 and 4 by a larger margin than any of GSPs rounds, I agree with the poster who pointed that out earlier.

Any reasons why they couldn't introduce scoring to reflect this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

^exactly, just because JD kicked gsps ass in 2 rounds doesnt mean he won the fight. Ironically gsp is against having rounds in fights.

Plus JH also tapped in the first round ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Nobody seems to be commenting on how weak GSP's wrestling was. I know jonnie is a class wrestler but GSP has always disposed of good wrestlers in the past. It felt like he had no belief in himself. He mentally wasn't fit for this fight. I think a lot of questions will be answered in the coming days as to his reason to retire and it'll explain his lack lustre performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Don't think the main event was in any way a robbery. As with the Gustaffson - Jones fight there was one round that seemed to settle the affair and in this instance it was the first. I scored it similar to the judges scorecard visible here and this again shows that rounds 2 and 4 belonged to Hendricks, rounds 3 and 5 belonged to GSP and round one was the clincher. If annyone is interested I gave the first round to Hendricks but on a rewatch I actually gave it to GSP. As for his personal issue, I think it is just that and should be left so.

I think Chael might rethink a move to MW. Rashad was just far too powerful for him.

Don't know what happened to MacDonald but I'm pretty happy about it. Two or three times he successfully got the takedown and did nothing with it. Was he fatigued/injured or did he just freeze under the pressure? Either way Lawler is comeback story of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

adamski8 wrote: »
    ^exactly, just because JD kicked gsps ass in 2 rounds doesnt mean he won the fight. Ironically gsp is against having rounds in fights.

Plus JH also tapped in the first round ;)

He did?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

Great fight. Think Hendricks did enough to win the first round, but not by much, so can't get behind the robbery nonsense that seems to be the initial reaction for a lot of people. Dana's outrage after was ridiculous. The fight clearly hangs on who won the first, because i think most people scored 2,3,4 and 5 JH, GSP, JH, GSP (3 and 4 being the most clear cut of those rounds). The fightmetric on the first is pretty razor thin. Just watched it again, and i gave the round to Johnny, but it was definitely a close one.

The post fight interview was pretty interesting. GSP had said in interviews this week that he would be announcing something after the fight. Did not expect that to be it though.

Dana's scrum after was pretty interesting. Had calmed down a bit, and seems sure GSP will be back from talking to him after the press conference. His issues aren't fight related apparently

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZmlZ4Vlwcg

Ps Their respective faces post fight do not make a blind bit of difference when judging a fight on a round to round basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gumbi wrote: »
    He did?

No he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

nza4z.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I noticed the "tap" during the fight and immediately thought it was legit. I watched it over again a few times though and don't think it was a tap as he does it just as GSP is releasing his neck. It could have very easily been seen as a tap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Its hard not to blame Dana for being so sceptical about bringing fights to Nevada.

Pacquiao got screwed, Floyd was nearly screwed. They have the worst ref in mma in Winslow refereeing on a regular basis in shows and they also use the second worst ref in mma in Mazzagatti refereeing on a basis too and not once have they questioned their actions. Despite the outcry that both receive. This is the same commission who have refused to give the most experienced referee in Big John a licence to referee, despite him being one of the best in the business.Their is also regular controversy with their judging in both boxing and mma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Watched round one a good few times and I give it to Hendrix all day long.

Whilst my initial reaction was that Hendrix was robbed, after watching it back it was alot closer than I originally thought. Saying that, I still feel Hendrix won the fight and I feel sorry for him.

As some above have already said - whats the story with Rory Mcdonald? He is much better than what he has showed the last 2 fights.

Delighted for Cowboy last night, he was up for it again, one of my fav guys to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

No he didn't.

It certainly looked like he did. I had to rewind the first time i watched it defo looked like he did.

Meant to say - Think GSP was lucky in the 2nd when MArio split them for a good few seconds after Hendrix lost his gum shield, GSP was in big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

billy2012 wrote: »
    Watched round one a good few times and I give it to Hendrix all day long.

I watched it without sound and gave it to GSP , he was definitely the aggressor . granted big rig done damage with elbows on the side of his head , but I would give first round to GSP

figs666 wrote: »
    I watched it without sound and gave it to GSP , he was definitely the aggressor . granted big rig done damage with elbows on the side of his head , but I would give first round to GSP

I just don't see how you could give it to GSP.

judging is subjective , he was the aggressor in the first round . Big Rig done a great job countering him but Gsp had him in a guillotine and it looked like a reflex tap from Big rig , I thought it was all over , it looked deep .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

figs666 wrote: »

I thought those elbows were gonna be the end of it. Reminded me of McGregor v O'Keefe a while back. They were damaging elbows and I dunno how GSP stayed standing.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I thought those elbows were gonna be the end of it. Reminded me of McGregor v O'Keefe a while back. They were damaging elbows and I dunno how GSP stayed standing.

true ............ that's why he's the champ

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I think people will calm down and in a few days this decision won't be seen any more controversial than Jones vs Gus, as people were in uproar about that one too.

To me, the bigger story is how poorly GSP was treated by Dana White in the press conference. Not a good way to pay back your biggest PPV star ever, absolutely ******ng on him when he wasn't there, just because he has serious personal issues, which you can see from a mile away. Next thing you know, Dana will be slandering GSP the same way he's doing with Tito now, just such a horrible attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Great GSP fight I think that's my 1st time enjoying a GSP fight, GSP probably the luckiest fella in the world, Johnny had him rocked at one stage then he he just stopped going for the kill another time GSP was hurt and ref paused the fight for the gum shield then Johnny had top position and doing damage and he let him up then the decision goes his way.

I sometimes prefer fighters who get their ass kicked during a fight and survive that's what GSP done tonight.

Delighted with Robbie lawler like him asking for Hendrick V lawler

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 I_am_a_Steamer

TXRNEbq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

This thread is a relief. All my friends that are casual fans made out like it was the worst decision of All time. I gave it to hendricks but wasn't surprised at the decision. It's good to see that others understand the decision, even if they don't agree with it.

I think people need to complain about the 10 point must system if they have a problem.

I really dislike Dana. GSP obvious has problems in his life. Dana owes a lot more to George's than the other way round. Treat him with respect and let him take some time off if he wants. He's completely furious because he wants to sign a rematch and because of whatever Georges is going through its not going to happen.

I've been slightly curious of Georges since he was on the Rogan podcast. He seemed quite strange, especially when he was hinting that he had an encounter with aliens. I think there's a lot more to him than we see. Regardless, the guy is a gentleman and a fantastic competitor. If last night was the last time he competes I hope nothing about the fight and Dana's rambling does anything to damage his legacy. He deserves to be remembered as one of the best men to ever compete in the sport, some will argue the best ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Mazzagatti had a good game that night it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Having initially thought it was a robbery, the more I think about it the more I can see how a judge could've given it to GSP.

I really must watch it again.I remember scoring it the same as the one judge who gave it to Hendricks. It was all down to Round 1, which I gave to Big Rig.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

Anyone who thought it was a "robbery" doesn't know how the scoring system works. It doesn't matter how they looked at the end. GSP won rounds 3 and 5. Hendrix 2 and 4. And if it all came down to Rd1, which was a close round - how is that possibly defined a "robbery"? A robbery would be if it was clearly 4 rds to 1, or 5 rds to 1 - not 1 close round being the decider.

Hendrix's corner gave him very bad advice going into Rd 5, saying he'd already won, so he coasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Hendrix's corner gave him very bad advice going into Rd 5, saying he'd already won, so he coasted.

Yeah he didn't do a tap in rd5 and gsp wasnt capable of much so if he went into that like he was behind or level he surely would have gotten the nod. Hes my favorite fighter but for that i have little sympathy.
    I also didnt like the way he was hand touching coming into every new round, i cant stand that.

Advertisement