Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 167 ST PIERRE VS HENDRICKS **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

It's definitely not the biggest robbery in MMA history. Jones/Gustaffson was worse IMO and that wasn't the worst.

I had Hendricks winning rounds 1&4 and GSP taking rounds 3&5. After the 2nd round I turned to my housemate and said that was a very close round, could have gone either way but the champ probably got it (only for the fact he's champ and that seems to be the way shít works with these judges).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I didn't hear the advice going into Round 5 but if they told him he was ahead then that's terrible. They should still be telling him to go out and finish Georges. Let's be honest, I don't think Georges was going to finish him. So he should'v went out there and left no doubt in the judges' mind. Go out strong, win the round and win the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Only one thing for it. In future Nevada state commission corner men only:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Anyone konw what Hendricks was saying to ref at 3:05 of the 5th round? Gsp was on top and JH was telling the ref something?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Lads, I have absolutely no idea what you guys are on about at all! I had GSP losing 4-1. A tight 1st round and a tight 5th, but I gave them (as did most of the lads we were watching it with) to Big Rig. We were shocked at it being split first, never mind that Johnny lost. For anyone here who doesn't think it was a shocking decision I'd go and see if Dana has ever reacted like that before. The answer would be no, and that's telling in itself.

You can try and make excuses and try to seem like you can understand how you can see where the judges came to their decision but really there is no denying it lads, GSP got beat up for 3 and half round and did f-all to Johnny. Big Rig looked in control at pretty much all times (Apart from the first two minutes and a pretty decent 3rd round by GSP) he was bossing GSP around the ring, stuffing a few of GSPs take-downs. Like I understand that you can be lucky in the 10 point+ scoring system, but you can't be that lucky. Daylight robbery, pure and simple.

Also, if you genuinely think Jones and Gustafsson was more of a robbery than that you are clearly wrong. Gustfasson had a great first two rounds, a tight 3rd and then got beaten well in the next 2 rounds. Also, it was a way more even fight than Big Rig smashing on GSP for 5 rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    see if Dana has ever reacted like that before. The answer would be no, and that's telling in itself.

Dana was in a bad mood because of something that happened during the TUF filming a few hours before (Penn/Edgar season) that required his immediate attention, but he wasn't able to go & sort it because he was at the show (I heard Mark Coleman was given permission by Dana to sort the situation as he saw fit - hes a wrestling coach on this season). So Dana was actually more pissed because of that, and this just made him worse.

Just a bit of context there as to Dana's mood.

This was not a robbery. I'm a huge GSP fan, and I had Hendrix taking a close Rd 1 - but it could have gone either way.

Also - from Dave Meltzer:
    In the deciding first round (since almost everyone had rounds two and four for Hendricks and three and five for GSP), Hendricks landed 27 strikes to 26 for GSP, but GSP landed 19 significant strikes to 18 for Hendricks. Each had one takedown. Overall significant strikes stats were 101 for GSP and 85 for Hendricks, but overall Hendricks landed 142 strikes to 125 for GSP. GSP had 3 takedowns to 2 for Hendricks based on Fightmetric stats. Fightmetric gave the deciding round one to Hendricks.

So it was close, and not a robbery by any means. The fight is not judged as a whole, or based on "overall" damage. Anyone crying robbery needs to look at how the 10-point must system is scored; that's the flaw here, not the judging.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cagefan

GSP landed more significant strikes, took him down more. Hendrix landed the better shots. He may have controlled the clinch but apart from one or two occasions didnt do much with it.

I think the 10 point system puts the fight closer than it actually was - but within the context of the 10 point system it was a really close fight.

I think Hendrix could have won the fight if he upped his output and or played the point game but he didn't. I think if you score the fight on damage and aggression he won it.

Octagon control - GSP and Hendrix stuffed the same % of takedowns, Hendrix initiated the clinch more successfully but did nothing with it while GSP controlled the range with jabs and kicks.

No way is this a clear cut loss for GSP it was a close fight. I think Joe Rogan influenced a lot of peoples opinions with his commentary and the damage on GSP's face was also misleading.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    For anyone here who doesn't think it was a shocking decision I'd go and see if Dana has ever reacted like that before. The answer would be no, and that's telling in itself.

Dana White's opinion is no more or less valid than any of ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Interesting that the judges that gave the victory to GSP, which caused Hendricks to lose and Dana to be out outraged against Nevada. Are the judges the UFC takes to International events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

My take on the gumshield incident seems to be different to everyone else. GSP had established a solid clinch and would have that time to recover anyway. Being seperated and restarted would have been more in Hendricks favour if anything. Not that I'm complaining - it was the right call by the ref.

• Advertisement

Surprised this hasn't been talked about much

johny-hendricks-ufc-167-tap.gif?w=640

I noticed this during the fight and thought it was over...

I've seen it talked about on other sites.

Don't see how anyone can call it a tap tbh. he was no longer even in a submission when he "tapped".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Missed this over the weekend,what fights are worth watching from the main card?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Dana reckons that nothing will change with Georges and that the "problem" is not as bad as he thought. Hopefully we see a rematch between the two if GSP really is alright. I think Johny would prefer having a rematch, even if he loses, than leaving it like that. If Georges does want to forfeit his belt than Lawler vs. Hendricks would be perfect and a good match up for Lawler IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

MrStuffins wrote: »

Don't see how anyone can call it a tap tbh. he was no longer even in a submission when he "tapped".

It was dug in for longer than the gif runs for I think. I never saw this, tbh, it looks like a fake tap or something, I'm not sure? Either way the fight went on.

It's mad, I hope Georges can get over all the controversy, it wasn't honestly too controversial a decision if you took the fight round by round. The toss up was the first round, and they split 2 for 2 in the others IMO. As an overall you could perhaps say Hendricks won, but like I said, round for round I think Georges took it. More a problem with scoring system than the judging if anything.

Sher, Jones was bust up A LOT more than Gus and he won via decision too (albeit less controversially - but of course part of that is because so many more people are emotionally attached to Georges as the champion such that the outcry was much more).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Lawlor is not good enough to be UFC Welterweight champion. He is awesome though and he made me very happy by beating that arrogant sh1t on Saturday night.

Dana showed how fukin mean and greedy he is by sh1ttin all over GSP after the fight with the comments he made showing no sympathy for his most successful ppv earner who was clearly struggling mentally. Classless fuker. 'He owes it to this company'... are you ****tin me Dana?? MF has earned Dana tens of millions in personal wealth in last 6 years.

Dana is officially off my christmas card list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Lawlor is not good enough to be UFC Welterweight champion. He is awesome though and he made me very happy by beating that arrogant sh1t on Saturday night.

Dana showed how fukin mean and greedy he is by sh1ttin all over GSP after the fight with the comments he made showing no sympathy for his most successful ppv earner who was clearly struggling mentally. Classless fuker. 'He owes it to this company'... are you ****tin me Dana?? MF has earned Dana tens of millions in personal wealth in last 6 years.

Dana is officially off my christmas card list.

Lol. Sh*t just got real :D

Yeah, I don't buy that stuff either, he doesn't owe anybody anything. He fought and won those fights, he put the effort in... I'm not into the whole "he owes it to the fans either". Sure, someone may like the fans, it may motivate them, but first and foremost everyone does it for themselves because that's how life is.

I do hope he fights again, though, and puts the neighsayers to rest.

'...“Georges St-Pierre is our biggest pay-per-view star,” White said recently. The numbers back it up. UFC 158 in March where GSP pummeled Nick Diaz, racked up the sport’s biggest PPV numbers in three years with 950,000 buys. The ten other UFC events in 2013 averaged 350,000 buys, according to MMAPayout.com. With the HD version of UFC 167 costing $55, the addition of GSP can mean more than $30 million in PPV revenue compared to a non-GSP event. GSP also means a bigger gate, as well as added sponsorship revenue....'

GSP owes nothing to Dana. Dana owes GSP some respect.

of approx 300 million (5-6 million buys) they did in ppv in the 12 months since GSP returned he has earned UFC (Dana is 10% owner) about 100 million of that. UFC pays pittance, Dana gets rich and he couldn't give a monkeys about GSP's health. He's a human leech and a BS artist.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2013/11/16/how-georges-st-pierre-makes-12-million-a-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Pic of Brittney Palmer.

How do you do that to yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Don’t get the Dana hate on this, he repeatedly said how good GSP has been to the company etc but what he railed on was GSP’s comments after the fight, which GSP simply shouldn’t have said. He was beyond lucky to get that decision and it appeared he was throwing the whole weight class into turmoil ‘going away for a while’. If GSP had said he was retiring I don’t think Dana would have been half as critical but the indefinite break thing was never going to fly after a decision like that.

“You owe it to the fans, you owe it to that belt, you owe it to this company"

He owes Dana and the UFC nothing, they owe him everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

billy2012 wrote: »
    huh?

me?

did you look at the pic?

Her and Arianny used to be so stunning... They should have never changed anything.

Possibly nsfw.

Masked Man wrote: »
    Pic of Brittney Palmer.

How do you do that to yourself?

She was so much better looking before. Used to be my favourite Ring Girl by far :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

MrStuffins wrote: »

This is what I was saying regarding this. When he 'tapped' he wasn't even in the sub attempt. Also if he was tapping to stop GSP choking him I'm sure he would have made more of an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

“You owe it to the fans, you owe it to that belt, you owe it to this company"

He owes Dana and the UFC nothing, they owe him everything.

You’re taking that out of context. He’s talking specifically about taking an indefinite leave of absence as champion after a highly controversial result and in my opinion he does owe each of them some clarity on the situation, be it retiring properly or giving a rematch. If GSP had dealt with the situation better there wouldn’t have been an issue, people are just taking it as an opportunity to moan about Dana.

I'd feel sorry for Hendricks if he retires. You could he easily see how angry he was over the result and the possibility of never getting to prove himself against GSP.

I don't agree I think Dana didn't think before he spoke and he could've showed some or any class in appreciating how ****ed up GSPs head was talking to Joe 2 mins and 30 seconds after the toughest fight of his entire life. Dana knows that he's got the loudest microphone and he gets to give his opinion, not that it's worth more than anyone elses, so he shouts all over the place that GSP lost and got his ass kicked and this and that even though GSP has said he thinks he won it, by a bit but he DOES think he won it and so does his camp. Dana has a direct and instant interest in making a big fookin fuss about how GSP definitely lost that fight and got his ass kicked and didn't deserve the decision directly after the fight when everyone is emotional and niot thinking straight because he knows GSP IS the UFC, GSP IS probably going to be anywhere upwards of 20% of business in 2014... or at least he was..... that's literally an existential portion of UFC turnover. Dana had no idea GSP was going to step back for a year or two or whatever his comments seem to point towards and so Dana freaked out completely and said a bunch of **** that makes him seem like the biggest pr1ck in the world and only for the sake of money! He's a dick.. he shat all over an incredible feat by a champion which was - to win, by close margin it must be said, his 10th straight title defense. Dana should've simply said that in his mind Johnny won and left it at that - in no way in any form of reality did Johnny Hendricks in any sort of arguable logic kick GSP's ass last night - the decision was damn close and it is all about round 1 which could be argued both ways so Dana is not only wrong in his classless money hungry business based reactionary comments after the fight but his own assessment of the fight itself is totally wrong - 4-1 to Hendricks my fookin hole it was. Egotistical Dollar hungry MF is all he is to me now.

• Advertisement

I'd feel sorry for Hendricks if he retires. You could he easily see how angry he was over the result and the possibility of never getting to prove himself against GSP.

I think he did prove himself against GSP - he just wasn't good enough to beat him convincingly or finish him.

Advertisement