Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 167 ST PIERRE VS HENDRICKS **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I think he did prove himself against GSP - he just wasn't good enough to beat him convincingly or finish him.

So Hendricks isnt good enough yet you call GSP getting the decision over him in a very questionable and unconvincing fashion an ‘incredible feat’. How does that make any sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Foxtrol wrote: »
    So Hendricks didn’t prove himself yet you call GSP getting the decision over him in a very questionable call an ‘incredible feat’. How does that make any sense?

He mad GSP look human, something noone has done for quite a while.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I think he did prove himself against GSP - he just wasn't good enough to beat him convincingly or finish him.

I was referring to the judges. He has nothing to prove to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

no I said Hendricks did prove himself - proved how good he is - answer: not good enough to finish GSP because he didn't.

Is GSP good enough to finish Hendricks? not on evidence NO but that's not his game plan. Johnny's only game plan is to knock you out... he has no other game plan in mind and he was not able to do it against GSP.

GSP on the other hand managed to win on points which was the game plan.

Fight was very close but GSP won it.

I do genuinely believe you have to take the crown to be the champ especially when we're talking one of the all time kings of MMA on a 9 title defense run lasting 6 years.

Anyway we can argue who won 'to us' all week that'll never be settled... what is NOT ookin true though is that GSP got beaten definitively or his ass kicked as Dana said - that sh1t is just not true and not arguable.

The result of Dana's overboard comments and his over the top analysis that GSP definitely lost and he knows it and his camp knows it is not a fair reflection of the fight or of how the world/critics have viewed the fight and it diminishes GSP's win to the point of making him into a fraud. Which suits Dana's plan for a rematch which he desperately requires from a WW division which GSP has dominated to the point of 'who could possibly be the next credible challenger?' ESPECIALLY after watching Rory get beaten by Robbie which was just another headache for Dana. Robbie is not considered GSP level and he just beat Rory who WAS considered the second coming of christ allah and Buddah combined.
    It's Dana's ball and he's going home.

• Advertisement

no I said Hendricks did prove himself - proved how good he is - answer: not good enough to finish GSP because he didn't.

Is GSP good enough to finish Hendricks? not on evidence NO but that's not his game plan. Johnny's only game plan is to knock you out... he has no other game plan in mind and he was not able to do it against GSP.

GSP on the other hand managed to win on points which was the game plan.

Fight was very close but GSP won it.

I do genuinely believe you have to take the crown to be the champ especially when we're talking one of the all time kings of MMA on a 9 title defense run lasting 6 years.

Anyway we can argue who won 'to us' all week that'll never be settled... what is NOT ookin true though is that GSP got beaten definitively or his ass kicked as Dana said - that sh1t is just not true and not arguable.

GSP proved he couldn’t beat Hendricks definitively either.

Lauding GSP’s game plan is quite stupid as he won via a very controversial decision, it’s not as if his game plan allowed him to comprehensively win the fight.

Depends how you define ass kicked. I think Hendricks kicked GSP’s ass, just look at their physical and mental states after the fight, but GSP might have gotten enough points to make it not as big of a robbery as made out. With the points system and questionable judges calls a guy can quite easily get his ass kicked but win the fight narrowly on points.

an ‘incredible feat’. How does that make any sense?

only because Johnny Hendricks is a beast of a man and the scariest hitter the WW division or MMA in general has ever seen in its history and GSP AFTER defending his title 9 times, in a row against the best the world has to offer, not only does not get knocked out but squeezes a decision and wins, yet again, retaining a perfect 10 straight record making title defenses - which is a an incredible feat in its totality, if not in his lack of dominance and close performance the other night. As was said Johnny made him look human, very very human.... but he still won and that makes 10 and that IS AN INCREDIBLE FEAT.... IMO

GSP proved he couldn’t beat Hendricks definitively either.

correct....nothing definitive happened between them on Saturday night APART from GSP is definitively not well in the head right now and needs time off and Dana should have acted with consideration of that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Dana's comments in the press conference compared to Dana's comments in the scrum were very different after he had spoken to Georges. I would wager he regrets flying off the handle a little bit at the press conference now.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Dana's comments in the press conference compared to Dana's comments in the scrum were very different after he had spoken to Georges. I would wager he regrets flying off the handle a little bit at the press conference now.

Yeah, he had spoken to him at this stage and seemed more understanding. It seems he's confident that Georges will fight again too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Does anyone think GSP could beat Hendrix?....Like really beat him?

yeah I think he could sub him with a guillotine or RNC and I think he could wrestle him down and work elbows from top for a TKO but I think it's more likely that he would out-fight him for 5 rounds to a unanimous decision.

GSP fought while dealing with some major issues in his life on Saturday, there is specific stories saying what those are but this is not some teen rumors site so I won't mention them here til they're confirmed or whatever... anyway he eeked a close decision under tough mental circumstances. Now he knows Johnny in the cage over 5 rounds, we all do. He knows what Big Rig will try and do and how much heart he has/hasn't and cardio and so forth... Greg Jackson knows exactly how to strategize for next time, if it happens and GSP will dominate , that's my opinion anyway. I can't possibly see Johnny Hendricks or his team evolving his game beyond what it is and always will be - to go out and try and take your head off in round 1 or 2 until he's tired from swinging.

Just read about that - good call not bringing it up too. It is what it is and I know we're all for him coming back to defend his title an eleventh time! :)

Question I saw asked somewhere else... wonder what people think

Should round scores be announced after each round?
    i.e. judges score it and it goes up on a big screen. It's a very valid question but I'm not sure on it.

oh and I'd like to add that I don't believe Johnny took round 5 off and tried coast a win he thought was assured... boll0x to that he was ****in wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Gumbi wrote: »
    Just read about that - good call not bringing it up too. It is what it is and I know we're all for him coming back to defend his title an eleventh time! :)

I'm curious. Any links?

It's hardly a big deal.(the rumors)

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/17/5113052/ufc-167-in-tweets-pros-score-controversial-georges-st-pierre-vs-johny It seems all the pros / fighters felt that Hendrix was robbed.

Still not sure how some of you guys think GSP won the fight??

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'm curious. Any links?

He got a girl pregnant. Prob bull**** but who knows??

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I'm curious. Any links?

it's on TMZ and a hundred other feeds but half of it is a kinda sad family thing and the other thing I couldn't give a sh1t about and I wouldn't be interested meself in talking about either here PLUS it ain't confirmed and possibly won't be soon which will lead to fox style conjecture and speculation unworthy of our classy selves : )

Question I saw asked somewhere else... wonder what people think

Should round scores be announced after each round?
    i.e. judges score it and it goes up on a big screen. It's a very valid question but I'm not sure on it.

oh and I'd like to add that I don't believe Johnny took round 5 off and tried coast a win he thought was assured... boll0x to that he was ****in wrecked

Would be a good change but would prefer wholesale changes to the scoring system as it’s clearly broken.

Think GSP was clearly more wrecked than Johnny but was in the position where he needed a finish (in most peoples eyes) when Johnny only thought he only had to survive. It was obviously the wrong tactic given the poor judges call but how he viewed how the fight was going clearly played into how he performed in that round.

just meant he was knackered

• Advertisement

just meant he was knackered

He was the less knackered of the two fighters though; he just didn’t need to push the pace because he, along with the vast majority of people, thought he had it in the bag and only had to survive it. It’s not as if GSP won the round by a massive margin either so it doesn’t back up your point at all.

gotta love McGregor TV !

In this Jonny looks like the biggest WW I've ever seen! bigger than feckin Lombard... gas though ... all the fighters around ... livin the dream

George St.Pierre Vs Jonny Hendricks LIVE ENTRANCE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyvuP138o0s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

He was the less knackered of the two fighters though; he just didn’t need to push the pace because he, along with the vast majority of people, thought he had it in the bag and only had to survive it. It’s not as if GSP won the round by a massive margin either so it doesn’t back up your point at all.

ahem I was just saying I don't accept Jonny coasted last round I don't think he was able to fight more than he did.

ahem I was just saying I don't accept Jonny coasted last round I don't think he was able to fight more than he did.

Care to back that opinion up with any rational thought process?

I'm sure it would of been a much different 5th round if Hendrix believed he was losing the fight.

yeah prob would of tried some diff things but he was still knackered either way and I don't believe he decided to coast it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

If Chael P had coasted he would be the true champ right now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

billy2012 wrote: »

I do. GSP's evolution as a fighter has always been tied to losing. When Hughes beat him the first time he came back a completely different fighter. Same with the lose to Serra, although many would argue that change was for the worse it is undeniable that it changed his game in a way that very few could overcome.

Hendricks brought it to him and hurt him. GSP will be back and might just change again.

I ****ing hate Hendricks, dude irks the **** out of me, but if they do fight again, and GSP isn't bringing something new, Hendricks will win convincingly I feel.

Despite my dislike of the guy, I do feel bad for him. He should be champ now imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

billy2012 wrote: »

Define beat him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Define beat him.

Stop him? Then No Hendricks took a nice kick to head and it was like nothing.I'd love ifGSP had KO power but he don't.

Advertisement