Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 167 ST PIERRE VS HENDRICKS **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

billy2012 wrote: »
    It's hardly a big deal.(the rumors)

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/17/5113052/ufc-167-in-tweets-pros-score-controversial-georges-st-pierre-vs-johny It seems all the pros / fighters felt that Hendrix was robbed.

Still not sure how some of you guys think GSP won the fight??

Well I thought Hendricks won personally but it all goes down to how you scored the 1st round and it was a close round. I think some of the controversy comes from the fact that Hendricks won his rounds very convincingly while the rounds GSP won were a lot closer in general. As a whole you felt that Hendricks clearly won the "fight" but under the 10 point must system you can make an argument that GSP won 3 rounds to 2. If that fight was under old Pride rules, Hendricks wins easily, but it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

I'm sure it would of been a much different 5th round if Hendrix believed he was losing the fight.

Well then its on Johnny and his corner. He lost the 3rd round. The first 2 were not clear cut wins for him (especially considering the inconsistent judging that plagues mma). I gave both to him, and had him winning 3-2 btw.

If his corner weren't cognisant of the fact that the fight could have been 2-2 at that stage, and led him to believe that it was in the bag, then they did him a huge disservice. GSP stole the 5th by staying busy. Johnny really didn't do much at all in the last. It was not as if GSP had the strength to finish him at that stage anyway so don't understand the cautious approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

It wasn't caution or purposeful inactivity or coasting... he just hadn't got anything left to do anything and GSP did.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

osl wrote: »
    Well then its on Johnny and his corner. He lost the 3rd round. The first 2 were not clear cut wins for him (especially considering the inconsistent judging that plagues mma). I gave both to him, and had him winning 3-2 btw.

If his corner weren't cognisant of the fact that the fight could have been 2-2 at that stage, and led him to believe that it was in the bag, then they did him a huge disservice. GSP stole the 5th by staying busy. Johnny really didn't do much at all in the last. It was not as if GSP had the strength to finish him at that stage anyway so don't understand the cautious approach.

Dave Meltzer said that Hendricks' corner told him before the final round that he had already won 3 rounds. Big mistake. Probably felt all he had to do was avoid being KO'd or subbed in the last to win the fight.

The level of disgust over this decision, which is not considered to be as close as Jones v Gus, stems from the large number of people who label GSP as a boring jab + take down crown-protector. People who literally hate his style so much that they are only one step shy of building a time machine to go back to before round 5 so they can tell Johny to swing for the fences as if he would've pulled a great big KO out of nowhere... in the land of sunshine lollipops and 20/20 hindsight.

Whereas I have to say most journalists, most articles I've read on the main MMA sites so far accept the decision without much push back and think the fight could've gone to either guy. I think GSP won it but I accept it could've gone to either guy. I don't accept Johny came and took the crown... he didn't.

If and when he's in sufficient physical and mental condition he will come back and fight Johny and win convincingly I'm confident of that. If that's going to be any longer than one year from now then he should retire and hand back the belt. I don't care what is the issue with a champion if you can't fight or won't fight for a period like that and are not available to answer a challenge then your reign is over and a tournament should be arranged. 6-8 months would be an acceptable period of leeway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,309 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Close? Are you kidding, GSP got annihilated.
    Comments like this just highlight a lack on understanding of the 10-point system.
    figs666 wrote: »
    The judges all said Hendricks won round 2 and 4 and that GSP won 3 and 5 , the decision was down to round 1 , I rewatched the round 1 and gsp won that round , he was definitely the aggressor but in fairness , Hendricks done more damage .

Question I saw asked somewhere else... wonder what people think

Should round scores be announced after each round?
    i.e. judges score it and it goes up on a big screen. It's a very valid question but I'm not sure on it.
    Would do a lot more harm than good.
    We'd see a lot of people shutting down the last round. Wouldn't be a true fight.

I also think it gives the guy losing a big advantage.
    Say we have two close rounds, either fighter could be winning.
    Currently, they both approach the 3rd thinking that only a finish is clear cut, they try to attack, yet still need defend the finish, also knowing that a solid round could win it for them.

If they know the results and that they are behind, they can ignore winning the round, ignoring defending. And just throw sloppy leather, its not good for the sport imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Great piece here by Meltzer on the limitations of the ten point must system with regard to MMA

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/18/5118406/gsp-vs-hendricks-judging-dana-white-and-the-nevada-commission

Basically - Hendricks won the "fight", so to speak, but GSP won three rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Dana says Koscheck texted him after his fight and it sounded like retirement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

califano wrote: »
    Dana says Koscheck texted him after his fight and it sounded like retirement.

Brilliant. He's about as enjoyable to watch as paint drying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I dunno. I enjoyed the seconds immediately proceeding the Paul Daley fight :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I dunno. I enjoyed the seconds immediately proceeding the Paul Daley fight :P

If only he actually connected *sigh* :(

Roar wrote: »
    Hendricks won the "fight", so to speak, but GSP won three rounds.

I understand the logic but I don't buy it completely BUT I know what they're trying to say..because the UFC is not pure fighting and hasn't been for a long long time.
    Even the very addition of rounds changes it from fighting to something completely different (note: GSP once said he'd prefer one round).
    The gloves take it totally away from pure fighting with cuts and blood and lastly the scored rounds take it from pure fighting almost all the way but not quite into pure sports territory for me... which I've said loads of times - MMA as it exists in the UFC is not fighting, but it's not a pure sport in my eyes either - it's actually both!
    so in terms of the fighting side of it - yes - Hendricks won the fight I reluctantly agree : ) but in terms of what professional MMA is in the UFC GSP won the fight in my eyes AND none of that matters a damn because it's just 'pointless' analysis because you have to deal with it as it isnot how it should be or can be at times... GSP is the greatest MMA fighter of all time IMO because he understands this deeply on another level than all other fighters. Silva goes in to finish guys and does invariably as did Fedor and that is/was their style and most people respect them more for that intent and ability than GSP's ability to school people at MMA as it is within the rules and scoring and 5 round championship fights. That's what the unfortunate genius of Greg Jackson and his camp brings to somebody with the abilities of GSP - more tools = more ways to win = more freedom to choose a strategy = GSP as he said once 'I train to fight a whole army, one man is not going to beat me' ....if you understand what he's trying to say there... he can change his game for anyone, any type of fighter and every time he's successful against another style of fighter he adds to his greatness to his toolbox and he becomes more and more unbeatable - AT MMA.

He got in Johnny's face and restricted Johnny's ability to use his power left ENOUGH to keep the fight in play. That alone is more than almost anyone else has been able to do. That's what won him the fight. I'd prefer if GSP finished guys I would but his ability to do what he has been doing is incredible when you think about it.. and it is FAAAAR more dynamic and complex than haters give him credit for - it's not just jab and take down, it's a lot more skillful and difficult than that and there isn't a person on the planet bar a future Rory McDonald who can come close to that ability. This professional MMA UFC 5 round Sport Scored Fight could've gone either way but just the fact that he stopped Johny from finishing him and took a damn close decision, and it WAS damn close, his 10th straight title defense!! is deserved of a lot more respect than has been forthcoming. People want him off the throne I get that but it's like watching a TV Ref replay an England Try in Landsdown Road and waiting for the verdict - you cannot remain neutral it's impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

[QUOTE=Be like Nutella;87580486 TV Ref replay an England Try in Landsdown Road and waiting for the verdict - you cannot remain neutral it's impossible.[/QUOTE]

very true words .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

If you were to ask Hendrix which was a tougher fight GSP or Carlos Condit what would he say?

BTW I think Carlos beat Hendrix. ( I know tech Hendrix won but I think that's the problem with the sport, the point system really does need looking at)

Hendrix only won because of takedowns and inflicted no damage once he took Condit down.

Condit was constantly fukin him up from the bottom with elbows, punches and always looking for a sub.

Does anyone think GSP could beat Hendrix?....Like really beat him?

yes . i do . i think with his head sorted he could man handle him , he also proved something . he has a chin , he took some clean shots off hendricks and wobbled but went on to win the match , THAT'S WHY HE'S THE CHAMP:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

yes . i do . i think with his head sorted he could man handle him , he also proved something . he has a chin , he took some clean shots off hendricks and wobbled but went on to win the match , THAT'S WHY HE'S THE CHAMP:D

I would love nothing more than for GSP to come back and destroy Hendrix but I just don't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I've watched the fight once only and as a GSP fan but my jaw actually dropped when the decision was announced. I was sure Hendricks had won the fight and I think GSP did as well from his demeanour after it ended.

Think people as being way too harsh on Dana as well. What GSP said after the fight seemed unprofessional albeit out of character from him and maybe the beating contributed to it. Retired is one thing but talking cryptic rubbish about breaks etc shouldn't have been done spur of the moment with the world watching.

He obviously is going through some stuff but that wasn't the time to say that imo.

Hopefully he gets his head together and the rematch happens in the summer but I think I would favour Hendricks in a rematch where I thought GSP would definitely win Saturday.

I also think the Jones Gus fight was a tighter decision than this one.

i must watch the gus / jones fight again , i didn't think it was as close as gsp/ big rig

i'd like to see the GSP that fought Alves fight Big Rig . What about the pre surgery GSP that fought and dominated josh koshchek ( twice) , i want to see big rig talk sh1t about winning against that guy . Big Rig isn't in that Guys class , just a pity that guy didn't show up saturday night .

I'm a huge GSP fan and would love to see the old GSP come back , is he over the hill , i hope now , he plays a very physical game plan . maybe his time is up ? i hope not

A gsp who beat Jake Sheilds with ONE EYE

• Advertisement

Fck Dana White too

Dana owes it to the UFC to go on a diet

Don't Listen to Dana White, Georges St-Pierre Owes the UFC Nothing

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1856249-dont-listen-to-dana-white-georges-st-pierre-owes-the-ufc-nothing

' He has been an ambassador for the sport, an almost unrivaled box office and pay-per-view draw, the bread and butter for one of their most successful markets and possibly the biggest company man the UFC has on roster. All of that on top of his willingness to sacrifice his time and body for the entertainment of others. So, make no mistake. When White or anybody else says that St-Pierre owes him, Hendricks or the UFC anything, it is absolutely untrue. St-Pierre doesn't owe anyone anything when it comes to his combat sports career.
    He certainly doesn't owe anything to the company that he has helped carry for seven years now '

Did Dana cross the line in his GSP criticisms?

Yes

83.3%

No

16.7%

Total votes: 1,578

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Fck Dana White too
    Dana owes it to the UFC to go on a diet

Less of the Sherdog type posts, man.
    This forum is better than that. Proper discussion is encouraged, the above posts on their own, are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Don’t think it has been mentioned about the medical suspension that Hendricks has be put on due to damage to his knee. I’m interested in hearing when in the fight that happened as if he was putting in that kind of performance with one leg for a long period you’d have to fear for GSP if he has the bottle for a rematch.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    if he was putting in that kind of performance with one leg for a long period you’d have to fear for GSP if he has the bottle for a rematch.

lol now we're questioning GSP's bottle?

hahaha now that is good

The man has as much, if not more heart, than any MMA fighter in the history of the sport.

lol now we're questioning GSP's bottle?

hahaha now that is good

The man has as much, if not more heart, than any MMA fighter in the history of the sport.

If you’re right then we’ll see him give a rematch.

Good job ignoring my point about Hendricks having a seemingly badly injured leg during the fight.

ah no I heard about the knee alright... but he's had that issue for over a year and has aggravated it again... that's fightin. Hopefully he'll be healthy in less than 6 months. A lot of unconfirmed stories goin round at the mo so we'll see how it is soon enough.

ah no I heard about the knee alright... but he's had that issue for over a year and has aggravated it again... that's fightin. Hopefully he'll be healthy in less than 6 months. A lot of unconfirmed stories goin round at the mo so we'll see how it is soon enough.

That seems hypocritical, people mention GSP’s state of mind being an excuse for his poor performance but when it comes to Hendricks having an injured leg - ‘that’s fightin’. Fighters go into every fight with a load of different issues going on behind the scenes; I’m not sure how more credence seems to be given to possible mental issues than a documented physical one.

• Advertisement

I only meant that hurting his knee during the fight is not a surprise and he was confident his knee was better before the fight so it wasn't something he was carrying, similar to GSP's knee situation which he also recovered from.

Advertisement