Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 167 ST PIERRE VS HENDRICKS **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

There's a lot of people online and otherwise saying GSP shouldn't retire now and if he does then he's cheating Hendricks out of a rematch etc etc.
    I'm the same as everyone else, in that I'd love to see a rematch if/when both guys are back to 100%, but tbh I'd much rather GSP retire now if it means he retires healthy. Nobody wants to see a guy carry on if he's not physically or mentally fit to do so, just so he can please fans who'll just as quickly forget about him once he's gone.

I was reading an interview with Joe Rogan earlier today and he reckons Georges has taken too many shots to the head. Here's a really interesting thing he said during that interview:
    An interesting statistic is that Georges has taken more punches and kicks in the last three fights than any of his fights, ever. In fact, 50% of the shots he's taken his entire career were in the last three fights.

Now, if that is true, then I'd want GSP to get out now. Especially since he's been experiencing a lot of memory loss over the past while. It may be a sign of bad things to come, and nobody wants to see him deteriorate into old age like a lot of boxing greats have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

100%

is that a statement or a question ? please expand

ha I'm agreeing man chill I hope he retires if he's fooked in the head.. nobody in his position should take on another camp for the rest of their life unless they want to be champ as much as they want to breathe with killers like Johny out there.

ha I'm agreeing man chill I hope he retires if he's fooked in the head.. nobody in his position should take on another camp for the rest of their life unless they want to be champ as much as they want to breathe with killers like Johny out there.

True bro , GSP is a legend , I have his book , its a good read .

Plus all that sparring in camps must be punishing .

talking of ex fighter , anyone see gary goodridge or mark coleman lately . scary

• Advertisement

coleman looks like an aids patient

Yeah it is.. but ya gotta think about what puts particular fighters into the 'risk of repetitive head trauma' bracket - it's about style and numbers of rounds and what level of the game you're at. GSP fights 5 rounds with top guys - 5 years of that... and all the sparring?? given his intense focus in training? not good for the ould brain not good but hopefully this is all people jumping to conclusions. His interviews up to this fight didn't show me a guy who's gettin punch drunk or anything like that so I don't know. Maybe it's time to walk away no matter what questions will remain..

I kinda think he should retire now no matter what.

the hammer stayed in the cage too long and the sport passed him by and Dana abused his health for money... Coleman needed the cash it's very sad. UFC will be forced now to look into every part of this business to see how they can reduce likelihood of fighters suffering unnecessarily and they could bloody start with gettin that girl ref outa there ! and by not allowing older fighters who are starting to miss a beat to fight onwards. It takes turning down big money fights and telling guys to walk away or even paying them to retire... imagine that - a company acting responsibly... never

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Brilliant. He's about as enjoyable to watch as paint drying.

Look at his record. In his last 12 fights 3 of them have been boring. One if them was him being shut down by GSP which was no fault of his own. He did start his ufc career with boring fights but you should watch his fights from the last five odd years before you say he's boring.

His fight with Hendricks was fantastic and many, including myself, scored it for Kos. His destructions of Trigg, Hughes and Johnson were far from boring.

I started off hating him but he won me over as a fighter. He's one of the top all time welterweights for sure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

The man has as much, if not more heart, than any MMA fighter in the history of the sport.

Sorry to back track a few posts but there's just no way you can say he has more heart than anyone else in the sport. Junior Dos Santos, hands down. The dude has incredible fight in him and never gave up despite taking one of the most one sided beatings that would have put an elephant to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

There's a good few guys that would be up there with incredible heart. I agree JDS is definitely one of them.
    Frankie Edgar has to be up there too. He just keeps coming and never let up during his fights against Maynard and Bendo, even after taking seriously good shots that would make most guys wanna quit.

Yup. Would definitely agree with Edgar. Could probably think of 5 fighters to put up before GSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

El Guapo! wrote: »
    There's a lot of people online and otherwise saying GSP shouldn't retire now and if he does then he's cheating Hendricks out of a rematch etc etc.
    I'm the same as everyone else, in that I'd love to see a rematch if/when both guys are back to 100%, but tbh I'd much rather GSP retire now if it means he retires healthy. Nobody wants to see a guy carry on if he's not physically or mentally fit to do so, just so he can please fans who'll just as quickly forget about him once he's gone.

I was reading an interview with Joe Rogan earlier today and he reckons Georges has taken too many shots to the head. Here's a really interesting thing he said during that interview:

Now, if that is true, then I'd want GSP to get out now. Especially since he's been experiencing a lot of memory loss over the past while. It may be a sign of bad things to come, and nobody wants to see him deteriorate into old age like a lot of boxing greats have.

I think people’s issue is more the crap he was coming out with about stepping away for a while as champion rather than a flat out retirement, that if anything is when he’d be properly cheating Hendricks

If he can’t take the punishment anymore and retires it will likely leave a slight asterix beside his legacy in the short/medium term but it’s better to retire than risk issues down the road so I don’t think there’d be too many objections.

Sorry to back track a few posts but there's just no way you can say he has more heart than anyone else in the sport.

it's my opinion and yeah I would put him up there 'with' the most heart in the game ... I said as much, if not more. I didn't say outright most heart in the game ever.. there's a few I would maybe put on his 'proven heart in the cage' level.. but not many. But I wouldn't put anybody past him myself. He's dragged the strongest WW fighters ever into 5 rounds for 5 years and come out clearly on top in most cases. Don't think it needs any more factual support than that tbh.

He has made the best look average, at best, so many times and in doing so has pushed the very concept of MMA to a higher skill level in every range. Johny was so much bigger and more powerful on the night it was scary - but GSP stayed in there and worked his game for 5 rounds against a beast and in my opinion came out marginally on top.

He's pushed what level of conditioning is required to challenge for the belt, to another level.
    He's pushed MMA wrestling, not straight college wrestling, which is different, to a whole new level and has changed the way people train, the very skill set which is now required to beat the best - is what it is - because of a lot of what GSP has done in the cage.

He's a pure warrior and his heart can't and hasn't ever been questioned by anyone as far as I know... whether he's the guy with the most heart ever I don't know I wouldn't put many past him - is all I meant.. and to question his bottle for any reason is ludicrous IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

What units are heart measured in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

You really think the sun shines out of GSP!!

yes I am the resident GSP NutHugger I admit that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

p to the e wrote: »

Well you only have it if you are on the end of an ass whooping it seems.

noncontrast-enhanced computed tomography: correlation with left ventricular mass

or eh

FOTN bonuses - he has 4, highest is 7

Well you only have it if you are on the end of an ass whooping it seems.

• Advertisement

I'd consider Travis Browne against Overreem more "heart" worthy than GSP... He got smashed in the first 3 and a half minutes and still fought back to knock him out.

Anderson Silva v Sonnen I - he was getting smashed for 5 rounds and still managed to keep his composure and get the sub.

I'd give it to someone who can persevere through a beating and know they still have the capability to win, someone who is refusing to lose.

^^^ Silva was never smashed by Sonnen. He took a few shot in the 1st round and was pretty much just held down for the next 4 rounds, but always looked comfortable on the bottom.

fair enough

GSP refuses to lose and finds a way to win

Diego v Gil is in my mind the moment the most heart was ever shown in the octagon. Never forget that, Diego in particular seeing as he was the lesser fighter/is the lesser fighter... never was so impressed in sport by a mans will to not give up than in that fight as rocky said

You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can GET hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward.

billy2012 wrote: »
    ^^^ Silva was never smashed by Sonnen. He took a few shot in the 1st round and was pretty much just held down for the next 4 rounds, but always looked comfortable on the bottom.

oh sh1t here we go again
    I'm goin for smoke : )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

I think the ten point must system needs to go, I am a huge gsp fan but he did not win the fight, he got his as kicked. If you had to go through the exact same fight as gsp/jh who would you rather be?

GSP... my knee would be ok and I'd recover from surface facial injuries in 3 weeks... and still be WW UFC Champion having been paid about 500k for the fight and another 3 mill plus in ppv and sponsorship money so ...yeah...GSP by a long long way

nobody got their ass kicked, he got the nod on what was a very close fight and now he's on a beach somewhere swimming havin fun : )

gallag wrote: »
    I think the ten point must system needs to go, I am a huge gsp fan but he did not win the fight, he got his as kicked. If you had to go through the exact same fight as gsp/jh who would you rather be?

Easy, rather be gsp, win bonus for winning a mma fight and still a ufc champ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Predictable and silly answers, gsp got mauled, sure I would also take that mauling for a few million but all that aside at the end of that fight on a pure health basis who would you rather be?

• Advertisement

The answer you want is - GSP felt worse after the fight physically yeah
    unless
    Johny fooked up his knee in which case then I'd still much rather be GSP... physically because a reoccurring knee problem is much worse than facial cuts and swelling which will heal in 3 weeks. I hope Johny's knee isn't as bad as rumors suggest.

Advertisement