Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

closing a bank account from abroad

Options
  • 11-11-2013 8:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi ive moved to Oz recently but still have a bank account open at home. When I was back recently I tried to close it but they wouldnt let me as I didnt have a utility bill with my name on it. As I dont live in Ireland anymore I dont have a utility bill. My folks still live at home and will close it for me but what or how can I get an official letter with my name and address on it.

Your thought on this would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Normally a letter signed by you with the instruction, posted to them, would be enough to close it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Normally a letter signed by you with the instruction, posted to them, would be enough to close it.

Hi no unfortunately I went in when I was home and tried to close it myself but they needed a letter with my address on it to close it and I cant think of any recent official letter for me

Unusual - which bank is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Yeah, a signed letter is normally acceptable.
    Hi ive moved to Oz recently but still have a bank account open at home. When I was back recently I tried to close it but they wouldnt let me as I didnt have a utility bill with my name on it. As I dont live in Ireland anymore I dont have a utility bill. My folks still live at home and will close it for me but what or how can I get an official letter with my name and address on it.

Your thought on this would be appreciated

Talk to the bank. Speak to a manager. Explain the problem.

A "utility bill" is probably the default requirement, they should offer an alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I can't answer the question but what I can say is don't. Setting up an account again will be difficult when you come back.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Unusual - which bank is it?

AIB...

I can't answer the question but what I can say is don't. Setting up an account again will be difficult when you come back.

Ah I think it will be a while before im back thats why I wanna close it. Yeah they are askin the utility bill but any other official letter will do. Where can I request a letter from that will sent a letter to my house. I cant think of any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

That's weird; I closed my AIB account recently with just my driver's license...

TBH I'd simply write to them, stating quite firmly that you wish the account closed upon receipt on the instruction as you are no longer resident in Ireland, and it is no longer required. Once it's signed, they can match it to your signature which they have on file. There shouldn't be any more to it.

In all the accounts I've had and closed over the years, I've never had to do anything over and above that.

Advertisement