Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying off/closing AvantCard

Options
  • 11-11-2013 8:25pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have paid off my Avant Card today (thankfully) and once I see that the funds have cleared on the card account I am going to cancel it.
    Has anyone done this recently? did you find it smooth sailing or did you have any problems/delays in closing the account?

I am cancelling direct debit, just in case they try taking a payment at end of the month. I have also put in the €30 towards the goverment levy, which I know they will charge on closing the account.

I am going to be so glad to cut up that Avant card, good riddence to them! Plus I'm now credit card free, and intend on staying that way now :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭wush06

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I have paid off my Avant Card today (thankfully) and once I see that the funds have cleared on the card account I am going to cancel it.
    Has anyone done this recently? did you find it smooth sailing or did you have any problems/delays in closing the account?

I am cancelling direct debit, just in case they try taking a payment at end of the month. I have also put in the €30 towards the goverment levy, which I know they will charge on closing the account.

I am going to be so glad to cut up that Avant card, good riddence to them! Plus I'm now credit card free, and intend on staying that way now :)

I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing. I think the rate with MBNA was around 10-11% this shower put it straight up to 18-19 APR. I also hear that there customer services is no better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

wush06 wrote: »
    I'm in the process of doing the exact same thing. I think the rate with MBNA was around 10-11% this shower put it straight up to 18-19 APR. I also hear that there customer services is no better.

I topped up an existing loan to pay off the card. I can't see the point having it anymore and only paying off a bit every month, I'm getting nowhere! I am saving the min payment a month, plus €25 a week on my existing loan repayment, so its worked out a lot better than trying to get a balance transfer on another card! Can't wait to cancel this card, sick of them at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

wush06 wrote: »

That said, pretty much every card provider in the country has done so in recent times. MBNA/Avant's stayed lower in some cases for longer, probably because they were tied up in the sale/transfer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

thankfully it was no hassle cancelling the card! I had paid the €30 extra in it to cover the government charge, so they said they will just confirm it in writing and that is it!
    I am so glad to be rid of it, especially with the bad service etc since Avant Card took over!
    I am finally credit card free :) now to chop it up lol

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    thankfully it was no hassle cancelling the card! I had paid the €30 extra in it to cover the government charge, so they said they will just confirm it in writing and that is it!
    I am so glad to be rid of it, especially with the bad service etc since Avant Card took over!
    I am finally credit card free :) now to chop it up lol

You are not the only one,i am going to apply for a different card and then cancel,they are horrible to deal with,they just blocked my card on a small purchase and i cant do anything till Monday as they have no customer service after 2pm ,even if its stolen or lost you have to deal with a third party company based in the UK,come back MBNA all is forgiven:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement