Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handing in my notice

Options
  • 11-11-2013 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of a stupid question ... How do I give notice to my current employer? Im in my first real job at the moment and been here for a year and a half ... Its retail work ... Am I supposed to say it to my manager or do I write a letter or what?? I checked my contract and all it says is that the minimum notice is whatever the statutory requirement is ... which is 1 week yeah?

Im such a dope lol can someone walk me through the process please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Typically, you'd tell your boss in person that you're resigning and have a letter to give him/her.

The letter can be as short as one line long confirming your finish date (you're correct that it's a week), but if you want to leave on good terms, then it's no harm to thank them for the opportunity and all that stuff.

There are lots of samples online - some of these are a bit on the formal side, but should give you a start http://www.sample-resignation-letters.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ah brilliant thanks ... Just 1 more question ... The store Im in has a couple of departments so do I hand the letter to my direct manager or the general store manager whos in charge of all the departments?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Usually your direct manager, they can pass it up the chain as needed. Or they might tell you to go to the appropriate manager.

Advertisement