Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADVICE ON NEW CONTRACT

Options
  • 11-11-2013 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi everyone!

just need a bit of advice!got a contract of employment today after being in my job many years,all employees got one.most of it is pretty straight forward but there are a couple of things that I am a little concerned about and was wondering if anyone has come across the same thing?

firstly it says that if we become bankrupt or enter into an arrangement with ou creditors our employment can be terminated?

also it states that they have the right to search us,our vehicle and our personal property whilst on or leaving the premises.

any advice would be very grateful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What industry are you in? There are some where your personal circumstances are very important.

The security search would actually be quite common. In fact in a lot of places not only is it reserved by the company, it's actually a daily occurrence for employees to walk single file through metal detectors at the end of a shift. If I'm not mistaken one example would be anyone handling Microsoft products or licenses, either directly or as an outsourced supplier, is obligated by (and regularly audited by) Microsoft to do this.

Can't say I've ever heard of personal bankruptcy being held up as a reason for dismissal before, though obviously there are countless lines of work with which I have no experience or knowledge. If it compromises your ability to do your job at the expense of your employer I guess there might be some basis to it. Sounds awfully intrusive mind, a bit like the "morals clause" Hollywood studios would impose on actors in the 30's!

Even if you're not in a union, most union offices would have someone experienced with employment law that might oblige you with a quick glance over the contract and advise you if something is blatantly out of order, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KAZ82

i work in a shop,no the deli counter to be precise!i could understand if i worked in a bank or delt with investments etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I'd say they just copied the contract from somewhere else. I wouldn't worry about it.

Advertisement