Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

• 11-11-2013 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

New thread! :D

Old thread can be found here.

Robin is happy about the new thread.

ibcPYzcskgJRgr.gif
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

10gvO.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Hi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Hi, I'm in the new thread.

For posterity, just yesterday United beat Arsenal 1-0 at Old Trafford. We are all way more excited about that than we would have been last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Keno wrote: »

10gvO.gif

Whurr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just in case things go down hill later on in the season, we can always enjoy this video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

He has still has that "Fergie time"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Is that Moyes's wife beside Fergie?

Clutches her handbag as soon as Fergie stands up ready to go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

evening all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Valencia sux!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

tumblr_mw2l09PFXD1qk1fueo1_500.gif

Hi guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

iBnRYkXOn2yQV.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ROBIN VAN PERSIE OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ROBIN VAN PERSIE!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Evans described yesterday as the best atmosphere ever at Old Trafford that he has experienced.

it was pretty bouncing alright, how did it sound on TV?
    I couldn't tell if it was because the T.V is so loud in the pub but it sounded great!

It was unbelievable! Hands down the best atmosphere I've experienced in Old Trafford and far better than any of the recent derbies I've been to.

We sang from the first minute to the last and finished up with the "20 Times!" chant in the 93rd minute that made the hairs on your neck standup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

This thread will be forever cursed unless it's predecessor finishes on a prime number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

NUTZZ wrote: »
    It was unbelievable! Hands down the best atmosphere I've experienced in Old Trafford and far better than any of the recent derbies I've been to.

We sang from the first minute to the last and finished up with the "20 Times!" chant in the 93rd minute that made the hairs on your neck standup!
    It was just behind the real madrid game for atmosphere. Stretford end and east stand were absolutely bouncing yesterday. Turning off the PA system before the teams come out has made a big difference to the atmosphere pre game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

n32 wrote: »
    It was just behind the real madrid game for atmosphere. Stretford end and east stand were absolutely bouncing yesterday. Turning off the PA system before the teams come out has made a big difference to the atmosphere pre game.

think its more to do with the fact that the team are struggling and the fans are getting behind them more.

the signing section has woke up a few lads also. the east stand looked class from the strettie, which helped also. now if only people in the north and south would wake up and we'd have the best atmosphere in the league!

arsenal fans were hopeless though, worst away fans in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

arsenal fans were hopeless though, worst away fans in years.

Every time I have been to OT Everton fans have been the most disappointing when it comes to away support.

Arsenal are never great, but Everton are poorest for me surprisingly.

Every time I have been to OT Everton fans have been the most disappointing when it comes to away support.

Arsenal are never great, but Everton are poorest for me surprisingly.
    Surprised at everton. Read somewhere that they sell out their allocation for every away game and i ve been to a few united everton games at goodison and the atmospher there was very good. Arsenal fans were pathetic . Schalke in the cl semi final in 2011 were most impressive i ve seen with ac milan in 2010 not far off them

n32 wrote: »
    Surprised at everton. Read somewhere that they sell out their allocation for every away game and i ve been to a few united everton games at goodison and the atmospher there was very good. Arsenal fans were pathetic . Schalke in the cl semi final in 2011 were most impressive i ve seen with ac milan in 2010 not far off them

Goodison is terrific. One of my favourite away grounds along with WHL and St James.

Always surprised they aint louder when they play at OT.

Off top of my head I have been to 6 Everton home games and each time disappointed with them.

Was in the East Stand when we played them in evening Kick off in November 2009 and they were still poor.

Goodison is terrific. One of my favourite away grounds along with WHL and St James.

Always surprised they aint louder when they play at OT.

Off top of my head I have been to 6 Everton home games and each time disappointed with them.

Was in the East Stand when we played them in evening Kick off in November 2009 and they were still poor.

Goodison is an unreal ground. Its like stepping back 50 years when you go into the away end. It has a real character about it compared to the new type of prototype stadium like reebok, kc , st marys etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

I noticed DDG had two great punches yesterday. It looks like he is happy to do this rather than try catch the ball like previous seasons.

Chris Woods and the rest of the staffs changes are start to take shape on the pitch, the managment team and the players are finding their feet

Oh and DDG has monster puch, look at this beauty

i9kfljU49R2y5.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I'd struggle to kick it that far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I noticed DDG had two great punches yesterday. It looks like he is happy to do this rather than try catch the ball like previous seasons.

Chris Woods and the rest of the staffs changes are start to take shape on the pitch, the managment team and the players are finding their feet

Oh and DDG has monster puch, look at this beauty

i9kfljU49R2y5.gif

Don't know if you can put that improvement down to the coach, he was steadily improving that part of his game all the time anyway

(He was punching last season and still catches this season :))

am i right in saying that this RVP stat is true (put it together myself following a discussion before the game yesterday)
    RVP has played against 20 different PL teams in the league for Man United scoring against 18 of them, but only has scored a goal in the Stretford end against one team.

anybody know who that team is!? ;) the two teams he has not scored against are QPR and Norwich by the way! (he has not played against Hull and Cardiff yet).

given the fact that we normally attack the strettie in the second half, it would suggest that practically all of his old trafford goals have come in the first half and apart from a few against City, Swansea and west brom most of his goals in general come in the first half.

Would that be a sign that we are retreating too much in games and are isolating our striker the more the games go on?

Stoke couple weeks ago?

am i right in saying that this RVP stat is true (put it together myself following a discussion before the game yesterday)

anybody know who that team is!? ;) the two teams he has not scored against are QPR and Norwich by the way! (he has not played against Hull and Cardiff yet).

given the fact that we normally attack the strettie in the second half, it would suggest that practically all of his old trafford goals have come in the first half and apart from a few against City, Swansea and west brom most of his goals in general come in the first half.

Would that be a sign that we are retreating too much in games and are isolating our striker the more the games go on?

Stoke this season and last season. Rvp did get a 2nd half goal at OT but it was into the east stand v newcastle on stephens day last year and v wba 2 days later also into east stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Just in case things go down hill later on in the season, we can always enjoy this video.

Weird, that video made me happy and sad at the same time. A great result on Sunday and I was particularly delighted for Moyes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Interesting thoughts on Phil Jones

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/nov/11/manchester-united-phil-jones-england-defender
    Beyond this the other answer to the Jones conundrum is that he's not really a conundrum after all. Better perhaps to see him simply as a very modern, generation-next kind of footballer, a re-gearing of the utility defender for an age when attack itself has become ever more diffuse. Midfielders and strikers have experienced a general opening out, a relaxing of the old positional certainties. Surely it is time for defensive players also to become more fluent and adaptable, just as Jones's expertly enacted role against Arsenal was a response to a specific fluidity in the opposition in that area of the pitch.

Can players like Jones be deployed in a way that changes how defences operate or is that reading way to much into how he plays when in midfield? With likes of Sergio Ramos, Busquets, Lahm around is it a change at all, are clubs like United simply playing catch up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Kagawa and Reus in some sort of swap being moted by James Ducker of The Times. One of the better journo's as regards Utd.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/manchesterunited/article3919712.ece

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

dahat wrote: »
    Kagawa and Reus in some sort of swap being moted by James Ducker of The Times. One of the better journo's as regards Utd.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/clubs/manchesterunited/article3919712.ece

Certain posters, who's knowledge of the Bundesliga is unequalled around here, have already rubbished any idea thatb Reus would leave Dortmund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,377 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Certain posters, who's knowledge of the Bundesliga is unequalled around here, have already rubbished any idea thatb Reus would leave Dortmund.

For anyone, ever. such a shame for everyone else.

Stoke couple weeks ago?

yep....from my knowledge, Stoke are the only PL team that RVP has scored against at the Stretford end. considering he now has 40 goals for us, its pretty amazing stat.

another interesting one -
    Manchester United have lost just one of the 29 Premier League games that Smalling has played at Old Trafford - they have won 26 and drawn two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Speaking of stats,I think the commentator yesterday said something similar about us not losing when about Rooney & RVP playing together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Just back from the game. Mad weekend. On the DDG punchs I noticed in the warm (while mangaling my pepper steak pie) the coaches were crossing balls just for DDG too punch rather then catch

I was in the Stretford end upper and by far THE best atmosphere I've ever expirenced! The "his eyes are offside " chant had me in stiches! I really hope it came across on tv as the stadium was rocking!! Only thing missing IMO was a thats why were champions chant at the very end but the 20 times chants more then made up for it!!

• Advertisement

Being saying this for few years but I think Smalling will turn into a great player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11899/9021767/borussia-dortmund-attacker-marco-reus-does-have-release-clause-in-his-contract

If I could pick one player to come to United apart from Messi/Ronaldo, it would be Reus. He is absolutely brilliant, and is more suited to a wide role than Kagawa.

Great to hear OT rocking like that,I think the days of fans turning up expecting to win like it was a divine right while the stands were almost silent are behind us for a while.
    Fans seem to have realised that they are becoming the 12th man again,even games where we haven't been doing well in have had great atmosphere's.Take the Stoke game as an example,almost constant noise whereas before the place would have been like a morgue.Perhaps the new singing section has helped but I feel this is just part of it.

When you see an auld one roaring the team on instead of the usual sitting there with arms folded you know something good is happening with the crowd.

Being saying this for few years but I think Smalling will turn into a great player

Personally, I think he has the most potential of the 'young' centre backs. Give him a run at CB and he could make the spot his own. I honestly think he has world class potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

The great thing about the second punch from DDG was the fact that he took out Vidic as well...obviously I don't want to see our players getting hurt or injured but purely from the goalkeepers perspective it was great to see so much authority, the lad just keeps on improving and learning, if we keep him happy we are set for the next 15 years for a keeper.

Delighted with the result. Looked very comfortable for long stretches though we were hanging on a bit in the second half, we were hanging on in such a way that you didn't really believe Arsenal would score.

The team is looking real solid defensively lately, it's a basis from which we can really kick on.

• Advertisement

v3ttel wrote: »
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11899/9021767/borussia-dortmund-attacker-marco-reus-does-have-release-clause-in-his-contract

If I could pick one player to come to United apart from Messi/Ronaldo, it would be Reus. He is absolutely brilliant, and is more suited to a wide role than Kagawa.
    Read on RedIssue (main forum, decent poster) that Draxler is a major target - so it could be we are looking at both of them, hoping we get one of them. (surely we couldn't get both!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

ericzeking wrote: »
    The great thing about the second punch from DDG was the fact that he took out Vidic as well...obviously I don't want to see our players getting hurt or injured but purely from the goalkeepers perspective it was great to see so much authority, the lad just keeps on improving and learning, if we keep him happy we are set for the next 15 years for a keeper.

Delighted with the result. Looked very comfortable for long stretches though we were hanging on a bit in the second half, we were hanging on in such a way that you didn't really believe Arsenal would score.

The team is looking real solid defensively lately, it's a basis from which we can really kick on.

there was one earlier(where he managed to not take out a teammate :D) where the ball nearly reached the halfway line was very impressed he is becoming the complete keeper. hope we tie him down to a long long contract. can see madrid and barca coming in for him eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

magnumbud wrote: »
    there was one earlier(where he managed to not take out a teammate :D) where the ball nearly reached the halfway line was very impressed he is becoming the complete keeper. hope we tie him down to a long long contract. can see madrid and barca coming in for him eventually

Barca would be the worry alright, having come up through the system at Athletico I would have thought Real would be unlikely.

I bet when Vidic watches it back he will be delighted that DDG took him out, it's exactly what defenders need, that assertiveness. I think it will help Vidic to trust DDG more as it has been noticeable how close Vidic tends to get to DDG when crosses come in as he tries to deal with it rather than leaving the keeper do so. I mentioned here before that some of the mistakes DDG has been credited with were as a result of defenders (usually Vidic) essentially getting in his way. They will think twice in future!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

v3ttel wrote: »

According to Honigstein the release clause is common knowledge in Germany for over a year, but it doesn't kick in until summer 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

ericzeking wrote: »
    Barca would be the worry alright, having come up through the system at Athletico I would have thought Real would be unlikely.

I bet when Vidic watches it back he will be delighted that DDG took him out, it's exactly what defenders need, that assertiveness. I think it will help Vidic to trust DDG more as it has been noticeable how close Vidic tends to get to DDG when crosses come in as he tries to deal with it rather than leaving the keeper do so. I mentioned here before that some of the mistakes DDG has been credited with were as a result of defenders (usually Vidic) essentially getting in his way. They will think twice in future!

yeah i wouldnt expect him to go to Real but doesnt stop real coming out and saying they want him in their special way.

magnumbud wrote: »
    yeah i wouldnt expect him to go to Real but doesnt stop real coming out and saying they want him in their special way.

There's another 'keeper in Manchester who could be available soon,Madrid can have him & hands off our Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

dahat wrote: »

Id take that, but if theres a Dortmund player we are after it should be Gundogan.

Gundongan,Reus,Khedeira & Di Maria all in the papers since Saturday.If by some miracle we buy all 4 this place will explode.

tumblr_inline_mqp696QEUD1qz4rgp.gif

zerks wrote: »
    Gundongan,Reus,Khedeira & Di Maria all in the papers since Saturday.If by some miracle we buy all 4 this place will explode.

ah come on lad, have you not learned anything!? odds and history would suggest that we will sign none of them unless as you said, a miracle happens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Given they turned down a 40m offer for Khedira in the summer, I'm not sure if I'd be happy with out interest in him continuing...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement