Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - 2013/14 Mod warning post #718

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,381 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hmm. I'd rate Lallana higher than average tbh. Not that I would sign him, but he's better than that.

An average signing, as opposed to an average player.

Would he improve the squad - yes, better on the left than Young would be.

Would he improve the first 11 and help bridge the gap to Bayern/Barca/Real? Not a hope of it, imo.

As Moyes himself said, we need to improve the first 11, as a priority imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

An average signing, as opposed to an average player.

Would he improve the squad - yes, better on the left than Young would be.

Would he improve the first 11 and help bridge the gap to Bayern/Barca/Real? Not a hope of it, imo.

As Moyes himself said, we need to improve the first 11, as a priority imo.

Wouldnt he be better than our wingers atm? Barring Nani

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Does't matter if the story is true, the discussion is based specifically on it being true.

No idea how much potential he has? Jesus C.... he is 25, we can have a fair idea of his potential, enough to discuss it.

No idea if it would work out - sure that is the same for every transfer EVER so I suppose for you we should remove Gossip/Rumours part of the thread. No point discussing what could happen in the future - no one can possibly know.

SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH.

He got an England call up. He is in a team getting rave reviews. A team in 3rd position worth a fraction of those teams below them, including UTD. Its would seem he is progressing fine and has potential.

But you didn't want to discuss that, your first reaction was FOM and I'll blame him.

Repeat anti Moyes sentiments ad nauseam because I'm still ticked off over the transfer window. Thats not discussion of a player, thats bs.

Wouldnt he be better than our wingers atm? Barring Nani

Would prefer we stuck with Kagawa or Januzaj on the left rather than sign Lallana, if you are taking that Lallana will be the full scope of improvement to the left of midfield.

He got an England call up. He is in a team getting rave reviews. A team in 3rd position worth a fraction of those teams below them, including UTD. Its would seem he is progressing fine and has potential.

But you didn't want to discuss that, your first reaction was FOM and I'll blame him.

Repeat anti Moyes sentiments ad nauseam because I'm still ticked off over the transfer window. Thats not discussion of a player, thats bs.

Lambert got an England call up, should we bid for him? Jagielka and Walker are playing tonight too - should we look to sign them up?

I didn't think I needed to post out full thoughts behind absolutely everything on here...

Your first response to me included this post of mine:

"I don't mind signing players from 'lower' sides. Would happily take Shaw from Southampton. Would gladly bring Morrison back from West Ham, Cabaye from Newcastle, Benteke from Villa off the top of my head. I just see Lallana as an utterly average target if true.

Moyes has said the squad is fine, the first 11 needs improving. IMO, Lallana wouldn't significantly improve the United first 11."

That is indeed a discussion of a player I don't rate as a good enough target.

But you ignore that cause you simply want to have a pop at me. Your own BS right there.

• Advertisement

Lambert got an England call up, should we bid for him? Jagielka and Walker are playing tonight too - should we look to sign them up?

I didn't think I needed to post out full thoughts behind absolutely everything on here...

Your first response to me included this post of mine:

"I don't mind signing players from 'lower' sides. Would happily take Shaw from Southampton. Would gladly bring Morrison back from West Ham, Cabaye from Newcastle, Benteke from Villa off the top of my head. I just see Lallana as an utterly average target if true.

Moyes has said the squad is fine, the first 11 needs improving. IMO, Lallana wouldn't significantly improve the United first 11."

That is indeed a discussion of a player I don't rate as a good enough target.

But you ignore that cause you simply want to have a pop at me. Your own BS right there.

I was responding to your FOM and I'll blame Moyes tripe at the time you replied. I hadn't seen this yet. Still the point stands.

Do you think that FOM & blame etc is an adequate response to a rumor we might be signing a player? A mf player? If so it says it all really.

Lallana would improve our first 11 imo. He is better than Clev who just cant cut it. Carrick is getting on and Fellaini will be out from the wrist op in the new year.

Look what is going on with Southmpton, who know how Lallana could flourish in a top class set up.

I had a pop at you FOM and blame posts because they were bs plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I see any potential Llallana signing in the context of an impending clear out in the coming windows.
    From what I have seen of him he looks well above average and he was captaining Southampton from a young age so his Mentaliteeeeeee (said in Traps voice) must be good. Has come up through the leagues so his age profile is slightly different to your typical up and comer.

There's every chance he could flourish at United.

I was responding to your FOM and I'll blame Moyes tripe at the time you replied. I hadn't seen this yet. Still the point stands.

Only going to respond to this part of your post as it is a blatant lie, so I will assume the rest of your post is also a lie.

This is your first response to me:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87574708&postcount=445

It contains lines from this post of mine:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87574628&postcount=443

Which is the first time I said 'blame moyes' - in direct response to Homer saying you can't blame Moyes for this type of signing. My use of blame was contextual.

However, in your latest post (most of which I'm ignoring cause the first part is a lie) you claim that you hadn't seen the other bit I highlighted to you despite you selectively quoting it. Well. Fracking. Done.

FOM is f*ck off Moyes is it?

This is my first time coming across this....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ericzeking wrote: »
    I see any potential Llallana signing in the context of an impending clear out in the coming windows.

that is what i would be hoping for too! Signing Lallana would be fine, if it meant the signing would be funded/part funded by selling the likes of Young, even Valencia & Anderson.

our next three main singings will be a CB, LB and an ACM however with the impending departures of Rio, Evra and Giggs so either way, there is a big shake up coming, this time next year id expect 5 or more of our current squad will not be playing for us anymore.

• Advertisement

FOM is f*ck off Moyes is it?

This is my first time coming across this....

Yep.

And, to be clear, it is not me calling for Moyes to be sacked. Simply that I don't particularly like Lallana as a target. Similar to how I spoke out against the seeming desire of Fergie to sell DDG after his first season with us.

that is what i would be hoping for too! Signing Lallana would be fine, if it meant the signing would be funded/part funded by selling the likes of Young, even Valencia & Anderson.

our next three main singings will be a CB, LB and an ACM however with the impending departures of Rio, Evra and Giggs so either way, there is a big shake up coming, this time next year id expect 5 or more of our current squad will not be playing for us anymore.

Indeed - as I said myself Lallana would be a decent buy for, basically, the bench. With some other awesome winger on the left. (or right, where he has seemingly played more often).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

idk id wait for any transfer window to give out stink tbh

Headshot wrote: »
    idk id wait for any transfer window to give out stink tbh

Ah, the 'wait and see' brigade get started!:D:p

AGREEMENT, I might save a screenshot of this page!!! :)

AGREEMENT, I might save a screenshot of this page!!! :)

we have agreed about alot of things since the transfer window closed....im starting to get worried :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,653 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

tbh im usually the opposite lol

I just dont believe we'd go any where near Llallana so hence im not mad

well, im more relaxed about this window, as my expectations are so low. any signing would be a bonus, though i think it will be Baines and that would be underwhelming as we dont need him - a cheaper, younger version should be sourced in the summer when/if Evra leaves.

in saying that, my mood could change depending on how we are fixed after the next 11 games.

well, im more relaxed about this window, as my expectations are so low. any signing would be a bonus, though i think it will be Baines and that would be underwhelming as we dont need him - a cheaper, younger version should be sourced in the summer when/if Evra leaves.

in saying that, my mood could change depending on how we are fixed after the next 11 games.

As with yourself my expectations are low as I think there are too many obsticles for doing good business in January, especially at the calibre of player we should be looking at.

While I think we need to be moving for players of Fabregas' ilk in midfield, and I see very little possibility of getting a player like that in January, I would worry if we don't sign a CM. Just look at the state of our MF options over the next few weeks, with Fellaini on the 'going to be out for a number of weeks' list as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lallana is a great player, possibly been the best English player in the league this season and has looked head and shoulders above most teams that Southampton have played this season. A major reason for their league position. With that said, unless both Young and Valencia are leaving I'm not totally sure he's needed but skilled players are always an asset and he probably wouldn't cost a bomb.

• Advertisement

Only going to respond to this part of your post as it is a blatant lie, so I will assume the rest of your post is also a lie.

This is your first response to me:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87574708&postcount=445

It contains lines from this post of mine:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87574628&postcount=443

Which is the first time I said 'blame moyes' - in direct response to Homer saying you can't blame Moyes for this type of signing. My use of blame was contextual.

However, in your latest post (most of which I'm ignoring cause the first part is a lie) you claim that you hadn't seen the other bit I highlighted to you despite you selectively quoting it. Well. Fracking. Done.

Rubbish from start to finish.

Yes I quoted you later replies but as i said I was typing the reply to FOM etc when you were typing yours too Lallana as a prospect. Its not that hard to grasp or a lie.

I don't keep multiple tabs open and refresh them when typing in case you post again, especially not when your posting is so poor and bile filled.

We are tying to sign a player, so you know what Moyes you can FO!!!! :confused:

In all fairness, just take a look at your logic. FOM? Really FOM?

Rubbish from start to finish.

Yes I quoted you later replies but as i said I was typing the reply to FOM etc when you were typing yours too Lallana as a prospect. Its not that hard to grasp or a lie.

I don't keep multiple tabs open and refresh them when typing in case you post again, especially not when your posting is so poor and bile filled.

We are tying to sign a player, so you know what Moyes you can FO!!!! :confused:

In all fairness, just take a look at your logic. FOM? Really FOM?

You said your initial comment was in response to FOM AND 'Blaming Moyes.

The blaming moyes part came in a post you selectively quoted and lied about (saying you hadn't seen it).

You lied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Liam O wrote: »
    Lallana is a great player, possibly been the best English player in the league this season and has looked head and shoulders above most teams that Southampton have played this season. A major reason for their league position. With that said, unless both Young and Valencia are leaving I'm not totally sure he's needed but skilled players are always an asset and he probably wouldn't cost a bomb.

+1 think he's a great bit of stuff.

Clearly better as a winger than anyone in the United squad, including Nani on the form of about two years which tbh has to be taken as his level now until proven otherwise. Would also be better than Kagawa at playing inside left I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Really wish a mod was here to say take it to pm.....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Take it to pm Mick :p

You said your initial comment was in response to FOM AND 'Blaming Moyes.

The blaming moyes part came in a post you selectively quoted and lied about (saying you hadn't seen it).

You lied.

Nothing selective about it, you are clearly ready to blame Moyes for something that hasn't even happened yet, its indicative of your agenda all summer long and this season so far, its seen clearly below . My point was this and FOM was your response to the Lallana news. It speaks volumes of your attitude.
    And yes, I would blame Moyes. I don't care what our transfer policy was before him (and Woodward). It is a new era of management at United and we should not be relying on old policies, particularly as the football landscape has changed so much in the last 10 years.

You then moaned about me not reading your discussion about Lallanas potential. Its been explained already but again you choose to ignore it. It was that post I missed not the blame Moyes post, I read that and its as bad now as when it was posted that your are ready to blame him for signing a good player before its happened.

Can I ask you the following, what are you going to blame him for exactly, should this even happen? For Lallana not making it at UTD or not strenghtening our first team? The fact the Moyes made him our only signing in January or next summer? For ignoring other top class MF's over Lallana? Please state what exactly what you will be blaming him for? I don't have a crystal ball and can't see how Lallana will work out if we sign him so I can't comment or que up blame in my mind for a situation that may not even happen or could be good when it happens. I prefer to keep an open mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Lallana signed a 5 year contract extension in April. The Southampton chairman doesn't seem the type to sell off their best players. Think it's rubbish tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Lallana, Lallana........

Right here is my issue, if we are signing Lallana to be squad depth and moving out Young, getting Lallana on cheaper wages etc then ok, I can accept that as good business.

If we are signing a guy who will be 26 in the summer and supposed to be in the prime of his career for potential, that's rubbish

If we are looking to sign him thinking he will make a significant improvement to the first team, well, frankly that's rubbish too.

He is a decent player but we really should be aiming higher then that, the signing will do nothing to make us stronger and better equipped for a European challenge. If Young and Valencia were both to be shipped out I would take him as back up to another signing but at this stage I would rather then Kagawa getting game time, Im sure he can become effective from the left in time, if he is never going to be played properly through the centre of course, and I would rather use the back up role to continue developing Januzaj.

I would be whole heartedly against the signing and if he is a Moyes target then yes, I will also go with **** Off Moyes, you are no longer Everton manager, aim higher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Wow, really Lallana?

Come off it. Did the place turn into the British media? Get's his England callup and all of a sudden he's a top player? Come off it. International evel isn't even a level anymore, Champions league is the pinnacle. Best of the luck to the lad, hope he does well, but has a stinking bang of big player small team syndrome, which really hasn't worked out for us all that often.

Looks class with the smaller team he is with, moves to the big leagues and starts to flounder. Indications are we have pretty much healthy financials to be invested. While we have previously done well buying nationally, the games different now in that the reach is all over the globe. This isn't the 90's where we snap up the best premier league talent and romp to a title. Players are coming in far and wide and there is genuine financial power with our rivals now.

There is big money to be spent there, I'm sure of it, so we might be well suited to putting some clubs metal to the test.

I'm all in favour of Young being shown the door. And I want Nani being given more extended runs in the team. I appreciate Valencia's defensive work but he is toothless going forward the last 18 months.

Nani, Valencia, Janners and Kagawa as an auxilery, we have plenty of wingers. Unless there is something in the pipleline of the quality like a Reus, I see no need for another winger.

Get the CM sorted out once and for all, even if it breaks the bank, atleast if it doesnt work out people can finally shut the **** up about the centre midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭SilverFox261

Haven't posted here in a while but the rumour of Lallana is an interesting idea. If it did go through and Moyes does move on Young I see it as a great move in the short term. I think he improves the first 11 but also is not so good that he makes Januzaj a hugely inferior backup. By this I mean Januzaj still gets good game time but United acquire a player who improves the first 11 now. If Januzaj develops like everyone hopes he does, in 2/3 years time he can take the first 11 spot from Lallana and United have not spent a fortune on a player who has now become backup to the first team.

If you brought a Ribery like star name for example, it would be hard to justify dropping him regularly for a player like Januzaj I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

TheDoc wrote: »
    Wow, really Lallana?

Come off it. Did the place turn into the British media? Get's his England callup and all of a sudden he's a top player? Come off it. International evel isn't even a level anymore, Champions league is the pinnacle. Best of the luck to the lad, hope he does well, but has a stinking bang of big player small team syndrome, which really hasn't worked out for us all that often.

Looks class with the smaller team he is with, moves to the big leagues and starts to flounder. Indications are we have pretty much healthy financials to be invested. While we have previously done well buying nationally, the games different now in that the reach is all over the globe. This isn't the 90's where we snap up the best premier league talent and romp to a title. Players are coming in far and wide and there is genuine financial power with our rivals now.

There is big money to be spent there, I'm sure of it, so we might be well suited to putting some clubs metal to the test.

I'm all in favour of Young being shown the door. And I want Nani being given more extended runs in the team. I appreciate Valencia's defensive work but he is toothless going forward the last 18 months.

Nani, Valencia, Janners and Kagawa as an auxilery, we have plenty of wingers. Unless there is something in the pipleline of the quality like a Reus, I see no need for another winger.

Get the CM sorted out once and for all, even if it breaks the bank, atleast if it doesnt work out people can finally shut the **** up about the centre midfield.

Forget the media. I think most people here are judging Lallana on the first 11 games of the PL in which he has been outstanding. Certainly been in the top 6/7 performers this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Does Moyes think he is still at Everton? Lallana would be a great signing for them. Manchester United? Not so much.

Personally I think he will join the likes of Sidwell, Parker, Moses, Pienaar, Johnson and Scott Sinclair, players who had stand out seasons at smaller clubs, got a big move and then proceeded to make no impact whatsoever.

By the way, getting an England call up isn't worth a damn in my opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I quite like Lallana, so am happy enough if he's a squad addition, especially if he replaces Young.

But I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

if he replaces Young

A lot of people mentioning this, who would take him/pay his wages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This rumuor of advanced negotiations has only appeared here so I'd wait before you start laying into Moyes.

• Advertisement

Julez wrote: »
    A lot of people mentioning this, who would take him/pay his wages?

Spurs maybe, Newcastle?

I doubt he would be keen to move and I doubt he will be moving any time soon though

kryogen wrote: »
    Spurs maybe, Newcastle?

I doubt he would be keen to move and I doubt he will be moving any time soon though

Downing got a move to West Ham, I'm sure we could fire Young off to someone.

Downing got a move to West Ham, I'm sure we could fire Young off to someone.

Me too, as long as he would be willing to go, he could just Malouda the situation like :)

Lallana, Lallana........

Right here is my issue, if we are signing Lallana to be squad depth and moving out Young, getting Lallana on cheaper wages etc then ok, I can accept that as good business.

If we are signing a guy who will be 26 in the summer and supposed to be in the prime of his career for potential, that's rubbish

If we are looking to sign him thinking he will make a significant improvement to the first team, well, frankly that's rubbish too.

He is a decent player but we really should be aiming higher then that, the signing will do nothing to make us stronger and better equipped for a European challenge. If Young and Valencia were both to be shipped out I would take him as back up to another signing but at this stage I would rather then Kagawa getting game time, Im sure he can become effective from the left in time, if he is never going to be played properly through the centre of course, and I would rather use the back up role to continue developing Januzaj.

I would be whole heartedly against the signing and if he is a Moyes target then yes, I will also go with **** Off Moyes, you are no longer Everton manager, aim higher

Thats it really. If we are signing him. Will he be used wide or central? We don't know. Given Youngs ability and Vals form I don't think its a bad move.

As for Lallana being the height of Moyes ambition when it comes to signings. He tried for Fabregas & Khedira so we know this is simply not the case. Therefore FO's are unwarrented. He could be one of who knows how many signings Moyes has planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭bren2001

Me too, as long as he would be willing to go, he could just Malouda the situation like :)

He will want to go to the World Cup. Just tell him he wont get game time and he will be off. I image we will have to pay some of his wages after he is gone, can't see a club taking him on with big wages.

• Advertisement

does anybody think that Fellaini was a back up/last chance saloon option and we only signed him last minute, as we realised that other deals were falling through (Kheidra & Herrara)?

it really is impossible to say for sure either way that had one of those deals come through,whether or not we would have signed Fellani. logically, it would explain why we signed him on the last day of the windows as opposed to the first week, but i would hope we were intending on signing 2 players for CM and this would leave scope for a CM signing in january.

for those who are getting excited about reus, where exactly would he fit in right now, assuming this is our best front 6 -

Carrick
    Fellaini
    Janz/Nani
    Kagawa
    Rooney
    RVP

does anybody think that Fellaini was a back up/last chance saloon option and we only signed him last minute, as we realised that other deals were falling through (Kheidra & Herrara)?

it really is impossible to say for sure either way that had one of those deals come through,whether or not we would have signed Fellani. logically, it would explain why we signed him on the last day of the windows as opposed to the first week, but i would hope we were intending on signing 2 players for CM and this would leave scope for a CM signing in january.

for those who are getting excited about reus, where exactly would he fit in right now, assuming this is our best front 6 -

Carrick
    Fellaini
    Janz/Nani
    Kagawa
    Rooney
    RVP

Personally, no.

I think fellaini was always planned, but wanted as a squad option, not as first choice first 11.

I think Moyes wanted Carrick and Fabregas as fist choice pairing, for example, with the option of bringing in Fellaini should tactics, tiredness or injuries require.

As for Reus, he would play on the left, where you have Rooney, with Rooney where you have Kagawa. Simple, really, with Reus being a more natural winger than Kagawa will ever be.

No. We bid for him and Baines earlier in the window. Many sources confirmed this and were posted here throughout the summer.

Moyes himself also confirmed it later on in the window when he explained that the reason we had to pay over Fellaini's buy out clause was that he was trying to do a deal for both him and Baines together in one purchase which is why the buyout clause deadline passed when that deal didn't come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Carrick
    Fellaini
    Janz/Nani
    Kagawa
    Rooney
    RVP

I think you have it spot on Homer. Id say Kheidra or Herrara were first choice and when they werent going to happen Fellaini was signed to try to keep us fans happy. Not saying whether it was Moyes or the boards fault / decision.

Reus would repalce Nani imo, with Adnan as cover for Reus, Kags & Rooney.

Speculation now with regard to Lallana. Surely either Cayabe or Dembele would be more obvious targets. I would be taking a punt on one of them in Jan.

Robson99 wrote: »
    I think you have it spot on Homer. Id say Kheidra or Herrara were first choice and when they werent going to happen Fellaini was signed to try to keep us fans happy. Not saying whether it was Moyes or the boards fault / decision.

Reus would repalce Nani imo, with Adnan as cover for Reus, Kags & Rooney.

Speculation now with regard to Lallana. Surely either Cayabe or Dembele would be more obvious targets. I would be taking a punt on one of them in Jan.

We only bid for Kheidra and Herrera on deadline day, basically, while we bid for Fellaini before that - so i don't think those bids mean Fellaini was second choice to them. Herrera would also be a very different type of player, so it wouldn't make sense to me - unless Moyes had no idea what he wanted.

I would hazzard that Kheidra was a late punt, when it looked like we might not get the Fellaini deal over the line in the end.

As regards the whole first choice idea to begin with - I can't see how we could view any of Kheidra, Coentrao or Herrera as first choices - considering the stage of the window we made a move for them. While have bid for or been in talks for Thiago, Fabregas, Fellaini and Baines well before them - possibly De Rossi too.

Robson99 wrote: »
    I think you have it spot on Homer.

Its not spot on. We were in for Fellaini very early in the window. He was not a panic or backup signing. He was a very early target.

If anything I think Moyes plans for the MF are still unclear. How to fit in all the players we attempted to sign. Moyes plans in this department are not finished or even started really considering he didn't get who he wanted in the summer.

Moyes himself also confirmed it later on in the window when he explained that the reason we had to pay over Fellaini's buy out clause was that he was trying to do a deal for both him and Baines together in one purchase which is why the buyout clause deadline passed when that deal didn't come off.

still doesn't answer why we waited until literally, the last minute though to sign him.

the plus side of it, would suggest that Moyes knows that we actually need 2 midfielders and may try sign that player in the next window.

does anybody have that list of CM players who are realistic targets and able to identify which ones of them are not cup tied?

i guess at this stage, Herrara is the most likely signing in CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

As regards the whole first choice idea to begin with - I can't see how we could view any of Kheidra, Coentrao or Herrera as first choices - considering the stage of the window we made a move for them. While have bid for or been in talks for Thiago, Fabregas, Fellaini and Baines well before them - possibly De Rossi too.

Sorry Mitch meant first choice in the last couple of days of the Transfer Window when it was obvious that Farbergas & Baines werent going to happen.
    There are many conflicting stories in regards to the last transfer window so its hard to know what exactly happened

still doesn't answer why we waited until literally, the last minute though to sign him.

the plus side of it, would suggest that Moyes knows that we actually need 2 midfielders and may try sign that player in the next window.

does anybody have that list of CM players who are realistic targets and able to identify which ones of them are not cup tied?

Its anyones guess. I wouldnt place the blame solely with Moyes or Woodward. Moyes joined us very quickly and was in for Fellaini and Baines quickly. Maybe well before the papers reported it. I believe both players wanted to come. This was before Martinez joined Everton iirc

Then we had the whole insulting bid statements. My guess is Martinez wanted hang onto both players as they are and were two of Evertons top players.

He put up a fight but we got one of them and will eventually have both. Who knows how many calls went back and forth or were ignored between the first bid, the players letting it be know to senior managment they wanted to leave, Martinez trying to keep the players and looking for the backing of the chairman and us eventually getting our man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Moyes started in July. It has been stated by himself and Woodward that he wanted to assess the current squad of players before deciding what positions he wanted to bring in. LB and CM (maybe another?) were identified as the positions.

They used the ruse which Barca and Madrid have used for years when trying to prize star players away from clubs, publicly declaring interest in Cesc.

Everton would not allow any player to leave until they had a new manager and the new manager ideally didn't want anyone to leave, but for sure not until an adequate replacement was secured.

Reasons for them not triggering the release clause in Fellaini's contract might be them waiting to see if the Cesc situation would develop; they wanted to keep good relations with Everton or they didn't want to rock the boat further with Everton, who were considering making a complaint about the manner in which the Moyes move was handled.

The links to other players, (Woodward has said the Herrera one was dead before deadline day) are often just media rumours or red-herrings, either can help in negotiation as, whether true or not, it can imply that they have other options.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement